Hlass

Bigpond Cable. Last day of billing cycle still unmetered?

As above. I haven't tried a big download on the last day for a while. Is this still possible and are there any traps to avoid getting shafted?

(BigPond Elite Liberty* (50GB) - Cable)

Seem to remember reading somewhere that this has been fixed so it is all metered.

Out of interest Hlass, do you get an excess usage charge for going over on your particular contract? Or simply a cap in bandwidth?

I'm shaped. I rarely hit the limit and can't remember the speed but it is bloody slow indeed and makes the internet unworkable.

well if you going to be downloading battlestar galactica at 26gb you may want to upgrade to a bigger plan. :)

Yeah, I always go over 50GB a little, so I have to be on the 200GB plan, never ever hit 200GB metered (Some months I've hit over 200GB unmetered thanks to Foxtel on T-Box)

100GB plans and below are shaped to 64Kbps, plans over 100GB are shaped to 256kbps.

I'm shaped. I rarely hit the limit and can't remember the speed but it is bloody slow indeed and makes the internet unworkable.

From their T&C

Once you have reached your usage allowance speeds will be slowed to 64kbps, unless you are on a 100GB or

above plan in which case speeds will be slowed to 256kbps

which is a fucking appalling shaping speed.

$109 a month for 15gb bigpond wireless at speeds that allow you to blow that cap in just a short few hours at which point you are shaped to 64kbps which makes steam dam near unusable and web pages frequently fail to load

atleast with 128kbps it would still be usable

not sure about with cable but with wireless i can sometimes sneak in a few hours of downloading which goes onto last months cap but once it didnt work and the next morning i was caped for the next 30 days...

Crap. Yeah, 64Kbps is unusable for me, except on say Atomic and a few other places. Steam will hang when you try and login, and I usually walk away from my PC and come back half an hour later, and it will sometimes have logged in

What is exactly Bigpond Liberty cable like? Is it more stable that ADSL?

Also would i need a technician to lay the cable into the house ? or do Telstra do the work.

Copper lines in our area are making my connection very unstable at the moment.

are you able to get foxtel in your area? if so then chances are you can get it.

just as stable imo but that would depend on your area again (some seem to be more prone to outages than others)

What is exactly Bigpond Liberty cable like?

I got this a couple of months ago. Speeds can alter radically throughout the day. If you hit your plan limit, then smoke signals are faster.

are you able to get foxtel in your area? if so then chances are you can get it.

just as stable imo but that would depend on your area again (some seem to be more prone to outages than others)

That's a bad indicator, because Foxtel comes by satellite too.

FWIW, I regularly do it on Bigpond ADSL2+. Shaping resets anywhere from ~8pm through to ~10pm, and then it's clean sailing 'til around 1am, tho' sometimes 3am if I'm lucky.

Free download day has become free download few hours at night.