Periander

Nukemap

Saw this on reddit and thought some of the more paranoid among us might find it interesting:

http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/?lat=-27...9&kt=100000

It's a google map overlay that shows you the damage different areas are likely to experience if hit by a nuke. Type in your nearest capital city and give it a go! My link above is for Brisbane with the largest nuke ever supposedly.

nice link, so it turns out you would need quite a few nukes to blow away the middle east

Hmm. One Minuteman to the DSTO/Edinburgh RAAF Base takes out...almost nothing of value. Just Salisbury and Elizabeth. Well, and those two strategic targets, of course.

Not so hot popping one on the Submarine Corp, though. That blitzes Torrens Island (where the power station is), all of the port facilities, and sets fire to almost everything west of the city centre.

I was surprised to see that my house is likely to survive either/both of those, and even on dropped directly on the CBD. Why anyone would bother with that is a mystery.

Edit: Doh! East-west confusion strikes again.

Edited by Cybes

Hmm. One Minuteman to the DSTO/Edinburgh RAAF Base takes out...almost nothing of value. Just Salisbury and Elizabeth. Well, and those two strategic targets, of course.

Not so hot popping one on the Submarine Corp, though. That blitzes Torrens Island (where the power station is), all of the port facilities, and sets fire to almost everything west of the city centre.

I was surprised to see that my house is likely to survive either/both of those, and even on dropped directly on the CBD. Why anyone would bother with that is a mystery.

Edit: Doh! East-west confusion strikes again.

Not forgetting our Food chain is decimated too. We need bunkers in Adelaide its a must ,not a damn Oval.

A pretty simplistic model that doesn't take into account height of detonation, geography, or atmospheric conditions.

There a number of declassified US Nuclear Test movies on Youtube which have good info. Movie on Ops Ranger, Buster-Jangle, Tumbler-Snapper, Upshot-Knothole, Teapot, and Pumbbob look at various weapon effects.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

My link above is for Brisbane with the largest nuke ever supposedly.

No 100 megaton warhead was ever built. You've punched in figures for a 100 megaton warhead. The largest deployed warheads were around (from memory) 18 megatons. Yields actually got smaller on more modern missiles due to increased accuracy.

The "Tsar Bomba" was designed to be 100Mt, but the actual explosion was thought to be around 50Mt. "Tsar Bomba" was purely experimental and was never intended to be deployed as a weapon.

Any way you cut it, 5Mt droppped on your city is still going to make for a pretty miserable day.

That's actually really interesting.

I tested a bomb hitting Sydney CBD.

It would take an "Ivy Mike" to hit me here. Dong Feng-4 would miss, but I doubt I'd be healthy afterwards. :( If I was at work I'd be dead. A W-59 would just miss me at work.

A new meaning to chuck another prawn on the barbie i suppose.

Nukes are so scary with all the anarchy in the world its a possibility that it could happen overnight. How many countries are so close Australia and in striking distance? I counted about 4 ,not sure about China. We have India ,Pakistan, North Korea and USA in the Pacific.

A new meaning to chuck another prawn on the barbie i suppose.

Nukes are so scary with all the anarchy in the world its a possibility that it could happen overnight. How many countries are so close Australia and in striking distance? I counted about 4 ,not sure about China. We have India ,Pakistan, North Korea and USA in the Pacific.

Lots of nuke capable countries are aware of the mutually assured destruction policy tho, at any given time there is an American nuclear submarine armed with 12 war heads in striking distance of any potential enemy.

It is scary but it would be near suicide for a country to do an attack

My link above is for Brisbane with the largest nuke ever supposedly.

No 100 megaton warhead was ever built. You've punched in figures for a 100 megaton warhead. The largest deployed warheads were around (from memory) 18 megatons. Yields actually got smaller on more modern missiles due to increased accuracy.

The "Tsar Bomba" was designed to be 100Mt, but the actual explosion was thought to be around 50Mt. "Tsar Bomba" was purely experimental and was never intended to be deployed as a weapon.

