Sign in to follow this  
greegrass

Dual screening a laptop with a projector

Today I was fiddling around with a laptop and a projector, a panasonic of some kind, and wondered if it would be possible to dual screen them. what I mean is is it possible to make windows think that the projector is a second monitor and extend the image instead of replicate it as it usually does?

I would have expected it to happen when you select extend screen option on your laptop (fn +f?), but instead it just replicates the picture to the same resolution as the laptop instead of treating the projector as a second screen, which is what I actually what to happen.

I couldn't find a thread on this, but if there is one please tell me about it.

Look on the keyboard. You should have a key on the F keys with a blue dual screen. So press and hold Fn and then press that key. If it's the same as my laptop it will allow you to cycle through various options including extended desktop.

Do note I am pretty sure both the laptop and projector screens must be in the same resolution for this to work.

Otherwise look through the video card driver software for extended desktop settings.

Look on the keyboard. You should have a key on the F keys with a blue dual screen. So press and hold Fn and then press that key. If it's the same as my laptop it will allow you to cycle through various options including extended desktop.

Do note I am pretty sure both the laptop and projector screens must be in the same resolution for this to work.

Otherwise look through the video card driver software for extended desktop settings.

For desktop extension, you shouldn't need the same resolution, I've successfully run 2 1280x1024 LCDs alongside my 1920x1200 screen (one either side of it) on extended desktop without an issue.

For cloning they obviously need to be the same res though.

You can also setup your dual monitors in the display settings, by right clicking the desktop and going to the screen setup option (windows 7) or whatever the option is on XP (god I'm rusty, havent used xp in years)

What brand's the laptop?

You may need to do it through a different menu to the windows one.

hmm, after some more fiddling i think i should have added that it was a wireless connection to the projector through the projectors adhoc network and some silly panasonic program- panasonic ME3 or something like it. the dual screening works fine with a standard vga connection cable, just not with the wireless connection.

so, anyone know how to extend with a wireless connection? and also, it lags horribly with wireless, is there any way to stop the lag, or is wireless just not capable of the data transfer rate required?

or is wireless just not capable of the data transfer rate required?

Most likely this.