meowkitty

Trolling and the internet.

I know :), if you live in Sydney you can come drink it too Mudg3.

In fact, open invitation. I've got three beer taps (~40L-60L at any one time) and a few bottles of whisky (Scotch, Irish and Bourbon) in my house. Come on over all interested.

That all depends on whether you live 45 minutes away or not.

I'm having a cold beer infront of my warm heater for now. Arrange a meet and I'll gladly share some booze with you.

I've had reason to look up cyber bulling stuff but it olny talked about advice for school kids, along the lines of don't give out numbers and talk to parents adn blah blah. it had nothing on getting advice when adults were stepping on the line between trolland bully. I know we're are all adults, but hate crimes are still crimes.

it's a shame twitter can't get the guys from ArenaNet to keep that shit under control

I lol'd are you for real? This is not news, Shes just a gaint attention whore.

I can't respect this Dawson woman at all, there are children in the world who're starving, who're slaves, who're even sex slaves...And her big problem is that some people say things on the internet she doesn't approve of, while she herself engages in such vitriolic outburts from behind a keyboard.

Sydney student Lucy Blunt set up the anti-Perry group in September last year, shortly after he appeared on Celebrity MasterChef. Dawson was among those who leapt to Perry’s defence, calling Ms Blunt a “sad attention whore who is loving winding everyone up”.

“Some suburban fattie [sic] with too much time on her hands and a dirty crack pipe has had her jollies creating this page,” Dawson wrote.

“Some fame whore … suburban moll wanting to brag to her mates about calling you a twat.”

source

What a ridiculous, non-issue. She's a childish and selfish waste of human life, attempting to enforce a set of rules which she believes don't apply to her. At the end of the day, this whole discussion is a waste of our time.

Yet again another example of the declining standard of Australian Journalism, if you can even call it that anymore.

Although, the conspiracy theorist in me sees it as all too convenient, a publicity stunt for dawson and her book release, that can and is already being used to justify more law reforms restricting people's freedoms and rights online. two birds, one stone.

Everyone wins, except for the public

Here is another article on this by another person who is just as stupid. http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/cybers...g-the-internet/

Meowkitty why is it twitters responsibility to keep fucking retards in check like this?

Dont give it if you cant take it and really harden the fuck up.

it's wasn't Ms Dawsons issue itself but the management of it and the effects of it on the rest of the internet. I 1st saw this on 60 (39) minutes, which i was a bit wtf about, and thought this persons mismanagement of it is just going to make the populace more fearful and over reactive. If Ms Dawson uses the internet as part of her work then some one has failed in their duty of care, even is she is a sub contractor she has failed in her own care to take steps to protect herself from being a public figure. but enough OH&S.

in the part you quoted I made reference to trolling and bullying. this was to highlight that news had linked the 2 when any who frequent the internet more than joe public would know that trolling and bullying are different. hell, i troll my kids i real life.

is twitter responsible? simple answer is no.

what is an article like this going to get for us? like FPS games and violence it is a different sledge on the internet which will mean that some one will have to react to the hype and oh dear me if we don't have a new cyber naughtyness bill. which brings me to the part about twitter and them keeping the fucktards in line. I think they can do it smarter. with more focus on things being a service, it can be done as giving the client more control or more obvious control of their services.

the Crikey article was nice and, I do need to remember a different news web site. the story of teeth optional redneck holidays should have been my 1st warning...

meowkitty sure must regret making this thread because the internet police are not coming.

regret? no. everything progresses as expected.

=^.^=

Totally not in Sydney. Thanks for the offer though. Reminds me that I need to get over there in the future and meet up with a whole bunch of peeps though, atomicans and non atomicans alike.

I used to firmly believe in the camp of "It's the internet, just deal with it or GTFO".

For the most part I still do, but having said all that the internet isn't as black and white now and hasn't been for a long time. People are being held to account for their actions on the net more and more as the virtual and physical worlds cross over more and more.

There are some cunts out there who say a lot of downright disgusting shit that they would never dare say in real life. I know of a few times where that has bitten people on the ass in real life latter on, and yu know, they fucking deserved it.

Generally, and especially on Atomic, I don't say shit to people that I'm not prepared to say to their face, because here there is a better than even chance I'll meet them one day. It doesn't mean I won't speak my mind, I do that all the time. It just means I'm not going to be disrespectful and troll simply because I'm a picture of a bear, the reality is I'm accountable for some of the shit I say on here in real life too.

