Sign in to follow this  
i_am_banned2

Movie Viewer

I'm looking to get something portable to watch movies on. A tablet is the obvious choice, but I was wondering if there's any cheaper options since I probably won't use the device for anything beyond media playback.

If you really just want it for video, then that would be a bit overkill.

I picked up a Chinese Android tablet for $140 that would be just as good for videos.

They also have other ones that would be just as good for just video from under $100.

But if you want the possibility of having something with a bit more power for later on, then go for something like that; I'd doubt you'd regret it.

Cheers, that's pretty much the info I was after. I've really got no idea what else I might use a tablet for - haven't even got a smartphone yet!

But that's still a good point, I'll probably find all sorts of cool stuff to do with one once I actually get it. And if I can't think of anything, I'll just play Angry Birds. And check my email. And watch more movies. Nexus 7 it is!

BEWARE! i_am_banned2 has now entered the 21st century!

Picked up a 16Gb version this morning. So far I've managed to open the User Guide and install an OS update. I feel like the prettiest girl at the dance.

Working a treat so far. Streaming my vast library of media to my tablet via wifi is fantastic. I would've been satisfied with only direct USB transfer to the tablet of a few shows at a time (and with my limited technical knowledge, that was a very real possibility) but no, after many hours of messing with my home network it is working great.

On the tablet, though, I'm yet to find a player that can do everything well. MX Player is the best generally, but it has issues with a few of my mkvs - sometimes video, sometimes audio - and I have to resort to software decoding. DICE Player has flawless hardware decoding of everything I've thrown at it but is a bit rough when it comes to subtitles.

I've also tried BS Player and VPlayer - any other recommendations?

I think on my old Galaxy Tab I used KoboPlayer to play and BubbleUPnP for streaming from my PCs DLNA server (Serviio).

I don't really understand how BubbleUPnP works. It's a transcoder, yeah? So it sends a watered-down stream to my tablet? That could work, I'll give it a try.

Hopefully they'll add better subtitle support to DICE Player, as it appears capable of playing anything directly from my PC over the normal wifi. Tested out a big file tonight, 1080p/flac, 18Gb in size. Played beautifully!

try vlc media player. i've always used it flawlessly on windows, linux, and ios. it's currently in beta for android, and i can't comment how well it actually works on android, as i don't own any android device, but the team that makes it always seems to do a great job of it.