Sign in to follow this  
Sty.x

Laptop Issues.

Hey people reading this,My wifes pink toshiba portege laptop is up the shite at the moment. Im trying to see if these couple of issues thats wrong with it are fixable because i wanna get this fixed and she wants a new laptop which means i spend $$$ .. The screen on the laptop has started to not work every now and then and i have to shut the screen and when i lift it up straight away it comes backand up and it keeps flashing and spazzing out a little. And the second issues i have is the charger port on the back of the laptop i think is screwed because it wont charge unless i put the cord in and move it around till it gets contact.. So if anyone knows if these two issues can get fixed please let me know.

Thanks

The screen flashing can sometimes be because of drivers, however in this instance i doubt it. (try downloading them anyway).

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you can solder the DC inlet back in place, this requires you to pull apart the entire laptop.

This solution may only be temporary though, as the inlet will never be as strong as it once was.

If resetting drivers doesn't work, you can try fiddling with the cords between the motherboard, and the bottom panel, sometimes they move down between a hinge or something, and every time it gets moved (squishes between the hinges) the screen begins to fail.

If that fails, you may be looking at a motherboard replacement, in which case, buy a new one.

I hope that helps :P

The charger could either be a loose connection to the PCB inside the laptop, or an imperfect contact with the AC adapter as you already susspect. It could be as easy as buying a new AC power Supply, or as hard as getting someone to open the laptop and re-solder the connection (or possibly replace the power socket). THe cost of this will be ~$75 for a power supply, and up to and around $400 for repair work, depending on where you take it.

The screen sounds like the ribbon has come loose from the mainboard to the screen. Each time you lift the laptop, it could be moving the cable into connection again. It could also just be the graphics chip shitting out, the cable itself having a frayed edge (commonly found near the screen hinge from constant movement), or pretty much any other issue with the mainboard, GPU, cable or even the screen itself. The only way to know for certain is to open it up and check if the cables are all in good condition and connected correctly.

I'd ask how much the laptop costs originally, if it's under warranty, if it's covered under some sort of insurance, and lastly how old it is / what it's got inside it.

9 time out of 10 it's cheaper to replace broken laptops, as labor costs in this country generally outweigh manufacturing costs in Taiwan and mainland China.

EDIT: Damn, beaten by ily, I guess that's what I get for not refreshing the page after walking away for 20 odd minutes.

I'd post in regards to your comment, but i'm not allowed to do any advertising, so i'm conflicted :(

EDIT: Double post.

Edited by ilyria109

You posted the same thing in another thread. I'm guessing you're not the type to keep posts in one thread...

where abouts are you?

the issue with the screen sounds like it could be the panel itself or a loose cable, those type of issues can really only be diagnosed with it apart

DC connector's I replace them, you'll find it'll gradually get worse and worse and it will completely come off the board or it'll split in half.

If I was to do the job you'll be loooking at $150 for dc connector + if it's a screen depending on size it'll be $180

I live in mildura now so yeah unless your close id be happy to pay ya , but yeah anything over 400 ill just buy a new laptop , but thanks people for trying to give me a quick help , ill see a couple of people up here and see how i go. Cheers. BRock