Director

Help stop pillage of our waters.

Just a headsup for those that care. :)

Link

Super Trawler set to rape and pillage in Tasmania

The MV Margiris is set to be based in Tasmania. Read what others have to say then think about signing the petition. This is a huge boat and they WILL take a huge chunk out of the food chain. 17,500 tonnes is 17,500,000 kilograms. Can OUR waters stand it?

SIGN THE PETITION HERE

Petition

Posted Image

"Say hello to our fishing future. It's called Margiris. If ever Australians needed convincing that the global appetite for fish is our problem too, this supertrawler is it.

Twice the size of the previous largest vessel ever to fish our Commonwealth waters, it measures 142 metres in length and weighs 9600 tonnes.

Its Dutch owners are changing its flag of registration from Lithuanian to Australian. By spring, it is scheduled to be roaming between the Tasman Sea and Western Australia in pursuit of 17,500 tonnes a year of small fish.

It looks like it has been pisseded off from other countries around the world and has been invited, (sold a licence) to our Australian waters by a Tasmanian company, SEAFISH TASMANIA, and approved by a private body, Australian Fisheries Management Authority, (AFMA), ... I'm sure we can think of other words for AFMA.

At the moment, they are re-flagging the ship to Australian and waiting for approval, so I hope many Australians get active and p... this off as quickly as possible.

Where is useless Ludwig and the Honourable Tony Bourke in all of this ??

What fish are they targetting?

As a marine fish keeper, I try to stay on top of this stuff.

But if they are targetting a common fish that reduces pressure on a place that is under greater risk.. Well, what's your point?

Details or GTFO!

AD

You see the little thing above that says 'link'?

In Australia, the Margiris is set to catch the same sort of fish - jack mackerel, blue mackerel and redbait - and freeze them into blocks for export. Australian fishers have long sought to exploit the country's so-called "small pelagics", which are prey for bigger fish such as tuna and marlin. Seafish Tasmania is partnering with ship owners Parlevliet & Van der Plas to do this on a scale previously unseen.

Alarms have been raised in other global fisheries about these mainly Europe-based small-pelagic hunters.

According to The New York Times, stocks of jack mackerel have dropped from an estimated 30 million metric tons to less than a tenth of that amount in just two decades.

Edited by Director

But if they are targetting a common fish that reduces pressure on a place that is under greater risk.. Well, what's your point?

Given the size of this thing and its nets, I'm pretty sure they won't just be bringing in what they are targeting.

I agree, fuck this thing right away from Australia :)

Infact I say the Navy should sink it.

So.. All common fish. Which are common around large chunks of Australia? Got it.

It's a trawler. Not a long line. So the side-effects are smaller than what Green Peace and Sea Shepherd make it out to be.

I'm all for preserving our marine environment, but this is a 'drop in the ocean'.

This is sensationalism in a can. Sorry. No sympathy from me. If Australian registered, then they must abide by Australian laws. If they do? Well. The aboriginal do more damage with their rights than what this trawler will do.

AD

I originally thought this was all just a bunch of greenies whinging again but when I had a look at the state of the fisheries where this thing had been in the past I became rather concerned. This thing really does rape the shit out of wherever it is.

-X

The aboriginal do more damage with their rights than what this trawler will do.

AD

What?

Aborigines eat 17,500 tonnes of fish? How often, a week, a year?

BARP! Wrong Twinair. Aboriginals are exempt from all restrictions INCLUDING from commercial purposes.

I'll leave you to think on that for a moment.

AD

I'll add... (And this is not be bashing aboriginals, per say. More me bashing the individuals who target a loophole)

Many organiziations sign up aboriginals to be captains to trawl. The target all sorts of critters including turtles.

They do massive destruction on many of our reef environment.

We target these trawlers because they are a BIG target. But they cause a fraction of the damage.

If you don't believe me, look up Aboriginals + Cyanide fishing.

IT's nasty. Big $'s. And that's not also including coral fishing with dynamite. (Yup. It exists. Again. BIG $'s...)

Australian Aboriginals are the 2nd biggest threat to our reef's. Global warming is #1.

AD

Answering Twinairs question:

How many 'parts' aboriginal do you have to be to claim aboriginal? I've seen 1/32nd. LITERALLY! You had a grandparent that looked at an aboriginal sideways once? You have exemptions.

Australian fisheries are a mess. I don't like them. I try to buy cultivated coral and fish whenever possible... *ALL* coral in my fishtank came from 'frags' from another fishtank. None of my corals came from the wild. Likewise my clownfish. I can't guarantee my 'filefish', so I assume it's wild caught. I don't like that. But then, it has been a fish I've been looking for for a LOONNNG time.. Pure chameleon fish that can turn from jet black to fluoro yellow.. Too cool..

AD

Edited by AccessDenied

Indeed. And they should take you with them Twinnie.

AD

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how letting the Dutch pillage the place AS WELL as the (apparently) fish-marauding Aborigines is a good thing?

