Sign in to follow this  
insertfunnyname

Budget Build

Hey everyone I'm putting together a budget work/casual gaming machine for a friend of mine.

He already has a high spec gaming machine so this PC is mainly going to be used for work and light gaming with his brother.

Here is what I have put together:

i5 3470

ASUS P8B75M

4GB G.Skill 1333Mhz 9-9-9-24 RAM

Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD

ASUS 7770

Silverstone Strider 500W PSU

Silverstone TJ08B-E

ASUS DVD Drive

Don't need Win7

Not going to overclock anything so I don't need Z77.

Basically I just want to know if there is anything I should change/add the budget for this PC is $1050 NZD.

The websites we use is www.computerlounge.co.nz and www.playtech.co.nz

Thanks

But when he pays for shipping, currency conversion and the 2% Credit Card surcharge it may no longer be any cheaper.

If you can though, try to shop in the one place, not across two stores as the extra delivery prices will likely counter any savings you've made (unless of course you live within driving distance of both stores or they offer free delivery).

As for the build itself, it's pretty much the best you can do for a quality system on a tight budget. I'd perhaps look at changing a few things if possible though:

1. Is 8GB of RAM much more than 4GB where you're buying it from? It's usually only $20 or so dollars more, so is probably a smart upgrade.

2. Does he need a DVD drive? When was the last time he's used one? When a lot of people stop and think about it, it's been years.

Other than that, awesome job. Looks like a very well put together machine.

looks fairly good

you could get a psu with gold efficiency and 5 year warranty for $20 more

http://www.playtech.co.nz/afawcs0139235/CA...uctdetails.html

or save $20 on a cheaper seasonic that should be as good as the silverstone

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components...sp?partid=16950

for a office pc the best thing you can do for it is get a ssd

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $159

if its light gaming 128g may be enough space if only a few games will be installed

maybe look at 8g ram since its so cheap but its not really needed

You can find alot of the peices your getting here http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php for way cheaper than the other websites you went to, though its based in Melbourne and not NZ it shouldn't be a problem. From the pieces I did compare you can already save around $200 dollars.

From PCCG FAQ:

Do you ship internationally? At this time we only ship within Australia.

Also buying parts internationally makes me nervous because if parts where to arrive DOA it's going to be a massive pain in ass to ship them back and get it fixed.

Both shops are less than 20 min drive away so pick up is no problem.

For 8GB this G.Skill RAM is the cheapest at $85 it's still $35 extra.

Unfortunately an SSD is just to expensive maybe in the future he could upgrade and get one.

As for whether he is willing to spend extra on that gold FSP Aurum PSU, 8GB RAM and whether or not he needs a DVD drive I will ask.

And I never ever buy non modular PSU's cable management is just to difficult with them.

Other than that thanks for the help!

a ssd is only ~ $40 more than a hdd from what i can see sure its smaller but will the space be needed? especially if he still has something else for storage from a old pc

fairly sure both those psu i pointed out are not modular

imo modular is just extra work plugging cables in that should already be attached dont see why so many people love them

Ok well he has increased his budget and so this is what I have replaced:

Gigabyte AMD 7870

i5 3570K

ASUS p8z77-m

8GB Muskin RAM

Intel 330 180GB SSD

Seasonic X560 PSU

NZXT Havik 140 cooler

Still going to use same case as it looks very nice, dvd drive is needed.

So how does it look?

And I also have another quick question what are the AMD APU's specifically the A8-3870K like for gaming? I'm putting together a super low budget WoW, GW2 and Facebook build together for a girl I'm considering using the A8-3870K or 3670K along with a 7750. She doesn't care about graphics and plays a 1680x1050.

And I also have another quick question what are the AMD APU's specifically the A8-3870K like for gaming? I'm putting together a super low budget WoW, GW2 and Facebook build together for a girl I'm considering using the A8-3870K or 3670K along with a 7750. She doesn't care about graphics and plays a 1680x1050.

I think the APU itself without additional GPU can just about do the job.

no point paying extra for a cpu with a good igp if your just going to buy a better gpu and not use the igp anyway (6570 is better than the igp)

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0GHZ $95

G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1333 PC10600 (F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT) $39

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P MB AMD 760G + SB710 5.2GT/s $61

Gigabyte ATI HD 7770 OC Edition 1G $123

Total $318 prices from umart as there one of the few that still have phenom II stock

sorry i was forgetting nz

A8-3870K isnt to bad and should do the job