Malkieri

Assange granted Ecuadorean Asylum

Assange was just granted asylum by Ecuador.

No idea how they'll get him there though.

Part of the reason given was that the UK and Sweden would not grant a guarantee that Assange would not be extradited to the US. Ecuador also queried the US with regards to extradition, but the US would not offer any information.

Bastard, just beat me to it!

Was watching the live stream on ABC News 24.

This will REALLY stir the pot for the UK, Sweden AND the US.

In other news, it's "Ecuadorian", got it wrong in the title.

Bastard, just beat me to it!

Was watching the live stream on ABC News 24.

This will REALLY stir the pot for the UK, Sweden AND the US.

Yeh, check the guardian they have a couple of articles on the legality of the UK 'storming' the embassy

So England is all stroppy and won't let him leave. If he is granted Asylum by Ecuadore shouldn't he then be under some sort of diplomatic immunity, or something ?

/ maybe if he dyes his hair and used a fake mo he'll fool airport security ;)

Nope. Ecuador can request his safe transport to the airport/their country, but the UK doesn't have to (and probably won't) grant it.

They could smuggle him out in a 4 drawer filing cabinet labelled "Diplomatic Files, No Searching Allowed"

Possibly the best thing he can do is set up a bed and get comfortable, he's going to be there for a lot longer than the two months he's already been there.

Nope. Ecuador can request his safe transport to the airport/their country, but the UK doesn't have to (and probably won't) grant it.

I was under the impression that the interior of a diplomatic vehicle was effectively foreign soil. In which case, he should be able to be driven to the airport and fly out on an Ecuadorian aircraft.

Getting from the car to the aircraft might be something of a challenge, though.

I was under the impression that the interior of a diplomatic vehicle was effectively foreign soil. In which case, he should be able to be driven to the airport and fly out on an Ecuadorian aircraft.

Getting from the car to the aircraft might be something of a challenge, though.

Getting from the embassy to the car will be even more challenging than that!

Don't the police still have the authority to arrest him if he sets foot outside the embassy?

Edited by krispy89

Don't the police still have the authority to arrest him if he sets foot outside the embassy?

I don't know the layout of the Ecuadorian embassy. If it's one of the walled, gated places, the car can pull up to the front door, and Assange can do the helicopter at the frothing cops outside. If, otoh, it's a teeny place with running to a car outside, that will be a problem.

Edit: Just looked it up on StreetView. It's going to be a problem. :P Filing cabinet disguise it is, then!

Edited by Cybes

Wont he just do what matt damon did in Bourne identity ?

I don't know the layout of the Ecuadorian embassy. If it's one of the walled, gated places, the car can pull up to the front door, and Assange can do the helicopter at the frothing cops outside. If, otoh, it's a teeny place with running to a car outside, that will be a problem.

Edit: Just looked it up on StreetView. It's going to be a problem. :P Filing cabinet disguise it is, then!

What if he gets carried to the car e.g. doesn't actually set foot on British soil in the process...

Was reading yesterday that the poms were thinking of raiding the embassy basically risking a HUGE diplomatic incident over a broken condom. He must have some really good dirt on someone?

http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/ecuador...3#ixzz23fOB4EIo

Britain has declared it will never allow Julian Assange to have safe passage to South America and has vowed to ensure he gets to Sweden to face allegations of serious sexual assaults. This morning, UK Foreign Secretary William Hague gave a lengthy statement condemning the action of Ecuador in granting the 41-year-old Australian political asylum. "It is important to understand that this is not about Mr Assange's activities at Wikileaks or the attitude of the United States of America," he said.

No dear, I'm 'sure' it isn't.

Or as one blogger put it.

This hurts me. I've loved Britain since the day I was born there. To me it was Great Britain, which gave my Polish refugee parents citizenship, after my Dad fought in the Polish Division of the British Army, including at Monte Cassino, where he lost most of his mates because they fought the finest troops in the world, the No.1 Berlin Panzer Paratroop Regiment, according to General Alexander's aide.

If Britain proves it's a pirate nation and kidnaps an Aussie, violating international law, decency, convention, justice, I'm going to renounce my British citizenship, after 55 years. I hope and pray it doesn't happen.

and

Aus government is a joke for not protecting one of our own.

They are supposed to serve the people, not foreign interests.

Oh well, interesting to see how things transpire.

Linky

Posted on Aug 16, 2012

"Democracy Now!"

Michael Ratner, legal adviser to Julian Assange and WikiLeaks, applauds Ecuador for standing up to two of the world’s most powerful countries, the United States and the United Kingdom, and says those countries will break international law under the U.N. Refugee Convention if they prevent Assange from accepting asylum in Ecuador.

Edited by Director

They could smuggle him out in a 4 drawer filing cabinet labelled "Diplomatic Files, No Searching Allowed"

Posted Image

....argh.....this is a consular cabinet.....it contains.....diplomatic files..........

IF THIS IS A CONSULAR CABINET, WHERE IS THE AMBASSADOR??????

Edited by SquallStrife

Link

"Ecuador has decided to grant political asylum to Julian Assange following the request sent to the President," Patino told a press conference in Quito.

He argued that Assange's personal security was at risk, extradition to a third country without proper guarantees was probable, and legal evidence showed he would not have a fair trial if eventually transferred to the United States.

"This is a sovereign decision protected by international law. It makes no sense to surmise that this implies a breaking of relations (with Britain)," Patino added.

Even with asylum granted, Assange has little chance of leaving the Ecuadorean embassy in London without being arrested.

There has been speculation he could travel to an airport in a diplomatic car, be smuggled out in a diplomatic bag, or even be appointed an Ecuadorean diplomat to give him immunity.

But lawyers and diplomats see those scenarios as practically unworkable.

Ecuador's President Rafael Correa is a self-declared enemy of "corrupt" media and U.S. "imperialism," and part of a left-leaning block of South American leaders.

He apparently hit it off with Assange during a TV interview the Australian did with him in May. Correa joked then with Assange that he had joined "the club of the persecuted".

Foreign minister Patino called the U.K. government's threat to enter the embassy "brutal," and acknowledged the only way Assange could travel to Ecuador would be if Britain grants him a safe pass to travel to an airport.

Pretty easy really.

Congratulations Mr. Assange, you are now a minor official of the consulate and have a courier mission to Ecuador with full diplomatic immunity. If needed he could be naturalised. Bye bye Oz, thanks for all your nonexistant help.

Now the cops can't touch him even if he shoots one of them on the way to the airport.

ED: spell

Edited by Elfarch

Slip him in to something like

Posted Image that just "happened" to go past the embassy and end up at an airport.?

I think all alleged rapists should be granted political asylum and use that to never face trial.....

OK

Except Assange isn't an alleged rapist, he's accused of breaking Swedish sexual assault law, where you can be charged with sexual assault if the woman changes her mind after the event.