Flouncy

Mars Monday

Pretty sure they have the Instagram app installed on the rover, so the shots will look way better than they thought

XD

Now watch the idiots - mostly on newspaper site comments sections - tell us that the initial grainy low res B&W images are "crap, what a waste of money, my iphone takes better pictures."

Now watch the idiots - mostly on newspaper site comments sections - tell us that the initial grainy low res B&W images are "crap, what a waste of money, my iphone takes better pictures."

Already done my part Flouncy.. I made sure I told the sis-in-law that the first images are purely hazard cameras to ensure that the rover is in a safe position before moving, and don't need to be high quality pretty pictures.

Have you done your part today?

Have you told someone that watches "The Hills" that it's meant to be this way?

:P

AD

pretty impressive, i was thinking about the maths involved in doing that and i could only think about playing Tank Wars and trying to aim the little turret.

No doubt tank wars is at the core of the NASA think tank

Very interesting, I guess the difference is that if your 'phone is anything like mine we might see eight hours of pictures :)

Joking, but 2Meg is fine, just clean them up a little :)

I guess the pics of the NASA guys don't really surprise me much - if you get to Houston take the tour, very varied bunch of very bright people - good food in the cafeteria as well.

Cheers

Its that the telescopes they need to hire to receive the information back from Mars cost too much per hour, so they have to trade off data quality Vs Size of data transmitted.

we all got learned some...

Who's "we"?

I thought the bandwidth limitation was obvious.

9600bps or less, nobody has time to wait for a >2MP image to come over that, compressed or not.

Its that the telescopes they need to hire to receive the information back from Mars cost too much per hour, so they have to trade off data quality Vs Size of data transmitted.

we all got learned some...

Who's "we"?

I thought the bandwidth limitation was obvious.

9600bps or less, nobody has time to wait for a >2MP image to come over that, compressed or not.

I guess the "we" was all the people including myself who thought a more sophisticated camera could be a weight trade off.

According to what they said,Its not a bandwidth limitation exactly, as they have a mars year up there to transmit the data back and can also use satellites in orbit as a relay for the data, it's just that the cost of renting the telscopes at this end to receive the data was too high. Word is they could have easily sent up higher resolution cameras, in fact they had planned to send a 3D HD movie camera up there (so awesome) but couldn't get it together in time.

Edited by Michael100

There's more to it than a camera:

Curiosity only has a RAD750 processor, that's a radiation-hardened PowerPC G3, clocked at 110-200MHz. That would take an age to do anything video related.

A Mars year seems like a long time, but when you consider that it takes 14 minutes for a signal to get there, and 14 minutes for a signal to get back, it'd be a waste of time and money sitting around waiting for videos to download. If they omitted a HD movie camera, it wasn't just because they "couldn't get it together in time". This is NASA, not Briz31.

There is a 720p-quality stereo-3D camera onboard, as well as a 1080p-quality 2D colour camera.

People moan about 2MP, but fail to relise that 1920x1080 is exactly 2,073,600 pixels, or 2MP.

Incredible.

Can't get Wall-E out of my head.

Imagine being the only moving thing amidst that peaceful desolation.

The final two and half minutes of Curiosity's descent, shown through 297 frames.

Tiny res, but oh, so very awesome.

Also, the first colour image to be recieved:

Posted Image

There's more to it than a camera:

Curiosity only has a RAD750 processor, that's a radiation-hardened PowerPC G3, clocked at 110-200MHz. That would take an age to do anything video related.

A Mars year seems like a long time, but when you consider that it takes 14 minutes for a signal to get there, and 14 minutes for a signal to get back, it'd be a waste of time and money sitting around waiting for videos to download. If they omitted a HD movie camera, it wasn't just because they "couldn't get it together in time". This is NASA, not Briz31.

There is a 720p-quality stereo-3D camera onboard, as well as a 1080p-quality 2D colour camera.

People moan about 2MP, but fail to relise that 1920x1080 is exactly 2,073,600 pixels, or 2MP.

Cool, Im sure there's more to it than "couldn't get it together in time" as well, but that was a quote from one of the NASA guys in the Google Hangout.

He made a gesture with his hands as though he was going to explain it in more complex terms and then gave up before a word left his mouth, as though he was like ah fuckit you wouldnt understand anyway

While not Curiosity related, this panorama of Mars is fucking balls-amazing.

http://panoramas.dk/mars/greeley-haven.html

This is the latest panorama released by NASA July 2012. It was assembled from 817 images taken between Dec. 21, 2011, and May 8, 2012, while Opportunity was stationed on an outcrop informally named 'Greeley Haven'. on a segment of the rim of ancient Endeavour Crater.

That's pretty fab hector. Also, just how much dust is on the solar panels. Must be such a battle for them to manage that.

That is really cool. I'm surprised more companies didn't sponsor this, you have such a clear view of the robot, seems a waste for Nike or McDonald's or whoever to not pay to have their logos slapped on there.

EDIT: You can go full-screen mode!

Edited by Harmonic Cacophony