xfu

How much worse is wifi than ethernet for online PS3 gaming?

I recently had a bit of a room shuffle and it's no longer convenient to connect my PS3 via ethernet.

I'm wondering how much point there is going out of my way to get ethernet back, given that my connection is pretty non spectacular anyway.

here are some particulars:

broadband speed test: computer wifi: 2.4 mbps

broadband speed test: PS3 wifi: 2.5 mbps

broadband speed test: computer ethernet: 2.7 mbps

I'm not really well versed enough in wifi specs, or even my own annoying modem for that matter, to make a huge amount of sense of this chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009#Data_rates

But even the lowest number at 6.50 is still well above my laughable 2-3mbps (sometimes 4 on a magical day) ADSL to sync.

So, any theories?

Also, what do you guys do - generally go out of way for ethernet whenever possible?

I'm pretty sure wireless would be fine. I was using cable on mine, and a housemate took the cable and put the PS3 on wireless without me knowing. I didn't realise until months later when I wanted to use the cable for something else. And my wireless is MUCH slower than wired when doing a speed test.

Wireless seems fine, I used to play GT5 online heaps while using wireless and it didn't seem to affect my latency at all, game never seemed to lag.

I think wifi is a bit slower for downloading though, I know when I download off PSN its slow as fuck on Wifi but much quicker on ethernet.

Wireless is fine back in the day it was kinda shitty it would add a few ms to your ping but now days its pretty much not noticeable.

To add my $0.02

It is pretty shit for streaming to your PS3, but for gaming you won't notice it really.

I've used both, and other than streaming issues, couldn't really notice a difference.

I've only ever used mine for streaming, and I constantly get DLNA Errors (I think the number is 2104).

I'm about to wire it up so that I can hook it (and my XBox, and Foxtel IQ) to my network.

I don't know if wiring it up will help with the DLNA errors, but we'll see, I guess.

I've only ever used mine for streaming, and I constantly get DLNA Errors (I think the number is 2104).

I'm about to wire it up so that I can hook it (and my XBox, and Foxtel IQ) to my network.

I don't know if wiring it up will help with the DLNA errors, but we'll see, I guess.

Do you use PS3 media server or windows media player? I found PS3 media server MUCH better than media player (even for Xbox360 too).

If PS3 media server though.. unsure about the issue but adding more bandwidth will certainly help especially if you're streaming HD content 720p+

Main issue with wireless is it can introduce a tad more latency and is prone to interference and poor reception.

If you have decent reception between PC and router and the wireless channels are not crowded in your area so you can get a nice clean channel then it is fine.

i tried using wi-fi on my ps3, worked ok for the shop, but trying to play multiplayer MGS4 or uncharted 2 or the warhawks demo, could play anything completely useless.

To add my $0.02

It is pretty shit for streaming to your PS3, but for gaming you won't notice it really.

I've used both, and other than streaming issues, couldn't really notice a difference.

I stream 1080p 5.1 videos to mine across the wireless fine.

I had mine on wireless it worked fine, over time it has come to pass that there were two lappys the TV and the PS3 using the wireless network, the TV's webtv function had some annoying issues, sometimes waiting for the buffer to fill and also dropping the res.

So I bought a packet of cables of different lengths, and slung the TV and the PS3 on cables, have been gaming with the Sony PS3 Wireless headset, and figured just bung the the PS3 on the Ethernet with the TV.

Unless the WIFI net is saturated with traffic and you don't have interference issues I don't see that you would notice the difference.

[Do you use PS3 media server or windows media player? I found PS3 media server MUCH better than media player (even for Xbox360 too).

If PS3 media server though.. unsure about the issue but adding more bandwidth will certainly help especially if you're streaming HD content 720p+

I'm using the PS3 media server, and my media is on a NAS hooked up to my router in the study. I've only ever used the PS3 to stream audio, and constantly have to fight with the aforementioned DLNA errors. Regardless, I'll keep you posted as to the success (or otherwise) of cabling it up.

Thanks for all the input.

I've had a few game sof BF3 over wifi and so far I haven't really noticed any obvious problems. It's been a fair while since my last run of online FPS gaming so no recent comparison, but yeah I think it's ok.

Haven't tried a big PSN download yet.

Still a little concerned as well about times there might other wifi traffic, but I'll see how it goes.

To add my $0.02

I found the problem was having both my PC with the media server, and the console itself both on wifi. Once I wired my PC up, I found that most of my streaming issues disappeared (except for when the washing machine is on spin cycle!).