Sign in to follow this  
G-relk

adaptec RAID card problems

hey, i have a clients computer here at work that im having problems with. the lient brought the computer in for us to install windows 2003 SBS onto it as well as set up his RAID array. he also gave us an adaptec AAR-142-SA RAID contoller to use. installed the card, set up the array no problems, had problems booting off the included setup disc, but i found the drivers on the net anyway. when it cam e time to install SBS on the computer however, i got a BSOD. i had hit F6 on start, and windows found the drivers on the floppy, installed them, and continued, but just as it was about to start the installation of the OS (please wait for windows to start) it BSOD's. i have the error code if that helps, but im still at a loss as to what is happening.

does atomic know???

cheers

G-relk

Are you sure there is nothing else wrong with the system - memtest and all that.

Perhaps (if you have a spare HDD) try the installation without the RAID card and see how far you get just to be sure it's the RAID card causing the issues.

What is the model of server? Is it a brand name or clone? Have you looked for any known incompatibilities with the server/ mobo and that card?

I assume your talking about this card:

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/raid/sataii/AAR-1420SA/

Have you got this thing up to the current firmware version and using the latest drivers?

Well giving us that error code might help!

Also, what tick said about the memtest... do this, also run a HDD test if you have UBCD.. or something like that from the manu's site.

the error code is:

0x0000007B (0xF789E63C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

the server has:

Core 2 Duo E8400

Asus P5Q motherboard

2 x 1gb OCZ RAM

2 x Hitachi 320gb SATA II HDD's

already ran memtest, but it was fine. using the latest drivers. havent touched the firmware as its a brand new card, leading me to assume that something wierd is going on. also, it did it when i tried it without the adaptec RAID card and was using the onboard RAID controller.

im going to see if it will BSOD without a RAID array.

EDIT: tried it with one hard drive connected to the motherboar and it didnt BSOD, so its got something to do with the RAID array (whcich is only 1)

Edited by Spider-Man

havent touched the firmware as its a brand new card

It wouldn't hurt to check - since shipping the card it's possible Adaptec have found issues with the shipped firmware. There is no telling how long the card has been sitting in stock either.

Ok - some other things to check/ try.

Do the Windows 2003 install CDs have SP2 already? Perhaps slipstreaming that in might help.

Do you have access to some cloning software and a BartPE (UBCD4WIN) CD. If this is only an issue with boot you could technically install it on a HDD, image that Drive/ partition, boot up off the CD and restore said image to the RAID. Before imaging, ensure that the RAID drivers are installed.

It's not elegant but may still get you to the end result.