Samson_1

Havent Overclocked in Years. Bit of advice needed

Hey guys,

I have sorta been out of the computer scene for a few years... I think i sorta drifted out around Atomic Issue 25. Back then it was Duron Processors trying to crack 1Ghz. A simple multiplier fix and change the bus speed, and hey presto... throw a dozen fans in and all was good. Though did fry a 667mhz celeron when we cracked 1.1ghz... was like a $300 cpu back then too.

Now i've decided to get back into things a bit, and have bought a new desktop. Havent had one in years.

Here's my list of parts arriving in a few days:

Case: NZXT Phantom

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB

CPU: Core i7 3770K LGA1155 Ivy Bridge

Cooler: Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme Kit

Ram: Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8Gb (2x4gb)

HDD: 2x OCZ Vertex 4 128Gb (Will stripe Raid)

PSU: Zalman 500W ZM500-HP

V/C: Gigabyte GTX550

Basically, I didnt wanna go crazy on the budget, and wanted something i could make nice and quiet, or turn up and overclock.

I hear the new CPUs (Ivy) dont respond too well to voltage increases? Also, i've never overclocked a Video Card before. And never RAM either (except changing the BUS speed back in the day).

What sort of Clock speed could i expect out of this thing? 4.5ghz? 4.8? 5? I dont mind throwing another 2 fans on the radiator if it helps.

Also, what other overclocks would you guys recommend? Is overclocking the video card worth while? what about ram?

Any help would be absolutely awesome.

Cheers,

Sam

dont suppose its to late to change your mind on some of those parts?

corsair h100 is much the same thing but with 5 year warranty vs 1

ZM500-HP is 5 years old so its efficiency is well below current psu and it doesnt have 8 pin pci-e connectors if you wanted to upgrade to a top end gpu

that gpu is really slow i hope you dont intend to use this system for gaming

ivy overclocking limit past 4.5ghz with higher v is often limited by the contact between the core and the ihs which creates high temps regardless of cooling but some get lucky

agreed, change some of those parts if you can, start with the PSU, dunno why you would want raid 0 on a SSD as well? especially raid 0 for your data storage considering the failure rates of OCZ drives :/

Raid 0 SSD's are a waste of time, You are better off going for a larger single drive its not like the old days where 2 raptors wouldn't saturate sata 2. A single SSD now days can fully saturate sata 3.

I would assume he already bought these parts. As mudg3 said RAID0 SSDs is a bit of a waste, since a lot of drives are capable of 500MB/s + by themselves. Use one for OS and one for games or something.

You can overclock anything if you need the extra power, if not, don't worry about it too much. I would guess you'll get at least 4.5GHz out of that CPU, but I don't have much hands on with Ivy CPUs myself. The thermaltake water 2.0 looks very similar to the H100 so should be decent enough for a 24/7 OC.

There are plenty of guides out there for overclocking on z77, you might even find one for your motherboard. It is a lot more mainstream than it used to be, everyone is doing it these days.