But in general, I don't get too wound up by trolling on the internet due to the fact that the things that I don't like are amazingly easy to ignore.

"If people are wanting you to kill yourself and you are somebody who has previously tried to end your life it's very, very easy to feel like that's exactly what you want to do."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/telev...7#ixzz25P72SXni

Maybe all Social networking sites should have a questionnaire you must answer before they accept you as a member on the site. Something like ...

Q 1: Do you suffer from depression or anxiety ?

Q 2: Are you taking medication for the above ?

Granted asking and abiding by the answers given may well reduce the traffic flow, somewhat ( providing peeps answer honestly ;) ) but hey if it can reduce those peeps putting themselves in hospital ...

I think Ms Dawson got caught up with taking herself tooooo seriously. She needs a holiday.

I almost never talk in online games any more. Maybe a bit in Starcraft 2 if someone just asks a few decent questions, but most of the time people just write crap.

For example: Playing game "X" and you offer some help, like: "Why don't you do "something" which might help you fullfill your "Goal"?

The usual response is "No shit" or "I know, fuck off".

So yea. Game chat is pretty much useless. It has been for years. Most people use it as an outlet for their own frustration seeing as acting out like that in "The real world" isn't acceptable.

Hrm. It's as Mr Friendly said, this isn't a black and white issue. Simple thing is, Ms Dawson did not deserve the comments she received. Sure, by re-tweeting the comments, she just got them more attention, but I can see why she thought it might have been a good idea. It wasn't, but she probably didn't anticipate the reaction she got.

And let's face it. I've read those comments. They're vitriolic and completely out of proportion to what she said in the first place.

It's not Twitter's fault. It's not social media. And yes, she should have stepped away rather than continue to try and deal with it and hit rock bottom. But does that make it okay for people to hurl personal abuse at her? To tell her to kill herself over and over? To mock her infertility? To create accounts just to attack her?

A bit of trolling never hurt anybody. But what she had to deal with was a bit more than just a little trolling.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

SHOCK HORROR!

Dickheads on Twitter?!?!?

It's not Twitter's fault. It's not social media. And yes, she should have stepped away rather than continue to try and deal with it and hit rock bottom. But does that make it okay for people to hurl personal abuse at her? To tell her to kill herself over and over? To mock her infertility? To create accounts just to attack her?

Interesting to say it's not the fault of social media, when it is their sites that are now used for said trolling, bullying ... snail mail does not have the same impact, and not as many

get to see the trolling, bullying ... everybody is a ' celebrity ' on the nets.

Ms Dawson herself said that being in the media meant she needed a thick skin. There's no question she, or for that matter anyone, really deserves that kind of crap ...

... but realistically there will always will be cretins with cretinous things to say.

Interesting to say it's not the fault of social media, when it is their sites that are now used for said trolling, bullying ... snail mail does not have the same impact, and not as many

Ms Dawson herself said that being in the media meant she needed a thick skin. There's no question she, or for that matter anyone, really deserves that kind of crap ...

... but realistically there will always will be cretins with cretinous things to say.

It's like saying guns are to blame for deaths. Sure, they are to an extent, but ultimately, it's the person who pulls the trigger. (Probably a bad analogy.) Just like on social media. Just because they have a tool they can use to do something horrible, doesn't mean that they should.

I agree, there will always be someone out there who is willing to say something nasty. And you're right, snail mail doesn't have the same impact. But that is probably because there is no instant gratification like there is on the Internet. I bet that 90% of these people would not have dared to say their comments to her face. Anonymity makes people nastier at times, and feel more indestructible in the process.

I'm sorry, so should we be blaming Cai Lun for all the death threats written on paper that people receive? How about we blame Alexander Graham Bell for death threats over the phone? Or how about Tim Berners-Lee for basically pioneering the way the internet is seen and used today?

Twitter, Facebook and other Social media sites are simply platforms that people can use. You cannot blame social media for this. The blame is solely on those who do the bullying and or give the threats. The blame is also on those who simply can't close a webpage and go to bed. Bullying over the internet is like allowing yourself to be bullied. You have every option to just unplug the cord, delete your account, whatever the fuck you want to do. No one has to put up with being bullied, so those who allow themselves to be bullied instead of simply logging off, should take responsibility for their own shit.

Maybe the test should be for admission to the internet and not just social media.

