Sign in to follow this  
james91

not sure whats going on....... please help.

i brought a Netgear DGND3700 N600 modem router on the 15th of last month and everything was great my downloads almost doubled in speed, never had drop outs like i use to on my old netgear DG834G v3. i went away last weekend and everything was still working fine but when i came back on the sunday my internet started going really slow so i ran speed test and it showed downloads at only 89kb/s i thought maybe someone else was trying to download so i let it go but the last week my speed has still been slower then what i got on my old modem im lucky to get up to about 340kb/s my ping goes from 15-100ms depending on the speed test results. this morning i reset the modem still had not luck so i did a factory reset and still no luck its still going really slow and im the only person using the internet atm i checked attached decives and it only shows my laptop and my desktop.

is the fault in the N600 do i need to send it back or could it be another problem?

hopefully it is a simple fix that i have just plan forgotten to look at.

any and all help will be appreciated.

Have you contacted your ISP ? there might be an issue on there end, esp if your with DoDo or TPG...

Edited by dishd

Several possible causes apart from the router.

1) Severe congestion on your exchange or RIM. This will most often manifest itself as very slow internet in the evenings after about 4PM with daytome speeds after 8AM being normal or almost normal.

2) You have a borked filter, incorrectly fitted filter on your phone ports or an unfiltered device connected somewhere.

Best check for this is an Isolation test. Disconnect every phone, fax, Foxtel box or any other device from every single phone port in the building. Connect the modem direct to a phone port with a short phone lead and leave off the filter splitter. test. If ok then you have found the fault.

3) You have a line fault of some sort. A quick check is to pick up the phone and dial one digit to silence the dial tone and have a listen for noise. Any crackles, hums or other crap and you report a voice fault to your voice provider. Do not mention ADSL. If you have a naked connection then plug in a phone and lift the handset and listen for noise. If there is noise report an ADSL fault to your ISP.

Can you log in to the modems interface and post the line stats?

Select Advanced Home, or select Administration > Router Status > Internet Port statistics button. A window should pop up displaying some stuff. In the ADSL Link section copy and paste the Link rate, Line attenuation and Noise margin figures.

Have you contacted your ISP ? there might be an issue on there end, esp if your with DoDo or TPG...

yeah im with tpg so i might contact them if nothing else works.

Several possible causes apart from the router.

1) Severe congestion on your exchange or RIM. This will most often manifest itself as very slow internet in the evenings after about 4PM with daytome speeds after 8AM being normal or almost normal.

2) You have a borked filter, incorrectly fitted filter on your phone ports or an unfiltered device connected somewhere.

Best check for this is an Isolation test. Disconnect every phone, fax, Foxtel box or any other device from every single phone port in the building. Connect the modem direct to a phone port with a short phone lead and leave off the filter splitter. test. If ok then you have found the fault.

3) You have a line fault of some sort. A quick check is to pick up the phone and dial one digit to silence the dial tone and have a listen for noise. Any crackles, hums or other crap and you report a voice fault to your voice provider. Do not mention ADSL. If you have a naked connection then plug in a phone and lift the handset and listen for noise. If there is noise report an ADSL fault to your ISP.

Can you log in to the modems interface and post the line stats?

Select Advanced Home, or select Administration > Router Status > Internet Port statistics button. A window should pop up displaying some stuff. In the ADSL Link section copy and paste the Link rate, Line attenuation and Noise margin figures.

hey thank you for the reply.

in reply to what you have said.

1) i have never had this problem before my speed was always constant at all times of the day/night.

2) this seems to be the problem i removed my old filter and put a new one on and still had the same problem just did straight from the phone line to the modem and now im back to what it was before i went away. i am going to see if i have another filter now. if not ill have to pick up on up.

will keep posted if this fixes my problem over the next few days.

2) this seems to be the problem i removed my old filter and put a new one on and still had the same problem just did straight from the phone line to the modem and now im back to what it was before i went away. i am going to see if i have another filter now. if not ill have to pick up on up.

Ok then if you removed a phone lead when doing the isolation test also try replacing the lead with a new one. Also try and keep the lead between wall socket and modem as short as possible. better to use longer Ethernet leads as the standard phone lead is a non-twisted pair so can pick up external interference.

For a filter/splitter try and get a C10 Communications C10245M as these seem to be regarded as the best available.

http://www.c10.com.au/products/adsl-filter...plitter-c10245m

Ok then if you removed a phone lead when doing the isolation test also try replacing the lead with a new one. Also try and keep the lead between wall socket and modem as short as possible. better to use longer Ethernet leads as the standard phone lead is a non-twisted pair so can pick up external interference.

For a filter/splitter try and get a C10 Communications C10245M as these seem to be regarded as the best available.

http://www.c10.com.au/products/adsl-filter...plitter-c10245m

i have replaced the phone lead twice the one im using now seems to be working the best out of the ones i have tried. the length is about 3foot as of the position of the modem to where the wall socket is.

i just went out to my shed as i had a few filter/splitters out there and i found a brand new still in the plastic C10245M so i will be swapping this over soon.

well i woke up this morning decided to check on the status again and its back down to being slow again even after doing a reboot on the modem.

last night before i went to sleep it was running at

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream

Connection Speed 9049 kbps 1020 kbps

Line Attenuation 44.5 db 25.0 db

Noise Margin 5.9 db 11.8 db

Connection Speed 3462 kbps 1020 kbps

Noise Margin 8.4 db 11.8 db

i have tried a factory reset, switching the filter/splitter over to the C10245M and replaced the phone lead to the modem.

also last night before i went to sleep my internet would keep losing connection i would reboot the modem and the internet would work for about 15minutes then it would drop out on both wireless and wired. i could still access the router manager but not the internet would just keep telling me there is no internet connection.

Mmm well your attenuation is not changing, although the noise margin varying so much is a bit of a worry. Suggests a line fault.

Don't suppose you can access a known good working modem to test?

Also are you or anyone else in the house running any p2p software like torrent software?

Mmm well your attenuation is not changing, although the noise margin varying so much is a bit of a worry. Suggests a line fault.

Don't suppose you can access a known good working modem to test?

Also are you or anyone else in the house running any p2p software like torrent software?

the only modem i have is the one i just replaced but the speed never dropped so drastic on it.

as far as i know i am the only person who is running p2p software but i have not had it running in the past 2days.

i have been keeping a eye on my speed and it has been staying at

Connection Speed 4427 kbps 1020 kbps

Noise Margin 7.9 db 12.1 db

has been staying at these stats since 10am.

i have only been surfing the net and not downloading.

okay this morning i have hooked up my old modem again to test, i cant look on the router settings i forget the password for it.

but i have ran the speed test half a dozen times my max speed from the test was 3189kbps and the average is only 2700kbps with a slowest speed of 2000kbps

since my average on my n600 is a little higher then the top speed of this modem i know its not my modem 100%

im going to be calling my ISP soon to see what is going on, on there end and hopefully they can fix whatever it is