NukeJockey

Violence in video games

Violence in Video Games  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you turn violence off/down when given the choice?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on the game (clarify in thread)

I generally don't but I found that in dragon age, the constant blood dripping off everyone was just distracting, so I turned it off. But as a general rule I wouldn't.

Generally no, but if kids are about, I tend to switch it off or tone it down such as TF2 (amusing to see balloons sprout where they are gibbed).

But to Cybes, I have to ask, what happens if a kid DOES get hold of a particular game you're playing. What then? For me, I can't escape the fact I game with quite a large number of games that do have violence. So are you suggesting I should bin these games when I have a kid?

But to Cybes, I have to ask, what happens if a kid DOES get hold of a particular game you're playing. What then? For me, I can't escape the fact I game with quite a large number of games that do have violence. So are you suggesting I should bin these games when I have a kid?

No, I am not suggesting that. No more than I suggest that you dispose of your kitchen knives, gardening equipment, knitting needles, or any other thing that you don't want your kids to stab themselves in the brain with or drink.

What I am saying, quite strongly, is that if you don't want your kids in these things, then it's up to you to secure them. Lock 'em up, hide 'em, or don't buy them in first place. Or, you could just try teaching them that some things are not to played with - like knives.

No, I am not suggesting that. No more than I suggest that you dispose of your kitchen knives, gardening equipment, knitting needles, or any other thing that you don't want your kids to stab themselves in the brain with or drink.

What I am saying, quite strongly, is that if you don't want your kids in these things, then it's up to you to secure them. Lock 'em up, hide 'em, or don't buy them in first place. Or, you could just try teaching them that some things are not to played with - like knives.

Hurray, common sense is not dead yet!

I don't think I've ever turned violence options down. I like to play the game as close to how the developer intended as I can, and censoring parts of it just takes me further from their vision.

If the violence was enough to make me consider turning it down, I'd probably nto want to play the game in general.

God Of War 3's violence can sometimes make me squeamish, as can some of the fatalities in Mortal Kombat (not that it stops me playing them), but Lollipop Chainsaw's stupid fun violence doesn't phase me in the slightest.

I love the blood and gore. Makes it so "Realistic" and more fun. If people are so grossed out by blood, why are they wanting to play a game where you shoot everybody. That's the question to me.

/whispers "Necromancy!"

Ahem. Helluva bump you have here, ma'am.

If anything I tend to turn the gore up if there is an option.

Cartoon violence = no real fear, no smell, end of day all get to go home and play again tomorrow = not real, is game.

Sure keep it away from the kiddies that's a given.

Edited by Waltish

I find with most people I know that is a game contains violence it is rarely turned down, and if it is then it's only because we are playing it in front of younger people or because it makes our systems lag.

I personally see no point in turning down violence. If I buy a game that is a first person shooter I'm going to expect violence, same as any other zombie apocalypse or horror games I play. Maybe not so much in my Indie games but they all have killing things with their own kind of "Violence" I suppose it depends on what you consider "Violence". Even Angry Birds is considered Violent by some people XD

But yeah, as I've said; violence is good XD