fajw

'affirmative action'

'affirmative action'  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Should 'affirmative action' occur?

• yes
    • no

'Affirmative action' is basically government supported or enforced discrimination. It can be pro-female, pro-aboriginal, pro-disability etc. It means that certain minorities or other groups may get preference (in employment, education, etc.) over others more suited to the role because they are female or aboriginal, etc. I think it's bad and the government should fuck off. Each workplace doesn't need to have an equal representation of members of society. Different groups of people are suited to different roles and it's none of the government's business to change it. What do you think?

sounds like your government spends time making stupid decisions that don't make a difference

if I was a employer I wouldn't give a shit about that law and id argue my decision in court not to hire someone

and if I did have to hire them cos this law was in place id put on a mask (just in-case) then stab them with a needle full of heroin or some illicit mind altering drug when they weren' t looking to get them fucked up, then id call the cops.

that's what happens when you expect people to feel sorry

and if I did have to hire them cos this law was in place id put on a mask (just in-case) then stab them with a needle full of heroin or some illicit mind altering drug when they weren' t looking to get them fucked up, then id call the cops.

You're clearly a very sane and stable individual, with no violent tendencies what so ever!

You're clearly a very sane and stable individual, with no violent tendencies what so ever!

Can we add that to the list of affirmative minorities? Sounds like the perfect to be a politician or CEO. :)

I think it's bad and the government should fuck off. Each workplace doesn't need to have an equal representation of members of society.

Good thing we don't have any laws demanding that isn't it?

I think it's bad and the government should fuck off. Each workplace doesn't need to have an equal representation of members of society.

Although there are certain sectors/companies that are exempt from EO laws so they can have a more (or less) diverse workplace. And I'm not just talking about churches.

That's in the law - you can apply for exemption.

Sounds good. I'm not just talking about our government. So our universities and workplaces are doing it by themselves without government influence?

I do not support affirmative action. I don't agree with policies or attitudes that wontedly ignore very clear differences that people have. It is a fact of life, some groups of people can be better or worse at certain things. Differences in people leads to diversity, it is something to be celebrated, it is something that leads to interesting collaboration and innovation.

What I will passionately support are laws and policies that seek to root out discrimination. I do not want to see people ever denied an opportunity simply because of some arbitrary aspect such as sex, religion, ethnicity, disability. If they can do a job just as well as anyone else, or a group of people who tend to dominate the field, they should be extended every opportunity the same as anyone else without fear of reprisal, abuse, or harassment. But I believe strongly in the best person for the job.

Unfortunately, the reality is a lot more complex, and policies have to be drawn up to address some of the more obvious problems our society is facing. I don't feel positive discrimination is the way forward, but in some cases there doesn't seem to be other answers.

As some may have noticed, my political leanings are a very mixed bag. Ultimately, I believe everyone should have to work hard and prove themselves capable.

Affirmative Action is, cos some people are racist scum / bigots / misogynists /misandrists etc.

So until we all learn to play well with each other we probably still need something along the lines of Affirmative Action.

And the fact that AA has such a bad reputation says nothing what so ever for the business / person instigating it.

This is what it should be ...

AAWTBOCS - Affirmative Action Within The Bounds Of Common Sense.

Affirmative Action is, cos some people are racist scum / bigots / misogynists /misandrists etc.

So until we all learn to play well with each other we probably still need something along the lines of Affirmative Action.

And the fact that AA has such a bad reputation says nothing what so ever for the business / person instigating it.

Common sense is sadly ill named though. I keep hearing about this reasonable person, yet to meet them.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

EEO is very different to AA.

EEO is about not discriminating.

AA is about making a conscious decision to discriminate.

It's all right there in the name....

EEO is very different to AA.

EEO is about not discriminating.

AA is about making a conscious decision to discriminate.

It's all right there in the name....

I'm not defending either AA or EEO, both came about cos we can't be trusted to do the right thing ... I read your other thread.

In Malaysia, for example, AA is alive and working, albeit rather badly. The New Economic Policy (NEP), a socio-economic restructuring affirmative action program, was launched in 1971 to reduce the economic disparity between the Chinese minority and Malay majority populations. Its goal was to target a 30% share of the economy to the Malay majority (or locally bumiputra). Although the program offically terminated in 1990, government statistics show that the NEP failed to reach its goal.

The reason for the implementation of the NEP was fairly simple. After almost 10 years of independence (Malaysia became an independent nation in 1957), the bumiputra only had a 2.4% share of the economy, while the rest was in mainly Chinese hands and was a source of anomosity between the 2 races, which eventually resulted in the "May 13th" riots.

However, the results are clear. One can say that the NEP was a successful program in that it equalised, somewhat, the economic disparity between the races since its inception in 1971. The government of Malaysia, and certain Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs), claim that the NEP should continue until the 30%, some are asking for that % to increase, goal is reach considering that the Bumiputras constitute 60%+ of the population of Malaysia. However, on the flipside:

1) High brain drain rates. Its estimated that, between 2008-2009, that over 300k people left Malaysia to work else where. This is mainly due to NEP policies.

2) Foreign Direct Investment has decreased since 2009. Due to its 30% policies, although that arguable.

3) The standard of tertiary education has fallen. A side effect of the NEP, where it basically only allows Bumiputras to attend the local universities forcing others to go overseas their tertiary education. Most students from state controlled tertiary faciliities are sub-par due to the lowering of passing standards at said universities.

These are just a few things that have resulted from the NEP, long term.

Although it is clear that, at least initially, the Malaysian Government acted on a disparity that exist in faith, which initiated the NEP. However, it has since created, what most Malaysians (71%) consider, a culture of entitlement in some circles of the Bumiputra community. Although, as a fact, 60% bumiputra are calling for the abolishment of the NEP as they see it as a program that has, in the past 4 decades, benefitted an elite few, and are asking that it be replaced with a merit based system.

This is just one such AA initiative that exists throughout the world. Most AA actions are usually done for the good of the people. However, most never actually attain goals set by the government. Although politically, the governments who pass such initiatives, may become popular or looked at as progressive. However, in the long term, it creates a sense of aninmosity with other sections of the population, generally the races that are not covered by such AA. I leave you with a thought. What if the Australian Government decided to impliment AA for the Indigenous Australians? I end here.

Edited by strifus

Although there are certain sectors/companies that are exempt from EO laws so they can have a more (or less) diverse workplace. And I'm not just talking about churches.

Equal Opportunity does not equal Affirmative Action.

Equal Opportunity does not equal Affirmative Action.

What happens when you suspend EO for AA purposes?

For instance?

Edited by Hlass

When my missus worked for the same company I did, she hated AA. There was always the question, was she promoted because she was the best candidate for the job or was it because of AA? The professional women I knew at the time didn't like it for that reason, while guys didn't like it because there was always the question when you came up against a women.

Of course this is just one workplace at the time, but I think back then it did more harm than good.