Sign in to follow this  
imp

100% failure rate on BD-r 50Gb

Purchased a new Asus BW-12B1ST Bluray Burner with my new system and have been testing it out. Seems to burn 25 Gb BD-R disks fine (tried Ritek and Imation). Purchased some TDK BD-R 50Gb over the net and so far the failure rate is 100% (8 out of 8). I have tried different burning aps - Nero, Imageburn, VSO. All firmware is up to date. DVD identifier detects disks as TDKBLD-RFB-000 and all burning aps will only allow 4x.

Failure generally seems to occur at around the 50% mark (although some of the earlier efforts were at 30%). I am guessing an issue transitioning to the 2nd layer, however is this a hardware, software or media issue?

Where did you buy the discs from?

I've not been 'active' in the bluray arena for a while, but my days in DVD we had a number of fake TDK DVD discs floating around, if you knew where to look...

Perhaps this is becoming an issue with BD as well?

Either way, unless you've got some burn logs from IMGBurn, or other analysis software, it's hard to tell... Did you save any burn logs?

Current firmware on the drive is 1.03. This seems to be the only firmware available - the Asus website has no firmware available. Its a rebadged Liteon according to some forums so possibly this is the reason for the 03 on revision.

I found it hard to get the 50Gb disks - no one nearby selling them so I got these disks on Ebay (Japanese suppier). They have TDK printed on them and are being recognised as TDK on DVD identifier. Quite possibly fake, but they have gone to a lot of effort to do so.

Yeah, i had some TDK003's (16x DVD+R) that were stamped as TDK003, identified as such, etc etc...

They were without a doubt fakes... CRC would fail on read every time, occasionally the burner would fail on burn, but not too often...

I could repeat it over difference batches, different devices, etc... Without a doubt.

I'm not saying that's your issue... But it's always a possibility.

I assume that you've got some kind of virtual DVD drive software installed too - uninstall this, as it can sometimes mess around at the driver level... It isn't a common problem, but it does happen.