ilyria109

Vote Liberal

Random thing just happened in my small shop where I am only a tech/IT administrator; two guys came in, handed me a big blue pamphlet, "OUR PLAN FOR BETTER LOCAL SERVICES AND LOWER RATES AND CHARGES"

Inside there are there various policies, I think that being pollies, it's likely that only 40% will actually be implemented, but still.

- $3.6B plan for education.

- $700M for Roads and transport.

- Better basics (cleaning up our city).

- Lower Cost of living.

- $7B plan for health.

After a big discussion about what I think the poll might come down to, i realised I haven't really formed an opinion, and started view Labors "spend but tax" way of doing things.

I think this will be a very tight election, I know a lot of people are scared of a surplus, but at the same time, they really don't want Gillard in charge. And both are trying to promise everything under the sun to make people go either side.

I think at this stage, Liberal has it for me, that may change. Nothing is set in stone.

What are your opinions, how do you think this vote will go, and why?

If Liberal promised not to do their shamozzle of an NBN and stuck with what is current plan(At the end of the day, to cancel existing contracts etc would cost smegloads, and if you then did that AND their plan it'd come close to even) I'd vote for them.

Simple.

In this round of elections, I prefer Liberal for most of the stuff, but their NBN proposal is a deal breaker to me. It's not just fast speeds, it's also future-proofing which I hold close to my heart. Just because we can't do it this year, doesn't mean we couldn't with appropriate infrastructure next year.

AD

Dude there's a year to the election!

If Liberal promised not to do their shamozzle of an NBN and stuck with what is current plan(At the end of the day, to cancel existing contracts etc would cost smegloads, and if you then did that AND their plan it'd come close to even) I'd vote for them.

Simple.

In this round of elections, I prefer Liberal for most of the stuff, but their NBN proposal is a deal breaker to me. It's not just fast speeds, it's also future-proofing which I hold close to my heart. Just because we can't do it this year, doesn't mean we couldn't with appropriate infrastructure next year.

AD

Errrr... I think you're behind the curve a bit.

Turnbull announced that Libs will keep the NBN but develop metro first to make it profitable quicker, then stretch it into woop woop.

Did he? Fuck. . My vote just changed.

Literally. Like that. I didn't know. If NBN is coming with CURRENT ideaology (Not necessary to be same schedule), then I'm in.

Bring on The Rabid Rabbit.

AD

Dude there's a year to the election!

I realise it is early in the campaign, but that doesn't mean people haven't formulated an opinion, if you haven't, you can just say so, or move a long. IDC which :).

I think Liberal will win, this will happen because Australia's vote can be easily divined by who they hate the least on the day. The after election results will be the same because voting is merely a parody of democracy where the outcome is the guaranteed regardless of who wins. The status quo will remain in force until we change the system and let the votes fall where they may. As for the pre election promises, well, whatever, my advice is simply to disregard them or get the candidate to sign an agreement that if they do not actively seek to implement said promises and not make excuses or blame the other guys then they have to resign and never be involved in politics again. :)

Did he? Fuck. . My vote just changed.

Literally. Like that. I didn't know. If NBN is coming with CURRENT ideaology (Not necessary to be same schedule), then I'm in.

Bring on The Rabid Rabbit.

AD

I will point out that the NBN won't be finished in your working lifetime though...

Here's the link to Turnbull on NBN

I think Liberal will win, this will happen because Australia's vote can be easily divined by who they hate the least on the day. The after election results will be the same because voting is merely a parody of democracy where the outcome is the guaranteed regardless of who wins. The status quo will remain in force until we change the system and let the votes fall where they may. As for the pre election promises, well, whatever, my advice is simply to disregard them or get the candidate to sign an agreement that if they do not actively seek to implement said promises and not make excuses or blame the other guys then they have to resign and never be involved in politics again. :)

Rinse and repeat till honest? :D

Rinse and repeat till honest? :D

Or go the full rebellion in one hit. Repeal the 2-party preferred voting scam, ban all parties, ban political advertising, mandate equal press time for all candidates. Only then might we come close to having an honest election.

Dude... I'm in a metro area. (In many incarnations of the word Metro).. I'll get my NBN. And at the end of the day, I vote selfishly. I vote for me and me alone. F@#K you.. If everyone did that, then you'd get the view of Australians.

AD

Or go the full rebellion in one hit. Repeal the 2-party preferred voting scam, ban all parties, ban political advertising, mandate equal press time for all candidates. Only then might we come close to having an honest election.

It's kind of scary how much thought you've put into that...

As for AD. Good on you, it's about time SOMEONE voted on there own accord ^.^

It's kind of scary how much thought you've put into that...

Wait till you see what I plan to do AFTER I win the election. :)

Dude... I'm in a metro area. (In many incarnations of the word Metro).. I'll get my NBN. And at the end of the day, I vote selfishly. I vote for me and me alone. F@#K you.. If everyone did that, then you'd get the view of Australians.

AD

You won't get the NBN. By June this year there were supposed to be 320,000 premises passed by or connected to the NBN. The actual number is below 39,000, most of those on satellite. The number of FttH subscribers is below 15,000.

This is country areas - where you don't have as much regulation or as many complicated connections or multi-storey housing. When it goes metro, the shit will hit the fan.

I guarantee you, if you see the NBN, it'll be 2025 to 2035.

If it's not cancelled by then.

I always wonder about those figures.. It just sounds decidely 'not right'.. I know the figures are correct.

But if you asked a farmer and a Canberran "Would you like Super high speed internet or are you happy with what you have"... Well.. The farmer would just like net, and the Canberran would go HIGH SPEED NET PLEASE!