Any way you cut it, 5Mt droppped on your city is still going to make for a pretty miserable day.

The SS-18 Mod 1 carried a single 25MT warhead (I think the Mod 3 could also). The American B41 gravity bomb also had a yield of 25MT.

I'm guessing most of these nukes would still kill plenty of people in surrounding areas due to fallout?

I think I'd rather die in the blast.

I used to work with a bloke up until 12 years ago.His old man worked around the world, had a few different connections to ASIO and was mates with SE asian colonels and such. Very shadowy connections. Anyway the old man settled in Murwillumbah about 15 years ago. Why there ?

Well apparently it's because Murwillumbah is in a unique position of not being near any militiary or civilian strike zones, is geographically pre-disposed to avoid any fallout blowing and falling in the area, and is capable of being self sufficient from an agriculture standpoint.

I used to work with a bloke up until 12 years ago.His old man worked around the world, had a few different connections to ASIO and was mates with SE asian colonels and such. Very shadowy connections. Anyway the old man settled in Murwillumbah about 15 years ago. Why there ?

Well apparently it's because Murwillumbah is in a unique position of not being near any militiary or civilian strike zones, is geographically pre-disposed to avoid any fallout blowing and falling in the area, and is capable of being self sufficient from an agriculture standpoint.

Did his name start with Z, i.e., Z for Zachariah?

I'm guessing most of these nukes would still kill plenty of people in surrounding areas due to fallout?

Better ask Hiroshima survivors how they felt about that.

And the site itself says they're only tracking initial effects. Fallout would definitely kill many who didn't die in the fires.

Better ask Hiroshima survivors how they felt about that.

And the site itself says they're only tracking initial effects. Fallout would definitely kill many who didn't die in the fires.

For more information watch this documentary on living in a fall out area

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eYcO_txdtQ...feature=related

oh please, as if anyone would waste a nuke on Australia...

I had considered this, and come to the realisation that in an All-Out nuclear Armageddon, hundreds or thousands of nuclear missiles with 100-bomb warheads flying around, there wouldn't be many places left untouched.

Australia isn't really isolated when bombs are falling from space.

I do however, like to think, that this is all in the past now, or maybe the distant future. I'm more concerned about conventional terrorism these days, and even then only slightly.

According to the map the Tsar Bombas would wipe me out, and periander's original version has my part of town quite crispy.

Interesting thoughts on Murwillumbah though.

you probably wouldn't die in Murwillumbah directly from a blast, but you'd be very much cut off from everything anyway.

you probably wouldn't die in Murwillumbah directly from a blast, but you'd be very much cut off from everything anyway.

So no difference then?

A pretty simplistic model that doesn't take into account height of detonation, geography, or atmospheric conditions.

+1 It's a basic circle overlay for google maps...

That's actually really interesting.

I tested a bomb hitting Sydney CBD.

It would take an "Ivy Mike" to hit me here. Dong Feng-4 would miss, but I doubt I'd be healthy afterwards. :( If I was at work I'd be dead. A W-59 would just miss me at work.

That's assuming whoever wanted to hit Sydney would target the CBD. Surely for most widespread destruction you'd target the epicenter of the blast at Parramatta, that way the radius covers the entire west, and east, without going out to sea too far. Assuming of course they're using the Ivy Mike you were talking about.

To be honest, I'm surprised the radius of some of the bombs is so small. Like the B83, the largest bomb in the USA arsenal is barely enough to take out Sydney city, missing the western suburbs. I would have though the radiation would be much worse than that.

I sould probably start saving up bottle caps then shouldnt I? What the likely-hood that that would become the currency any way, im sure there will be plenty of dollars still around to use, especially when the australian dollar is made so rugged?

My lil' town of Nambour would be a good site for a secondary strike, there is a major telecommunications exchange in the CBD and the North Coast railway (or whatever Queensland Rail call it) goes right through the center.

I'd live if a Davy Crockett was used.