Sign in to follow this  
Guest xyzzy frobozz

Games are educational!

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I was playing one of my favourite games the other night and I came upon a little fact that I thought I must share with the community.

So.... drumroll please!

Nvidia is the Latin word for Envy!

Amazing right?

This would explain Nvidia's green colour scheme (green with envy) and eye logo (being a tie in with the green eye and the video-ey nature of their products.... vidi being Latin for "see"... see?).

Which got me to thinking how I've learned many valuable things from games over the years, and countless more not so valuable. Stuff that springs to mind immediately is how the bible was first mass printed in Gutenberg, Germany, ushering the age of mass media (Civilization), or the difference between an orbit and a geosynchronous orbit (Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space), how a Privateer was pretty much a government sanctioned pirate in the Caribbean (Pirates!), or how I'm really bad at Battlefield 3 (Battlefield 3).

So, what other amazing titbits of knowledge have you learned throughout the years, and what game did you learn it form?

I can't recall any instance of learning anything from a game. :/ That's more down to the fact that I used to read any and all books I could get my hands on, and had already come across plenty of weird stuff before I got my first computer.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I can't recall any instance of learning anything from a game. :/ That's more down to the fact that I used to read any and all books I could get my hands on, and had already come across plenty of weird stuff before I got my first computer.

Oh, c'mon, really!

Nothing at all?

I passed my year 8 history exam from playing stronghold. The teacher was useless and didn't teach us anything about the weapons on the period of time we were learning about. I knew what each one was from playing stronghold so much.

Oh, c'mon, really!

Nothing at all?

Nope. Not facts, anyway - plenty of fictional lore. Two things that might help you swallow that:

1) I got my first computer in 1985, when I was 17. Games up to then were barely more evolved than Galaga for video, and the text adventures around then were all very Tolkienesque.

2) I had read the encyclopaedia (yes, all volumes) before that. By the point I got my mitts on a computer, it was not at all unusual for me to knock off about a novel a day - non-fiction would be as slow as half that if it was densely written or difficult material.

My memory is not photographic nor eidetic, by any means, but it is quite good - even now.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Oh, c'mon, really!

Nothing at all?

Nope. Not facts, anyway - plenty of fictional lore. Two things that might help you swallow that:

1) I got my first computer in 1985, when I was 17. Games up to then were barely more evolved than Galaga for video, and the text adventures around then were all very Tolkienesque.

2) I had read the encyclopaedia (yes, all volumes) before that. By the point I got my mitts on a computer, it was not at all unusual for me to knock off about a novel a day - non-fiction would be as slow as half that if it was densely written or difficult material.

My memory is not photographic nor eidetic, by any means, but it is quite good - even now.

Well I remember in about 1988 learning what "cavitation" was from playing Red Storm Rising, and why it is so critical for submarines to avoid it!

I learned how civilizations where built in the Civ Series and got hooked the ROME series. Then i learnt all about MMO's and the pause button ,it does not work. My toon was waiting in a spawn area after coming back to find my toon dead.

As far as Educational i learned that all games are based on US English with nice colours.

Educational software formed quite a bit in my life, given how Carmen Sandiego games were quite common back then. Thanks to the games, I learnt country identification and as well as problem solving quite well despite having to referring to encyclopaedias and the like.

I also learnt racing strategies, tyre wear and physical endurance from Grand Prix Manager as well.

So you can't really say anything in games is useless these days...

I learnt to do without sleep ... that count? :)

I also learnt that it is possible to play BF2 after downing a bottle of Jim Beam Black. Can't quite remember how my KD went that session though lol

I can't believe this is being questioned...

I've known far more history in general then most students I've encountered. In year 6 the teacher asked some questions relating to American history which I knew thanks to Age of Empires 3 (also got the Dux of the primary school that year). Before that and even now thanks to Age of Empires 2 and 1 I've known answers to questions about the Medieval period and Roman period. It also piqued an interest in Egypt which became useful multiple times, particularly in years 5 and 6. That interest then faded after a while and it changed into a more Medieval interest (with a love of the roman period persisting forever on) this was highly useful during year 9 in particular as we focused on the crusades, medieval period, and dark ages in history.

