Sign in to follow this  
Josho

Soo im booked in and going

Hey all,

Little while ago i posted a question up about hiking a mountain.

Post here

Annnd some times gone by and i figured i'd let you know that im booked in and going to dragging my ass up a mountain in Africa in Feb.

(leave Feb 2nd)

Mount Kilimanjaro is the mountain im going to be tackling and she may not be the biggest in the world but she's pretty damn huge as far as im concerned!

I'll be going up the Lemosho Route with the aim of going for the summit on the 9th of Feb starting the last 6 hour walk at 23:00 hours with the aim to be standing on the top for sunrise.

Then come back down and go on a safari during migration season to rest and recoup.

Right now it's all very much conceptual and hasn't sunk in that im going to Africa and doing this.

Other things i'm now having to do is

1)

Go find gear!! HOLY SHITBALLS is this stuff expensive!! i've gone to look at boots and for a decent pair it's 350 - 500 dollars.

Boots i'm struggling to figure out what i should get but i'm trying on as many as i can to find a good pair that are comfy and give decent support.

Then i need clothes apparently layers of stuff to add as I get higher and it gets colder! the words Gortex, fleece, waterproof, quick dry and Vibram have now entered my vocabulary.

2)

Start training! I've got a plan! that plan is the building im in is 20 or so stories tall and has a fire escape! i have a backpack that's going to hold some weights and legs + feet.

3)

insurance! oh yes! i've rung a few places and said "i need cover for High altitude trekking / hiking above 5000m, helicopter rescue cover (how cool is that) and reparation back to Australia if needed" alot of places go "ummmm lemme talk to my manager then say nope :P though i have found a few who do cover these things but i'll search around and make sure it's a company who doesn't try and screw you around when your lying on a mountain with a broken leg or whatever

4)

Vaccination shots - translation - Human pin cushion

5)

Flights! I booking flights! i love being stuck on a flying metal tube for 24 hours plus! huzzah!

So yeah i'll try and add to this thread as I go along with my prep and training and then hopefully some shots of me on top of a mountain looking all grizzled, tired, manky but happy :) (if you want a atomic logo ontop of a mountain send me some stickers or something!!)

So yeah once again i'm happy to get advice on anythign that help me get fitter, more endurance, gear whatever :)

Also looking to setup charity drive to raise some money for kiddies and their families so hopefully i'll be able to add a link to that soon too.

Here's to adventure!

Oh and

Awesome man. Hope it all works out for you as planned!

cheers :)

me too. lot of training and cra between now and feb but im sure it'll move to fast

Awesome man. Hope it all works out for you as planned!

cheers :)

me too. lot of training and cra between now and feb but im sure it'll move to fast

Haha, you'll be climbing Kilimanjaro when my partner is due to give birth.

Who knows, you may reach the summit at the same time my child is born! :o

:)

It's quite a hike, as I think I told you in the last thread, but fire escapes are probably harder.

That's a lot of money for boots though, jump on line, I think they might be much cheaper In Nairobi.

I don't really recall, it was a long time ago and very impulsive on my part but I picked up everything I needed in Nairobi, more a question of if you have the time and want to gamble on that.

Whatever, have a ball, we need pics :)

Cheers

Congratulations that is awesome news. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you succeed in your goal.

My uncle used to be a mad keen climber/adventurer/he's doing everything man so I have heard a lot of mountain climbing stories from him. Recurring themes are good preparation, adapability and erring on the side of caution (given the circumstances)

He never climbed much out of the country (spent some time in PNG) but did climb with Tenzing Norgay when he was in Tasmania. Very cool.

Do keep us posted on your preparations and progress!

Fuck yea! That sounds awesome!

My advice is to not skimp on boots or waterproof gear. As for boots, the most expensive ones may not be the best, every foot is different. My advise is that you need to try them on. They should be snug so that your foot cannot move independently of the boot but not be tight and your toes shouldn't be touching the toe of the shoe. That one is important because your feet will swell. And they'll need to be worn in. Don't go hiking in new boots unless you really like blisters and pain ;)

Also: I want to be you in Feb. :(

-X

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Mount Kilimanjaro is the mountain im going to be tackling and she may not be the biggest in the world but she's pretty damn huge as far as im concerned!

Meh...

I used to climb Mt Druitt a couple of times a week.

quick update.

Still looking for gear but also started training. Nothing too heavy yet but im def going to have to ramp it up as feb gets closer.

The other bit im going to do is altitude training. By going here:

http://www.valleyfitness.com.au/index.php?...on=services.ats

and going into a little room where they can simulate higher altitudes for me.

