Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Tunnel_Rat

Starting all over again how?

Hi just put a new pc together all went great until I tried setting my two storage HDD into raid 1.

Looks like I needed to change the bio’s & matrix storage manager before loading windows 7.

Because doing it after the PC would not boot anymore.

I am running the OS windows 7 on my SSD and have two 2T HDD’s for programs & storage and I wanted to run them in raid 1.

I would like to wipe windows out again and start all over this time before loading windows I will adjust the bio’s and storage manager.

What’s the best way of doing this ? I was going to go into my computer and just format the C: drive would that work ?

The only other way I could think of was to use the windows CD and format the drive but I am not sure I can get back into the bio’s before the window installation starts again.

Any help would be great.

thanks

Edited by Tunnel_Rat

Change bios settings, use the windows disc to delete the current install, then install to whichever disk you want.

Am alternative to doing hardware raid is to use windows for software raid, just in drive manager, but you need ultimate or pro/business to do that.

Change bios settings, use the windows disc to delete the current install, then install to whichever disk you want.

Am alternative to doing hardware raid is to use windows for software raid, just in drive manager, but you need ultimate or pro/business to do that.

That sounds like the way to do it thanks. I will let you know how I go.

I am only running home/prem 7. I did read that the software raid was not as reliable as the hardware way not that it matters for me.

Ok all done that woked fine.

The only problem I have now is the two drives in raid 1 do not show up in my computer?

But they show up fine in disk management. I allocated them as you do but when I checked in my computer they are not coming up.

Is this normal for two HDD in raid 1. I would not have thought so.

I going to sleep. I will look at it tomorrow.

thanks

Edited by Tunnel_Rat

Ok all done that woked fine.

The only problem I have now is the two drives in raid 1 do not show up in my computer?

But they show up fine in disk management. I allocated them as you do but when I checked in my computer they are not coming up.

Is this normal for two HDD in raid 1. I would not have thought so.

I going to sleep. I will look at it tomorrow.

thanks

If they are brand new drives they need formatting. However if both drives are showing up in disk management then you have not configured a raid array in the raid bios that loads after the main bios.

I really have no idea why you are doing this anyway as RAID IS NOT A BACKUP

I will reinforce that RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.

So if that is what you wanted Raid 1 for then forget it.

Maybe you need to right click the partition and assign a drive letter? As above you should have configured them already. Did you set the sata ports to raid in the bios?

And yeah, raid is not a backup, it's a copy in case one drive dies. If the system dies or your house Burns down, you lose the data.

Maybe you need to right click the partition and assign a drive letter? As above you should have configured them already. Did you set the sata ports to raid in the bios?

And yeah, raid is not a backup, it's a copy in case one drive dies. If the system dies or your house Burns down, you lose the data.

That was it "assign a drive letter" I was sure I did that but I was half asleep.

I still back up to an external HP back up HDD being manly for work I even back up the back up. But in my last build I had two HDD fail Seagate than a Samsung and it was just a pain reinstalling and pulling files from the back up.

So this time I have the O/S on the SSD and every thing else on the 2x 2T in Raid 1.

Thanks for the help guys. I just cannot wait to install a game on the rig.

One more Question in the last build I needed to set up SLI in the Bio's but I cannot find it this time the nvidia program seem to do it but still not sure if I need to do anything in the bio's for SLI.

Thanks again.

Nope, SLI should be activated by default. Iirc it was old NVIDIA chipsets that had that requirement.

Glad it works, can be the simplest things sometimes :)

*edit*

Activated in hardware I mean, you still might need to activate SLI in the driver. It should prompt you with a pop-up.

Edited by TheFrunj

Nope, SLI should be activated by default. Iirc it was old NVIDIA chipsets that had that requirement.

Glad it works, can be the simplest things sometimes :)

*edit*

Activated in hardware I mean, you still might need to activate SLI in the driver. It should prompt you with a pop-up.

Yes Nvidia had a pop up so its all good.

Edited by Tunnel_Rat

Need some advice on this please if possible. I just loaded office 2010 on my SSD not all of it just outlook, word & onenote.

The question is I keep most of my emails for references so it can become a big file.

Should of I installed it on the HDD ? Or can I move the part of outlook that will hold all my emails to the HDD ?

Thanks for any help.

No you definitely can have outlook on your ssd but your email data file elsewhere. I've done this just recently but can't remember the exact process. If someone doesn't beat me to it I'll have a look when I get home from work and give you some instructions.

*Edit*

Rather than try explain it and get it wrong, here's a nice link...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291636

Edited by discoInferno

No you definitely can have outlook on your ssd but your email data file elsewhere. I've done this just recently but can't remember the exact process. If someone doesn't beat me to it I'll have a look when I get home from work and give you some instructions.

*Edit*

Rather than try explain it and get it wrong, here's a nice link...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291636

Cheers thanks for that I will get onto that tomorrow.