Sign in to follow this  
Achillesjg

Networking Poser

I've got a study that it set up with three PC's and a NAS all connected to a router.

I need to connect my PS3, Xbox 360 and Foxtel IQ to my network (these are all next to each other in a different room to the study).

Now, I'm not a fan of Ethernet over powerline (I've got waaaay too much stuff plugged in to linited power points in both rooms), and wireless in my house is too flaky, so I'm looking at running a cable from one room to the other, via the ceiling. The issue I have is that I want to keep the NAS and three PC's in one room, but my router only has 4 ports, so I need to either get a switch in the study (painful, but not the end of the world) and a switch in the living room.

However, I discovered that my NAS (a Netgear RNDU2000) has two ethernet ports on the back, and nothing in the very limited instruction manual tells me what they are for, aside from connecting one of them to a different device.

Is it possible to use the second port as a sort of pass through to the switch in the living room?

Replace your 4 port switch with an 8 port switch, for about $15. Use the 4 port switch in the living room and run a cable between them :) Easiest and cheapest solution.

Re-read that, you're using a router. Ok, buy a cheap switch for the living room, and a cheap switch for the study, run a cable between them.

Something like this: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=2770

Then you will have the ports you need, this is by far the simplest solution. You can even sit it on top of your router and run a 10cm patch cable to any port, assuming your router provides the ADSL too.

Edited by p0is0n

I'm only guessing, but the 2 ethernet ports on the NAS are probably for dual-ethernet connections, so it can use the bandwidth of 2 ethernet cables rather than one. Transfer more data at the same time.

Not sure though.

Doesn't look like it supports teaming or anything fancy, so my only guess is gimmick, manual failover, or connecting to 2 separate networks.