heyitscino

HELP PLEASE Windows 7 Install problem.

Hey all,

I have just put together a new rig for myself, was overdue for an upgrade.

Hardware wise everything is together well and seems to be doing what its supposed to do.

I am trying to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 x64 onto a 120gb SSD I got for my new system. I keep getting an error when the install process is 'expanding windows installion files'. This error happens at different stages (ie- at 24%, 51%, 69% etc) Different each time. The error code I get is also different but the problems description remains the same.

It goes something like this - Windows cannot install required files. The file does not exist. Make sure all files required for installation are available. and restart the installation. Error code: 0x80070002.

Ive tried changing sata ports for SSD and DVD drive. Ive tried different memory. Ive tried installing with peripherals removed from system. I really have no idea what to try next, its driving me nuts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Cino

So my WIndows 7 DVD is defective you think?

Possibly. Otherwise copy the contents to a working PC and make a bootable flash drive or another DVD and see if it installs that way. Or obtain a copy of windows 7 through *other means*, as long as you have a legit key it should all work.

Yeah I have had that problem with other versions, just can't remember what the fix was. Have you got any other drives in the system besides the SSD? If so, unplug them and try the install again.

Try update your BIOS/firmware maybe. A mate had something weird like that happen recently with an install and that was the fix.

If you fry it though, don't come crying to me!

Edited by Periander

OK, lets try some x-files stuff. Try pulling out ram until you only have 2gb (or one stick) left in the machine (turn the power off first), you can put the rest back in after the install. Also try the install with the mouse unplugged (yep, sounds weird).

Edited by Director

Haha X-files stuff. Well I have unplugged any sata connectiong except for SSD and DVD. The smallest ram stick I have is 4gb. I tried with just that in their but no luck. Believe it or not Ive tried without the mouse plugged in aswell!!!

Hmm, I can only think of 2 other options at this stage. Try putting the ssd in a working PC and install windows then put the SSD back in your new machine before oyu load up all the drivers. Or try running some ram tests and see if there's any errors. I assume you've checked the SSD and it works OK?

Well, define checked the SSD? Ive lierally just opened it and put it in the new build. The windows install recognizes it and has no problem partitioning the SSD for install. Then it fails.

Well, define checked the SSD? Ive lierally just opened it and put it in the new build. The windows install recognizes it and has no problem partitioning the SSD for install. Then it fails.

Can you stick it in another machine and run ssdlife or some other checker on it? Maybe write a file or 2?

Threw the SSD in another machine. Ran SSD LIFE, apparently drive health is excellent. The SSD has no problems writing files either.

Okies in that case I'd try my other suggestion, leave the SSD in the working machine, unplug all the other drives, install windows 7 on the SSD then pop it back it to the new PC, the install all the drivers and stuff.

Okay, so Director, I tried what you suggested. The install went fine on my other machine. Took out the new windows SSD and placed it in the new rig.

Windows started up fine on the new rig but after about 20 seconds of desktop it froze and restarted the computer. No errors, no nothing. Thats all it was doing. Obviously I didn't install any drivers or anything because there is was opportunity too.

At this point I really have no idea what could be causing this. I've tried different memory, but the install still failed. DO I need to have the RAM in a certain DIMM slot???

I don't think it can be a cpu issue because it is booting up into windows 7 dvd and the windows 7 OS (for 20 seconds at least :P).

Would the video card be causing some kind of conflict with the install? Could it be a mobo issue?

Thanks for any help. Much appreciated.

As Periander said check for a new bios and firmware for the mobo and SSD.

Can you list exactly which mobo and SSD you have?

Thanks for the reply. This is the first build I have ever done myself so I am a bit out of my depth now. What's involved in updating firmware of mobo and ssd with no operating system installed?

I have a AsRock z77 extreme 4 atx mobo and a 120.gb ocz ssd.

Thanks.

Okay, so Director, I tried what you suggested. The install went fine on my other machine. Took out the new windows SSD and placed it in the new rig.

Windows started up fine on the new rig but after about 20 seconds of desktop it froze and restarted the computer. No errors, no nothing. Thats all it was doing. Obviously I didn't install any drivers or anything because there is was opportunity too.

At this point I really have no idea what could be causing this. I've tried different memory, but the install still failed. DO I need to have the RAM in a certain DIMM slot???

I don't think it can be a cpu issue because it is booting up into windows 7 dvd and the windows 7 OS (for 20 seconds at least :P).

Would the video card be causing some kind of conflict with the install? Could it be a mobo issue?

Thanks for any help. Much appreciated.

Ok in that case I'd download memtest or some other ram checker that you can make a boot CD from. Hiram's Boot CD will probably have the tools you need on it, let it run the memory test overnight and see if any errors pop up. Try the RAM in different slots too, I've all kinds of funny stuff happen over the years. Otherwise, what the others said, update your bios etc.

Hirens Boot CD or Ultimate Boot Disk for Windows.

1. RAM test. Pass or Fail

2. HDD Test (HDTune etc)

3. Stress test (linX) and monitor the temps (HWmonitor)

If those pass its very hard to know whats wrong. got access to another PC with a VM, load windows 7 without a key (30 day trial) onto the VM (vmplayer is free) and then you know your ISO/DVD is OK.

Have you put the Sata Port that has the SSD in AHCI mode?

Yeah, seems to be set to AHCI in bios.

Hirens Boot CD or Ultimate Boot Disk for Windows.

1. RAM test. Pass or Fail

2. HDD Test (HDTune etc)

3. Stress test (linX) and monitor the temps (HWmonitor)

If those pass its very hard to know whats wrong. got access to another PC with a VM, load windows 7 without a key (30 day trial) onto the VM (vmplayer is free) and then you know your ISO/DVD is OK.

Will have to give these a go. Thanks.

Its definitely not the install media as I tried a fresh install on a separate machine to check and it installed flawlessly.

Edited by heyitscino

Thanks for the reply. This is the first build I have ever done myself so I am a bit out of my depth now. What's involved in updating firmware of mobo and ssd with no operating system installed?

I have a AsRock z77 extreme 4 atx mobo and a 120.gb ocz ssd.

Thanks.

Assuming this is the board http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extre...load&o=BIOS

then download the 2.0 BIOS (get the instant flash one at the top). Extract it to a fat32 formatted USB drive

Click on the red cross thingy on the above page to see how to update the bios.

For the OCZ it is important to update the firmware as some of the older firmwares where problematic to say the least.

Exactly which OCZ SSD is it as you need the right firmware.

Okay, so a bit bizarre but I decided to try installing Windows onto the SSD in IDE mode instead of AHCI - worked flawlessly. Im typing this on the new rig right now. Is it going to cause a problem if I leave the SSD sata port on IDE???