Edited by NukeJockey

Guest xyzzy frobozz

SHOCK HORROR!

Dickheads on Twitter?!?!?

...on MY Twitter?

I see what you did there.

Cutting.

Maybe the test should be for admission to the internet and not just social media.

That might answer it, though I'm a bit dubious 'bout how many will be truthful - just about everyone wants to be on the nets.

It's like saying guns are to blame for deaths. Sure, they are to an extent, but ultimately, it's the person who pulls the trigger. (Probably a bad analogy.) Just like on social media. Just because they have a tool they can use to do something horrible, doesn't mean that they should.

I agree, there will always be someone out there who is willing to say something nasty. And you're right, snail mail doesn't have the same impact. But that is probably because there is no instant gratification like there is on the Internet. I bet that 90% of these people would not have dared to say their comments to her face. Anonymity makes people nastier at times, and feel more indestructible in the process.

"Anonymity makes people nastier at times, and feel more indestructible in the process." ... Exactamondo !!

The next step will be that a member may not be able to hide behind a made up persona. More details will be demanded at registration me thinks. How much this will achieve, who knows ?

That might answer it, though I'm a bit dubious 'bout how many will be truthful - just about everyone wants to be on the nets.

"Anonymity makes people nastier at times, and feel more indestructible in the process." ... Exactamondo !!

The next step will be that a member may not be able to hide behind a made up persona. More details will be demanded at registration me thinks. How much this will achieve, who knows ?

Websites need to make it harder for people to sign up, plain and simple.

You can get a new fake email address in less than a minute and use that to sign up and troll as much as you want, add to that all the free proxies available that you can use to mask your IP and you can have a very dangerous person troll.

Bullying over the internet is like allowing yourself to be bullied. You have every option to just unplug the cord, delete your account, whatever the fuck you want to do. No one has to put up with being bullied, so those who allow themselves to be bullied instead of simply logging off, should take responsibility for their own shit.

On a basic level, this is true. It's quite logical, after all. Depending on the situation, the or an appropriate way to deal with unwanted behaviour can be to delete, ignore, or close tabs. I don't think it's necessarily simple or easy, or even always strictly achievable, and I also think that it doesn't mean that dealing with an unwanted message is as simple as clicking delete. It veers into grey territory because of this, for me. I mean, it can't be argued that deleting, ignoring or closing tabs is effective, can it? I'm certainly not arguing the fact. I just don't think it's always straightforward, easy or simple, and sometimes, that just sucks.

Bullying over the internet is like allowing yourself to be bullied. You have every option to just unplug the cord, delete your account, whatever the fuck you want to do. No one has to put up with being bullied, so those who allow themselves to be bullied instead of simply logging off, should take responsibility for their own shit.

On a basic level, this is true. It's quite logical, after all. Depending on the situation, the or an appropriate way to deal with unwanted behaviour can be to delete, ignore, or close tabs. I don't think it's necessarily simple or easy, or even always strictly achievable, and I also think that it doesn't mean that dealing with an unwanted message is as simple as clicking delete. It veers into grey territory because of this, for me. I mean, it can't be argued that deleting, ignoring or closing tabs is effective, can it? I'm certainly not arguing the fact. I just don't think it's always straightforward, easy or simple, and sometimes, that just sucks.

You're right, Its not always that straightforward.

The age and maturity of the recipient of the threats or whatever would play a major factor in this too, among other things.

But this idiot is what? 46 years old and a grown woman? She's an idiot and she should have just logged off.

I was a victim of Bullying on some forums in Australia and i was taunted so much that i just about had a heart attack. Even the forums manager who is still the forums manager refused to step in and do anything. These trolls would follow my threads and deliberately make my life Hell. Even the block function was tampered with as they where all programmers and still the forums administration did nothing. How can you ignore trolls when tools put in place where tampered with? Even the ISP was concerned that i was being attacked in such a fashion but they could not do anything ,but say they are working on something. This was the usual reply for 7 months until i got fed up and said too the forums manager if you cannot do something then i will by any legal means. I was permanently banned and still after 2 years this ban is in place.

You also have to remember too that sometimes people who use Social media sites have little or no idea about blocking or ignore functions. Until it is too late.

This was the usual reply for 7 months until i got fed up and said too the forums manager if you cannot do something then i will by any legal means.

So you put up with it for seven months and then threatened them with legal action?

LOL!