Hey guys, I'm building a PC for my mate and am just looking for some opinions on what i have so far. The total for this build is $1496 and he doesn't want to spend more than $1500. Anyone have any recommended changes? I'm thinking the PSU might be a bit overkill but im not 100% sure.

Posted Image

I approve.

Not really much more to say about it really.

EDIT: Double post.

Edited by ilyria109

make the cpu 3570k so it can be overclocked

psu is really nasty quality swap it for Antec EA-550 $115 costs more now but it will use less power and save cash in the long run

Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1TB 7200RPM 0F15632 $85 smaller but longer warranty and hopefully wont stutter like the seagate

take a peak at this case Silverstone TJ08-E Black M-ATX/ITX $99

if this is going over budget you could ditch the ssd for now then he can add a better one later

It wont be overclocked or anything like that, he isnt very computer literate so i would have to do all that and i'd rather spend the time on my machine haha. I want to just get him setup and not have to worry about adding/changing anything in the near future.

Is there a better PSU that is closer to 85-100 dollars?

He wanted a 2tb HDD, so would i be better off getting the WD green or black?

And i just realised that the motherboard i chose is MATX, i thought it was atx. derp. What would be the best atx board?

For the price difference, you might as well get the K cpu like Dasa suggested, even if you don't want to overclock now, in 2 years or something, when the machine is getting older, it might be beneficial to be able to bump it up to 4.4-4.5GHz and give it some additional life.

The Antec HCG 620W might be a good choice, its $95 at PCCG.

As you have an SSD in the build, then I assume the 2TB will just be storage space and not really used for applications or games? If that is the case a 2TB WD green would be fine. Seagate drives only have 1YR warranty which I don't think is great. Even WD greens are 2 years.

You could get the ATX version of the same motherboard, the ASRock Z77 Extreme4, its about $30 more though.

The rest looks pretty good, this might put you a tad over budget so you could lose the CPU HSF (and add one later) if you don't plan to overclock to save $40. Also if you can source the case locally you might be able to save on shipping as cases are big and bulky.

Edited by p0is0n

Looks good. I agree with the suggestions of getting a K cpu and a better PSU.

I can understand though if the budget is really tight, but then forgo the K version. But a good PSU is key to a long lasting machine IMO. XFX do good re branded seasonic ones that aren't as expensive as Corsair ones which are my preference.

I completely disagree with getting a WD Green drive though poison. They're rubbish and I wouldn't trust any of my data on them. Just had another one die a couple weeks ago for a client which brings the total to about 7 failed Green drives over the past few years for me. I haven't had any other drive fail on me in that time that wasn't ancient.

Edited by justo316

nothing wrong with matx for a single gpu system

here is two options first cant be overclocked second can but it doesnt have a hdd so a usb3 external for storage may be a good option down the track but for now the 240g ssd shouldnt be to bad

both are the same price without the hsf which could be added later

being able to overclock is a really big upgrade that doesnt cost that much and its really easy to up the multi to ~40-45

Posted Image

Edited by Dasa

is it worth going MATX? or is it better to stick to ATX?

thanks alot for the help so far btw everyone

is it worth going MATX? or is it better to stick to ATX?

thanks alot for the help so far btw everyone

matx will save you some money with no real down sides other than the loss of two expansion slots and that silverstone matx case has great airflow with a single 180mm fan pushing a good volume of air straight threw

Edited by Dasa

Okay taking into consideration what Dasa is saying i came up with this build:

Posted Image

Im pretty happy with what i have here at the moment, but is there anything i really should change?

One thing you may want to take into consideration is that the PSU is not modular but if you don't mind this it is a good build.

Also the last screenshot of your shopping cart there is no motherboard!

I was wondering why it was so cheap! Shouldn't have done that late at night haha. Modular power supply would be good actually, I got one for my machine and it was really good. Is there any reasonably priced ones?

modular psu are a waist of cash for a pc that wont be opened up and played around in on a regular basis

just zip tye up the spare cables and your set

since its not likely to be overclocked very much you could save $20 on the mb if needed ASRock Z77M $99

but one of the things that makes it cheaper is the fact that it only has two ram slots so make it at least one 4gb stick $19 so another can be added later

Edited by Dasa

ah yeah that makes sense. Talking to my mate this morning and he is pretty set on using the Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced. So after changing the motherboard and case i have this for a total of $1473

Posted Image

no point pairing 3570k with a b75m mb that cant overclock only the p67\z68\z77 chipset can

the wd green hdd are rather slow there only good for storage not for installing games to

If you want a good cheap modular PSU the Seasonic M12II 520W is ok http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...oducts_id=15957

It's cheaper than the antec one but it's not as efficient.

So it's really your choice whether you want modular bronze rated psu or non modular high efficiency psu personally I would stick with the Antec unit as it's very good.

Also you can't overclock on a b75 chipset

Edited by insertfunnyname

I swear i actually have problems. Everyone is gonna think im crazy haha. This should be right now

Posted Image

Hmmm, you're getting all premium parts might aswell upgrade from 4gig ram to 8, don't see the point in getting only 4 gig. Other than that, it looks like a beast of a PC, good job