Sign in to follow this  
wingnut0021

Who is watching "The Newsroom"

Just finished watching the first season of this awesome new series called The Newsroom.

Jeff Daniels does a great job in this and I actually feel like I care about the individual stories of each of the characters.

It also shows an insight into the media in the US, as ACN attempts to bring the news back to the old days.

I'm loving it and I really can't wait for more of this.

Warning: This trailer may be offensive to conservative viewers.

Actually hasn't aired here yet but it will be on the Soho channel of Foxtel/Austar.

You can get it on HBOgo with the right connections.

I've only caught the first episode so far, but I've watched it three times. I'm hooked. I was a huge fan of the West Wing, and Aaron Sorkin seems back on his game with the Newsroom. Can't wait to see more (the second episode is on my Foxtel Box as we speak)

There was another thread on this somewhere. Anyway, we only made it to ep3 before the constant stream of inane verbal diarrhoea and brainless cookie cutter/ fantasy land characters got the better of us. :)

Sorry boys, the MSM didn't save the world.

BTW that 3 minute clip is the only redeeming feature of the show, pity it didn't continue in that vein.

Edited by Director

We had a thread going when it first started.

I've watched all 10 episodes, and the show has a whole leaves a bit of a "meh" taste in my mouth. Don't get me wrong, there are moments of brilliance in the script, but overall a hell of a lot of it seems forced, and almost every character is a mess. I mentioned in the other thread about Will making almost no sense as a person, but I really think after watching 10 episodes almost every character is like that. Every scene with these people seems like they wipe the personality and free will sections of their brains and write it out for maximum plot.

Need someone to be outraged but has never shown even the slightest piece of emotion before? Slam it into the script. Need someone to just randomly know a fact / person / situation but has never shown anything like that before? Slam it into the script. Need tension between two people who haven't even spoken before? Slam it into the script.

The script makes The Newsroom sporadically brilliant, but its also the thing dragging it down.

'

On the bright side, the pigs breakfast that was the Newsroom caused me to find Bunheads! :) (Yes I'm really a girl)

Yeah I did. Was only luke-warm for a while, mainly because so many eps had too much love-shit. And little whiny blonde is hyper-annoying.

But on the flipside *anything* that focuses on and criticises the current extremist insanity of:

The Rebuplicans

Fox News

The Tea Party

is a-ok with me and thoroughly enjoyable. Just as much as it is to read comments sections of ep recaps and hear praise and rabid criticism. All the more of an insight into the half of America that thinks, and the half that doesn't.

Yes, I am enjoying it so far, I think im 3 or 4 episodes in.

The trailer was very good, I was expecting the series to be just like that, its a tad misleading. Regardless, it is very much my workplace and so I enjoy watching it, relating to it and learning about "the other side" of journalism. I work on the other end, im the one they ring to get for their show, its interesting to watch, for me anyway, and see the full process and why the real life journos I deal with do what they do, and say what they say.

Im only a few eps in, so far I am enjoying it a lot. The trailer is misleading though...

Edited by CheekyChops