Sign in to follow this  
Director

UBIsoft caught installing rootkits.

Just a headsup.

Link

Assasin's Creed installs dangerous software -- can we say "class action lawsuit"?

Google, Inc. (GOOG) engineer Tavis Ormandy has created a world of woe for French software giant Ubisoft Entertainment S.A. (EPA:UBI) after he revealed that the company was endangering customers by installing dangerous software that opened a back-door to their machines.

Ubisoft is well known for its best-selling Assassin's Creed, Rayman, and Far Cry franchises, as well as a number of Tom Clancy titles (e.g. the Splinter Cell series). But according to Mr. Ormandy, Ubisoft's recent software comes with a dangerous attachment -- a browser plugin designed to support the company's secured Uplay service.

The browser plug-in acts as an accidental Trojan, allows arbitrary code execution via the opened "door" inside the affected browser. Ubisoft uses the plugin to check if the installed title is valid, allowing gamers access to online play and achievements. But according to Mr. Ormandy hackers could also exploit the open door in escalation of privileges attacks on the users' machine.

Hundreds of thousands of PC gamers are believed to be affected.

Affected titles include 5 Assassin’s Creed games, 3 Tom Clancy games, as well as popular titles such as Driver: San Francisco, and Settlers 7. Mr. Ormandy first observed the exploitable plug-in while installing Assassin's Creed: Revelations.

Ubisoft denies it here: Link

We just heard back from a spokesperson from Ubisoft Entertainment S.A. (EPA:UBI) regarding claims that dozens of its most popular titles contained a browser plugin that acted as a rootkit.

There was some skepticism among readers regarding whether this was a true "rootkit". Writes ForceCredit, "The described behavior of the DRM package doesn't define a rootkit at all. It may be an evil nonetheless, but let's be accurate here instead of using the R-word to inflame people by misdirection."

it would be great if a class action came about and they got stung

i havent bought any games since the woeful far cry 2 fro ubi

if a persons computer was shown to be damaged or have data loss through negligence on ubis side they should get beaten(literally) in public

so this morning, Firefox popped a message saying it had disable the uPlay plugin due to a security threat.

I only installed uPlay because it was the only way I could play From Dust that I had purchased from Steam.

People still buy Ubisoft games?

I have not purchased any since they started this brain dead strategy of always online DRM.

yeah, I wouldn't have bought it if I knew it required uPlay :(

I have not purchased any since they started this brain dead strategy of always online DRM.

This. I've been avoiding Ubisoft games for a while.

I wish I held off on buying Anno 2070 for ONE MORE DAY so I could see this news first.

I thought, "Can't be too bad, lots of people are playing and no bad things said about Ubi that I've seen."

Mother fucker. Just uninstalled uplay and put a crack onto the game. Now I know. Lesson learned.

Back to pirating more shit that they release...

lol settle down, theyve already patched it to fix it and it was only a security hole because the browser plugin had permissions to run any program on the computer, it now simply only has permissions to launch uplay.

lol settle down, theyve already patched it to fix it and it was only a security hole because the browser plugin had permissions to run any program on the computer, it now simply only has permissions to launch uplay.

not picking on you mate, but does this mean they both denied it and patched it?

But the additional shit to get in my way remains.

Sorry, I'm just sick of all this bloatware I have to install.

It's sad that people have avoided Ubisoft games due to the always-on DRM. I've mainly played the affected games on console, so it didn't affect me, but you're missing out on some great games thanks to your stance on the DRM which is a shame.

Not blaming anyone for taking the stance, just saying it's a shame you have to miss out on Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell: Conviction etc.

It wasn't a 'rootkit', it was still bad though. I'm lucky I played all the recent Ubi games I wanted to play on console, since I didn't have a capable PC until semi-recently :P

I might try the new AC, but the older ones bored me after not long.

I will always try games before I buy, if they cost over $20.

If I want a game for it's multiplayer, I'll def buy it then.

+1

After the debacle of From Dust, that company has 0 credibility in my books. I'll donate my money to the Muslim Brotherhood before sending a cent to Ubitchsoft.

Whenever people complain about Always on DRM, whether it's from Ubisoft or any other company, I always wonder why they give Steam a free pass.

If your internet is disconnected unexpectedly, and you haven't gone into 'offline mode' ahead of time, you cannot play any of your games purchased through Steam. This is always-on DRM, yet Valve the saviours of PC gaming, get a free pass for it when Ubisoft are the devil for attempting to do the same thing.

What gives?

Whenever people complain about Always on DRM, whether it's from Ubisoft or any other company, I always wonder why they give Steam a free pass.

If your internet is disconnected unexpectedly, and you haven't gone into 'offline mode' ahead of time, you cannot play any of your games purchased through Steam. This is always-on DRM, yet Valve the saviours of PC gaming, get a free pass for it when Ubisoft are the devil for attempting to do the same thing.

What gives?

They don't get a free pass from me. I do have a Steam account - it has less than a dozen titles on it; all acquired in one frenzied buying session. I haven't played any of them for nearly a year.

That's a pretty fucking big hole.

Stopped buying Ubisoft games when they introduced always online features, bought a couple cheap but downloaded cracked copys but other than that

nup

What gives?

Ubisoft's DRM is much more intrusive.

There were several times when I wanted to play Anno 2070 and even though my internet connection was up. it couldn't authenticate to uplay for some reason, so it would sit on the opening screen for about a minute before telling me it gave up and I couldn't play. I can't remember the last time steam was down for me.

Also if you were in the middle of a game and it lost its connection to the auth servers it would kick you out of the game. Steam doesn't do that.

I don't know if uplay even HAS an offline mode. At least with steam if you set it up on your laptop or whatever to go into offline mode when you leave you can play without an internet connection, I don't know if uplay lets you do that at all.

Bullshit steam doesn't let you go into offline mode.

I've tried it on a couple of occasions and I never had to set anything up.

I don't mind steam because it's been there for a while and it was the only service I had to worry about. I didn't like it at first of course.

But now these other bigwigs are trying to cash in. I can understand they're a business and need to make money, but fuck, seriously, don't fuck your customers around like this.

What gives?

I also have never given them a free pass, any online DRM system is BS.

The only reason I don't (often) complain about steam is most of the games I bought on it only costed me less than $20 each, so i'm willing to make a sacrifice.