I think the 'uptake' rates are not representative of the COUNTRY AS A WHOLE! You get Sydney/Melbourne/Other Capital City (Except Hobart.. But everything closes in Hobart if even someone farts) you'll see higher uptake. Just a shame it costs smegloads more.

AD

I always wonder about those figures.. It just sounds decidely 'not right'.. I know the figures are correct.

But if you asked a farmer and a Canberran "Would you like Super high speed internet or are you happy with what you have"... Well.. The farmer would just like net, and the Canberran would go HIGH SPEED NET PLEASE!

I think the 'uptake' rates are not representative of the COUNTRY AS A WHOLE! You get Sydney/Melbourne/Other Capital City (Except Hobart.. But everything closes in Hobart if even someone farts) you'll see higher uptake. Just a shame it costs smegloads more.

AD

That's not uptake rates dude! That's availability of the service.

Uptake rates are about 19% from memory

That 'availability' thing is also a bit of a red-herring.

The 320,000 was based on people playing ball, not holding out. I view it as Liberal propoganda (Reminder.. I'm happy to vote Liberal!)

It'd be like you saying "I can have this server into operation in 2 weeks." Then having the person going "We'll think about it" get back to you in 1 1/2 weeks and then demanding the server in 3 - 4 days.

That is a bullshit thing to pull out.

THAT much I am on top of.

AD

That 'availability' thing is also a bit of a red-herring.

The 320,000 was based on people playing ball, not holding out. I view it as Liberal propoganda (Reminder.. I'm happy to vote Liberal!)

It'd be like you saying "I can have this server into operation in 2 weeks." Then having the person going "We'll think about it" get back to you in 1 1/2 weeks and then demanding the server in 3 - 4 days.

That is a bullshit thing to pull out.

THAT much I am on top of.

AD

No... not quite. In their roll-out plan that's now been superseded, NBNCo planned to have Fibre past 320,000 premises by June this year.

In other words - nothing to do with take-up rates. Thus far they've only got Fibre past 39,000 premises. So they're behind in laying Fibre AND behind in connecting premises.

Of those 39,000 premises that have Fibre running past them, 18900 are able to actively connect to that Fibre. Of those 18900, about 3000 are in active service.

So what is your stance Leonid?

I'm voting Liberal. Because I don't want a bloody internet filter, want pro-business policies and want the carbon tax exterminated like a red headed step-child.

I hate Australia.

No one gets anything right, the liberals want the NBN to stay? Cool.

Oh wait, They want to privatise the NBN, look what happened when they privatised telecom, fuck that.

Edited by NukeJockey

Sorry. As a data tech.. That sounds like "Salesman speak" to me.

Dead serious. It truly does. The is no DOUBT that they are behind schedule, but I'm so used to data rollouts. You do the backbone then rollout from there. It's slow at first, but it's an exponential increase.

I have a 'feeling' (And feeling alone. No evidence), that some dick, somewhere (On Labors side) saw "We'll have x premises connected in 2 years" and did nothing more than "x / 24" to get it in months.

That's NOT how data roll outs work. I've done multi-site data and the like. Not nationwide. But I have done it over suburbs.. And yeah.. Something is REALLY fishy with the figures.

Looking at the figures, I'm PERSONALLY thinking "Right on schedule". Wait 18 months and it will be close to schedule again.

AD

Sorry. As a data tech.. That sounds like "Salesman speak" to me.

Dead serious. It truly does. The is no DOUBT that they are behind schedule, but I'm so used to data rollouts. You do the backbone then rollout from there. It's slow at first, but it's an exponential increase.

I have a 'feeling' (And feeling alone. No evidence), that some dick, somewhere (On Labors side) saw "We'll have x premises connected in 2 years" and did nothing more than "x / 24" to get it in months.

That's NOT how data roll outs work. I've done multi-site data and the like. Not nationwide. But I have done it over suburbs.. And yeah.. Something is REALLY fishy with the figures.

Looking at the figures, I'm PERSONALLY thinking "Right on schedule". Wait 18 months and it will be close to schedule again.

AD

That's pretty much how the entire NBN was planned and costed. Some dick on Labor's side (Conroy) tried to get his Prime Minister's attention (Rudd), couldn't and ended up mapping out the NBN including it's cost on the back of an envelope on two east-coast two hour flights, with no advice, business plan, or research materials.

Their calculations are way off. Way way off. So are their costs.

I hate Australia.

No one gets anything right, the liberals want the NBN to stay? Cool.

Oh wait, They want to privatise the NBN, look what happened when they privatised telecom, fuck that.

Yeah look at what happened when they privatised telecom... comms costs down... NextG network... now LTE... ADSL for almost everyone... ADSL2+ for most.

I agree on that too.. And look at their method of data transmission.. Their demand on the MTU is fucking awful.. "We like both Europes and Americas method. SO we'll choose something exactly halfway between." WTF?!?!?!

However, they offered it. Liberal didn't (To begin with)

That is and always will be my argument.

If Liberal had their way to begin with, they'd be happy with 'telegraph wire'.

NBN is a necessity.. I'm still hoping that ALL the universities get on board and do some REAL distributed computing. (Right now, it's pretty avg. Think about an NBN between all supercomputers and doing distributed computing and load sharing with it.. *spooge*)

AD

Oh. And by NBN, I meant REAL broadband.

I studied enough wireless transmission to know how bad it is for anything but stop-gap or domestic. (Point to point marginally excluded)

AD