conzo

AMD APM Load Throttling.

Ok so my lanbox recently got a new motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ (rev 5) motherboard and FX-4100 cpu. I have been having problems with my BIOS in the sense that I can disable most nasties that would stop me from finding a solid overclock/steady clock rate but there is no APM setting. I have updated the BIOS, more RAM overclocking features were added but nothing relating to AMD's high load throttling.

What happens is when the CPU hits high load obviously, the multiplier drops causing the CPU to bounce between say 3.3Ghz and 4.4Ghz. Heat is not a problem, cooling is well setup, CPU loads at like 50c max during prime95. Now I have found out that this is definitely due to APM being on but the only method I can find to disable it is using the AMD OverDrive method. Enable/Disable turbo core, this in turn disables APM.

So long rant short, I have been doing this OverDrive trick everytime I boot. This board states full FX-4100 compatibilty but if it throttles underload even at stock speeds I do not see how they can state its compatible. I have emailed them with a support ticket, might get a reply in a month or two, I am happy I have found a way around this but it is tedious.

My question to atOmic, is there another way?

Or am I stuck using AMD OverDrive?

Setting my OC settings in BIOS and AMD OverDrive to the same configuration I am able to get 4.6Ghz stable on 1.41v with 10+ hours of prime95 testing. Just sick of playing with a software based tool, I should be able to configure my BIOS and be done with it imo.

Edited by conzo

No idea, but problems like these are why I don't buy gigabyte boards, such shitty BIOS's...

Are you sure they haven't called it something else in the BIOS?

No idea, but problems like these are why I don't buy gigabyte boards, such shitty BIOS's...

Are you sure they haven't called it something else in the BIOS?

Yeah definitely I've spent weeks googling lol.

Does my head in ):

Definitely set to Maximum Performance power plan. And yes it's independent...

Really is a useless feature, I don't understand why AMD would put a power saving feature in that when the CPU is under 100% load it throttles, reducing performance.

At least I can disable it, but I really wish I could do what other people could and disable it in the BIOS lol.

Teach you a lesson for buying an AMD bulldozer CPU LOL

Thats not a very constructive reply? It's not actually the CPU, yes it's a feature of the processor but it's my fault for buying this Gigabyte board actually.

Its to replace the CPU/mobo in a lanbox that was bricked by a failed bios update.

If we can keep the replies on topic from people capable of offering some real info (thanks so far to A Hitman) that would be great. Any help, if constructive, will be great.

Teach you a lesson for buying an AMD bulldozer CPU LOL

Thats not a very constructive reply? It's not actually the CPU, yes it's a feature of the processor but it's my fault for buying this Gigabyte board actually.

Its to replace the CPU/mobo in a lanbox that was bricked by a failed bios update.

If we can keep the replies on topic from people capable of offering some real info (thanks so far to A Hitman) that would be great. Any help, if constructive, will be great.

Some modern motherboards have a backup BIOS you can switch to in case you brick the current one. Unless your old board never had that feature.

Edited by Jeruselem

Hmmmm

Does pressing Ctrl+F1 do anything on that board, I think there is a hidden menu on some boards.

you could try the Beta BIOS's that's available , maybe they fixed it? (though might be risky, IDK if you want to take the chance or not)

That's all I can think of really.

Alright, I suppose I should help since I've got a Bulldozer CPU. You should upgrade to the latest BIOS since the initial Bulldozer release didn't do a good job on Turbo throttling and APM management. Hit the latest BIOS and it should go away.

Getting 1.41v is quite risky as Bulldozer doesn't need that high. I've got my FX-6100 working at 4.2GHz at just 1.3v. So drop the voltage until it either cannot boot or have stability issues. Then work out the speed from there.

Alright, I suppose I should help since I've got a Bulldozer CPU. You should upgrade to the latest BIOS since the initial Bulldozer release didn't do a good job on Turbo throttling and APM management. Hit the latest BIOS and it should go away.

Getting 1.41v is quite risky as Bulldozer doesn't need that high. I've got my FX-6100 working at 4.2GHz at just 1.3v. So drop the voltage until it either cannot boot or have stability issues. Then work out the speed from there.