That way i can gauge my bodies reaction and condition it before i even see the mountain and hopefully maximize my chances of getting to the top.

:)

Dead right on wearing in boots, I nearly learned that one the hard way until a more experienced climber pointed it out to me.

I wore mine about six hours a day for maybe six weeks and I did get a couple of blisters just walking around town.

Cheers

Photography and Video section will expect lots of pics!

EDIT: Re: boots - wear them in by walking around in them for a couple of weeks or even months before going, let them stretch and fit to your feet before you actually put some serious usage into them on the mountain.

Edited by Antraman

Years ago I was on a budget and all I could afford were some $150 goretex go fasts. I did look around at everything in that price range and settled on a pair of boots that had good stitching, cambrelle lining, vibram sole, etc.

First walk I did was an island in southern Japan called Yakushima. Three day hike, and probably the most grueling walk I've ever done. It was a split second decision to go, which is why I went with cheap boots, and there was no time to wear them in. I had to use them with crampons for ice on the second day, and there was extremely heavy rain on the third day. They were perfectly comfortable, solid, and dry. After that I did one month hiking in the lower Himalayas, again no problem. My brother had nice expensive scarpas, very rugged boots, but heavy and bulky, and a pain in the arse to carry when he wasn't wearing them. I would go lightweight boots every time unless strongly suggested otherwise. What kind of boots are suggested for Kilimanjaro?

I suppose with boots it depends upon all the modern materials, mine, a long time ago, were plain old leather.

A guy who worked for us, very experienced African hand suggested good old dubbin and lots of it, seemed to work, leather was nice and supple and molded to my feet. Didn't get a single blister. on the climb.

I had a chat to a mate of mine who is really into climbing, he said pay your money and take your choice, he buys his weather gear from kathmandu because their warranty is so good and for boots he likes Scarpa, but said forget the expensive ones, not worth it, shop around and about $300 will suffice.

Being he just climbed some bloody high mountain in the Andes and it was his third climb in the same boots and still going strong I guess it's a good endorsement. He also said they needed very little breaking in.

Seems you have quite few of us following your adventure Josho, well, that's what life is for :)

Cheers

Edit: Talk of the devil :) Check my mail, my mate had dropped me a line, had to check model of his boots, he'd forgotten - Inverno, reckons they are best boots he's ever had, which would be a few he's been climbing over twenty years, but said boots are very personal, try them on :)

Edited by chrisg

Soo little update.

Bought me some boots!

them there these boots that go on my feet

Took me about 3 hours in the city going to many many hiking / outdoors / mountaineering places to try on stupid amounts of footwear before i found ones that suited my feet. (I don't understand how people can find shoe shopping enjoyable?)

Also did my first altitude training session with a trainer in the altitude chamber.

They took me to 3500m and put me on a treadmill at a easy pace and easy incline then upped the pace and incline every 3 mins for 12 minutes.

I didn't even break into a jog but by the end i was struggling BIG time.

Big eye opener for me but i was happy at my bodies response to altitude which was mostly struggling to breathe and stupid fast lactic acid build up in the muscles.

Another person was doing their first session too but only made 8 mins on the test which made me feel somewhat better :)

So next up is to start getting some of the clothing, vaccinations i'll need and continue training to get fitter.

Currently alternating between the following so i dont get sick of the routine:

Krav Maga

Gymnastics :P (shuddup it's fun and i like being able to throw myself around in padded environments! plus helps build some great strength)

Weights

Cardio - Running, rowing, steps

Planning a few day walks around sydney too to get me going and will prob focus on stair climbs / machines as dates get closer.

Should have a charity page up soon too.

An amazing feat, admirable that you're uptaking this.

Dream big and make it a reality.

cheers dude.

It's still all very conceptual to me at the moment.

I guess once im there staring the mountain down the words "ooooh fuuuuu.."

will prob come out and then the left foot right foot will begin :)

:) That's around 11,500 feet without oxygen.

Depending upon where in the world you are regulated 10,000 feet without oxygen in an unpressurised aircraft is the legal maximum altitude, certainly in the US/UK military for example although some places 12,500 is the maximum.

The head can get a bit woolly up there so you did rather well on a first pass, should have no problems with a bit of acclimatisation :)

Nairobi itself is around 7,500 feet so well on the way.

Climbing is different to flying though, you get time to adjust. I recall one of the guys who climbed Everest without oxygen remarking on that in Nat Geo.

Cheers