I still love history but am leaning more into technology/computers/sci-fi etc. as an interest.

Other games have taught me things such as the Total War series (although AOE kind of covered a lot of it before hand anyway...). They have helped increase my reading speed, my typing speed immensely.

Really they need more historical games with campaigns covering history accurately such as Age of Empires. I was devastated when they closed Ensemble Studios. Oh and Age of Mythology gave me quite a lot of knowledge other students do not have on mythology.

If I think of anything else I might add it if you wish xyzzy.

So I think games can easily be highly educational and enjoyable, for once actually making the idea of learning fun a reality.

I've definitely learned a lot from games. I learned maths from playing Operation Neptune and could divide and work out fractions earlier than a lot of other kids in my year because of that.

I learned most of what I know about American history from playing Colonization. (The DOS version not the crappy new one!)

Also a bit of geography from playing Railroad Tycoon.

Civilization and Age of Empires taught me a bit about history.

I notice that all the games I've listed are from the 90's, maybe that says something about the state of modern gaming....

I notice that all the games I've listed are from the 90's, maybe that says something about the state of modern gaming....

Probably says more about your age and how much you already know now.

I learnt not to trust Skaaj. Or Gnolls.

And that those fuckers at popcap must have Pablo Escobar on the board.

My 4-5 year old son at the time learned the how-to and value of reading, and a large chunk of Han Dynasty/3 Kingdoms period Chinese military history from playing Dynasty Warriors 1 and 2 on the Playstation. It had an encyclopedia section where all the characters and their historic feats were recorded, along with weapons and their uses etc.. Was quite amazed at how fast he learned reading when he played that game.

My 4-5 year old son at the time learned the how-to and value of reading, and a large chunk of Han Dynasty/3 Kingdoms period Chinese military history from playing Dynasty Warriors 1 and 2 on the Playstation. It had an encyclopedia section where all the characters and their historic feats were recorded, along with weapons and their uses etc.. Was quite amazed at how fast he learned reading when he played that game.

Yeah I've found that games give the information a new value thus you learn it faster. Especially when the information could possible prove valuable at some point or in some way to the game. Sure you also learn it faster as you like the characters and time thanks to the game. You don't really realise it even happening till something like this thread comes up.

I'm pretty sure it was Carmen Sandiago that taught me all the capital cities i know :)

Posted Image

Shit yeah. We used to play that in school all the time. I don't know if I ever caught her.

I'm going to try to find the game online somewhere and see if I can beat it.

I'm pretty sure it was Carmen Sandiago that taught me all the capital cities i know :)

Posted Image

Shit yeah. We used to play that in school all the time. I don't know if I ever caught her.

I'm going to try to find the game online somewhere and see if I can beat it.

I got it working with Dosbox yesterday. :)

Some of my favourite games are educational in nature.

Like DonutKing, I also remember playing Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? on an Apple II at primary school. When I got it at home, I played it non-stop for weeks on end. Not only did it teach me geography and capital cities, but it also taught me basic logic and deduction skills, like process of elimination.

Another great series that helped me a lot was the Super Solvers series - in particular Treasure Mountain!, Midnight Rescue!, Spellbound! and Outnumbered!. Midnight Rescue! was probably my favourite:

Posted Image

Plus, it had awesome music - The Sorcerer's Apprentice and In The Hall Of The Mountain King :)

Other educational games I have played:

Math Rescue and Word Rescue

Reader Rabbit series (can't remember which ones in particular)

Gumboots Australia (I had the 256 colour version):

Posted Image

And lastly, I wish I had played this game when I was younger: The Typing of the Dead

CE out.

CE, please tell me that midnight rescue game takes place in a TV studio, because that screenshot looks familiar and I've been looking for old games I used to play.