Sign in to follow this  
jedibob

SKYRIM Shutdowns

Hello fellow gamers ,

This is a question to those playing SKYRIM on PC.

I have tried playing off-line and on Steam Cloud but I have a problem where the game closes down back to the desktop page when I go near Hag's End Cave or Frostlight Lighthouse.I can't fast travel to these places but I can to a location near by but when I head to either location the game suddenly dissappears.Someone suggested a dragon maybe trying to spawn in the area and there is a glitch.

Hoping some one can enlighten me.

JediBob

Tried all the usual fixes like updating drivers and re-installing the game files?

Got any mods enabled? If so, try disabling them and see if it works again.

Yeah pretty sure I had that problem as well. I 'think' I got around it by running in DX10. I know I did something to fix it so if it comes to me and the DX10 thing wasn't it I'll get back to you. :)

Checked that you have the latest patches? Are you running any mods as disabling them might help.

try verifying skyrim files with steam

I had a similar problem on a particular quest line. I believe it was fixed with a patch... maybe make sure the game has updated to the latest version.

edit: speeling

Edited by martyr

To all those who responded , thank you.

I've checked on Steam and all updates are current and all graphics drivers for my GPU are updated.

I haven't modded the game as off yet and probably won't until I fix this problem.

I have tried to play the game off-line incase it was a Steam Cloud issue but it does it offline also.

Sometimes I can play 10 hours without a problem then it happens every 10 minutes.

I've also tried dropping the graphics to LOW but it looks shit.

I'm considering upgrading my GPU to a GTX670 or HD7950.

If anyone does come up with a fix that would be great.

Have you looked at your event logs to see if an error is being written when the game crashes?

Edited by PointZeroOne

It has come up with ' Skyrim - error 51 ' a few times which I believe is a start up error.When it does crash and I restart the game it comes up with a panel to ask if I have been playing on another PC which I haven't.

I have the exact same issues jedibob. I could play for hours without a hitch and other times I get a crash to the desktop.

I just reinstalled Windows with a new motherboard, CPU and RAM (new SSD too). Video card was a recent purchase HD7850 and an ASUS Xonar Essence STX which was from the old build.

Prior to the rebuild, I would get a freeze occuring. Now with this it's just the crash to desktop.

The reason you are most likely getting the panel about "playing on another computer" is that the crash seems to not trigger the automatic backup of your save games. I have the same problem too and force it to upload from the computer I am playing on. Sometimes it requires a restart of Steam after a crash to make that work properly.

I have no advice for you (just here to join you in your pain) and was only just starting to look for a solution myself.

Is the "memory capacity bug" still an issue? It was when I was playing it. There was a small command file someone had set up to allow the game access to 4GB of RAM instead of the default 2GB. Solved all most of my crash to desktop problems.

@unco_tomato, Skyrim has been patched to use more than 2GB since Version 1.3.10.0 which is quite old.

@OP, I'm guessing the issue could be something related to the patch. Just revalidate the files and see if that works.