Ok see I thought the default voltage was 1.35v? I read around that anything under 1.5v should be ok but I might try lowering it a tad more and see how it goes. Also I have the latest BIOS as stated I tried the lastest solid release (F2) and the alpha (F3a) they have unlocked a few RAM oc settings but nothing relating to AMD APM unfortunately.

Ok see I thought the default voltage was 1.35v? I read around that anything under 1.5v should be ok but I might try lowering it a tad more and see how it goes. Also I have the latest BIOS as stated I tried the lastest solid release (F2) and the alpha (F3a) they have unlocked a few RAM oc settings but nothing relating to AMD APM unfortunately.

Hmmm, usually the latest BIOS should have fixed the AMD APM issue. But then again, this chipset isn't optimised for Bulldozer anyway. Default voltage is actually 1.3v. Yes, anything under 1.5v is okay but try and drop it further. Most FX-4100 was able to go 4.5GHz on a slight voltage increase.

Hmmm, usually the latest BIOS should have fixed the AMD APM issue. But then again, this chipset isn't optimised for Bulldozer anyway. Default voltage is actually 1.3v. Yes, anything under 1.5v is okay but try and drop it further. Most FX-4100 was able to go 4.5GHz on a slight voltage increase.

Thansk sora3 when I get home ill try and drop it to 1.39 maybe and see if it will do 4.2/4.4Ghz still.

This motherboard wasnt optimised for it no, as it was a panicked replacement I didnt think to check this out before purchasing. There still has to be a way though, its almost false advertising by gigabyte

EDIT: thanks for telling me the default voltage by the way I have been hunting on the net for days, all I can find is people with oc'd raised voltages or undervolting, no one ever mentions stock voltage lol

Edited by conzo

Another thing is that the CPU is also under the influence of Turbo as well. So I'd go into the BIOS and try and disable C1E and as well as C6 states. This usually causes the spikes. Another thing to make sure is CnQ (Cool n' Quiet) is disabled.

Another thing is that the CPU is also under the influence of Turbo as well. So I'd go into the BIOS and try and disable C1E and as well as C6 states. This usually causes the spikes. Another thing to make sure is CnQ (Cool n' Quiet) is disabled.

Yes, as I said in my first post all the typical nasties are disabled.

C1E, CnQ, Turbo Core etc, LLC is set to Medium (most stable option I have found)... Basic stuff is done.

--- Still having this issue, Gigabyte have asked me for screenshots... It's like they dont know what APM is at all? Anyone out there with a master tip to resolve this? ---

Oh and on the note of my overclock it seems I can go down to MAX 1.39v for 4.2Ghz, still Prime95 testing as I type but it passed Intel BurnTest. Core temps haven't passed 51c

Posted Image

Some modern motherboards have a backup BIOS you can switch to in case you brick the current one. Unless your old board never had that feature.

Nope my old motherboard didn't have dual BIOS, if it did I would still be using it lol. This new one does though :D

The latest BIOS F5a is actually a beta according to the web site.

Nope it's F3a, you're looking at the wrong board revision mine is rev 5.0 not 3.1 or 4.0

Good work there.

Thanks, not as high as some but considering this budget board I am satisfied, still not satisfied with having to use software to disable APM though..

Oh yes, I forgot about Gigabyte's weird Revision naming system. CnQ is pretty useless as well, I tried using it on an old socket 939 system once and went back to running the CPU at full speed as it made the CPU fan do weird things.

Edited by Jeruselem

A bit of an update!

I have been back and forth with Gigabyte over this, they have since emailed me a NEW BIOS that is not on the website F3e, according to their site the latest alpha is F3a.

I haven't tried it yet as I'm still at work ( help desk hours >.< ) but I will update this thread when I do, hopefully there is an APM setting!

Ok so f3e added C6 support, another one f3f just emailed to me (thats two new BIOS's) is yet to be tested... Im keeping this updated incase anyone else winds up in this situation

AWESOME~

I have had a chance to test this new BIOS that Gigabyte have emailed to me 'F3f' and it does infact include C6 and APM settings.

Disabled C1E, CnQ, C6, Virtualization and APM within the BIOS and bam! No throttling when my CPU hits its max tdp unlike before. If anyone else has this motherboard and an FX chip and is experiencing the same problems feel free to email me as I have kept a copy of the BIOS and can pass it on, Gigabyte havent released it yet.