Or do two wrongs make a right now? Or have we simply slipped into nihilism?

AD

Only if you come too!

:)

If you don't believe me, look up Aboriginals + Cyanide fishing.

I did but Google returned nuzzing. Enlighten me. I'm seriously interested in knowing.

Edit: Actually I've found some articles.../reading.

Edited by twinair

AD

I'm still waiting for someone to explain how letting the Dutch pillage the place AS WELL as the (apparently) fish-marauding Aborigines is a good thing?

Or do two wrongs make a right now? Or have we simply slipped into nihilism?

It's not the Dutch, they plan on running it out of Devonport as an Australian flagged vessel, the operational area is supposedly the Bight. Big news down here (I live in the next city over, about half an hour away), there has been quite a public outcry and it appears to be gathering momentum. All three political parties condemned it recently at State level and there are mass protests planned with the Green groups and recreational fishermen staging several demonstrations already.

Seafish Tasmania assure that the by-catch will be 'small to insignificant' despite it running a seine net with a 100m wide opening.

Sure Wilbur.

Director:

The difference is this.

Dutch = trawling. The grab common fish and are bound by Australian law.

Aboriginal (Which I WILL add, 95% of the time abide by the law and do a good job and more power to them) for their nasty population = use cyanide and explosives to do their fishing. Some of it is quite nasty. They'll kill 50 fish to catch 1. Destroy 10 m^2 of coral to get 1 coral. It's quite brutal. ALOT of this is not an aboriginal doing it, but more 1 putting their name to it for a few dollars to some 'white fella' can do it in their name.

This is an area fillled with land(sea) mines. If we ban everyone from doing damage to ecosystems, including the Great Barrier Reef, aboriginal rights groups will be up in arms. But if we DO allow this stuff, the GREENIES are up in arms.

Can't win.

AD

And in addition to Reapermans post.

The Seine net used in this instance is called a "Seine Purse net".

Not 100% ideal, but what it does is capture a large chunk of 'schooling fish'. This is actually a PREFFERED method for 'trawl' fishing as it's less likely to capture turtles, dolphins and many other type of fish.

The idea being that schooling fish will form a big group and loop around, whilst dolphin etc will just run like blazes.

The net drops straight down and creates a big scoop. IT causes turbulence which causes schooling fish to 'school' and the rest to run.

This is also ECONOMICALLY good for the trawler as it means less sorting of their catch for things which should be 'gotten rid of' before they are caught.

AD

Edited by AccessDenied

Oh I can see the difference, what I asked was how is it good to add a death-star sized floating factory to all the stuff the Aboriginal guys are doing?

Edited by Director

Sorry. But although I 100% agree we should try to preserve our marine environment, I also agree we should on a worldwide level spread our fishing. Looking at tuna fishing, we need to relieve the pressure there. This could do so.

We should look at methods of reducing collateral. This is something that could do so.

We may be grumpy about it. But on a worldwide scale and on a long term impact consideration, I think that the greenies have jumped the gun.

AD

Food chain issue I guess.

Over-fishing in WA has already pushed the trawlers into much deeper waters and we see new varieties on the shelves, the more common ones we are used to are just not in the shallow waters much any more, nothing to eat.

This sort of fishing could impact the tuna and snapper stocks more than people realise.

However, on a global scale it's not really THAT significant, just sort of reducing a trawler fleet down to one big boat.

I do agree on some of the things Aboriginals are allowed to get away with though, although most of them are pretty respectful of the environment turtles I do have an issue with, getting rare, but it is a traditional feast some places, Groote Island especially and at least they use every part of the animal.

Cheers

My Father told me trawlers like this pushed a lot of fish stocks to extinction in and around the Water in UK in particular off of Norway and Russia. The old Scottish herring was fished out to extinction along with some other varieties. The Humble Sardine is next on the list.

You know this could also stop the Whales coming to Australia if the cannot get enough supplements on their journey ,not only that local marine life will suffer too. The poor old penguins have to swim far enough already for a feed. Trawlers such as these monsters should be banned from operating on this planet. Its nothing more than pure greed to outfish our fish stocks and make us pay more for supermarket fish.

Tony Burke had an excellent response on Q&A on this, this week.

There is no legal way for him to stop the trawler. He's slapped a bunch of conditions on it:

1. Observer from Fisheries at all times

2. Camera in net

3. If protected animal is caught, entire catch must be released and trawler moved 50nm before throwing its nets back in.

He also said that if the trawler's company felt that was uneconomical, that was their choice and they could leave :)

In fact this week's Q&A was impressive. Not once did a Labor minister blame Abbott for anything.

I won't be signing - since there's no legal way to stop this trawler anyway.

So if there's all this brutal mass fishing going on, why the fuck is fish so expensive? The only 'fish' I eat is el cheapo $2 cans of tuna because actual fish is just way out of my price range. The only fish I've eaten in years has been a few occasions of 'fish and chips', and that's got to be the most expensive takeaway food there is.