sora3

Atomic F1 GP2 Season #2

WHERE ARE THE UNICORNS?!?!

Nah, that will do beautifully :)

OK, so, Rup's out, can't commit to a season. BUT he did say he would be happy to fill in now and then for me.

I think I need a FIA ruling on this one. Do we have any rules around substitute drivers? Obviously it helps with Constructors championships (but not individual ones). And, under what scenarios would it be acceptable?

Some that I can think of:

1) I've done a Grosjean and picked up a race ban

2) I'm sick

3) Something came up at the last minute and I can't make it

4) I couldn't be fucked racing this week

Over to you, O wise ones.

Well, this is quite tricky as this opens a big can of worms. ATM, we still have space which negates this issue. Only when the spots are filled and there are people keen on the week, then this could be done. However, I will say that if you miss out due to something, then that's bad luck on you. Not that I'm that harsh but having this rule where "you race, you earn points" is probably the fairest to enforce. But good point to bring up though.

So I promised some news and I'll spill but first some house keeping and a bit of a 'state of the union' address, so if you bear with me....

Atomic F1 turns 2 years old very shortly. It's hard to imagine that in such a relatively short period of time we've gone from a rag tag bunch of racers and expanded to the heights of were we are now. So If you'll all indulge me for a moment, I'd like to say a few thanks.

Firstly I'd like to thank everyone who's participated now and over these last years. Without the enthusiasm of the community we would not be able to have this competition. Secondly while everyone is a contributor no matter how small there is obviously a few that I cannot do this without. Firstly Flouncy who has worked tirelessly in whipping us into shape when it comes to organising, promoting and being the face of Atomic F1 as it's official FIA director I say a hearty thanks. Ben and I have known each other for nearly 10 years now and it's hard to believe we started out racing in V8 super cars all those years ago now.

To Fallen who took on the monster job of 'Atomic F1 Webmaster' and ran with it. The site is as I'm sure everyone agrees is better than ever, and can only keep going that way.

To Modz who's video editing skills has give us wonderful intros and outtros for our many Atomic videos, we say thanks for that. No Atomic Lambo video is complete with his videos.

I want to thank Kikz, that while it's probable he won't read this was the first to really push the web presence of our league. While things didn't work out, he was an important part of our history and deserves thanks for the work he did.

Lastly I'd like to thank the old guard of racers who've basically stuck with the league from basically the start. Ghost, Mark, sora, Fredz, ET. You guys have been the heart and sole of the league. I hope that your involvement continues as I can't imagine an Atomic F1 without you guys.

And I guess as a final final thanks. The new guard. Schmeval, Webby, Loose, ToF9, Oz you guys have been a breath of fresh air. Showed all of us that there is always quicker.

So here is to 2 great years, and hopefully more.

Now. Onto the news you've been waiting for. So we have this wonderful community, this kick ass website and plenty of traffic starting come through. So the next step is the logical one. Getting some partners and sponsors on board so we can start giving some prizes away, reward the winners, as well as establish ourselves as a professionally run but fun racing league. Over the last few weeks I've been talking to Thrustmaster about getting them onboard with supplying us with some goodies. I'm pleased to announce that we have reached a preliminary agreement and Thrustmaster should be coming on board as a sponsor this season pending some details to be worked out. It will be baby steps to start off with since this is our first real sponsor. Unfortunately we are not able to have instant access to any licensed products (i.e Ferrari) but this is something that if in the next few months works out we can start discussing with them and move to the next phase. This is an exciting opportunity as it means that if it goes well it gives us opportunities to tie in with other vendors.

What does this mean for the website? Yes it does mean that there will be a partner logo for Thrustmaster and likely a banner ad somewhere on the site. I have spoken with Ben who's spoken to Dave at Atomic and there are no issues with that. If anyone has any queries relating to this I'd be happy to answer them.

One other item I'd like to address is the forum on Atomic F1. There was discussion long ago that it would be used to replace us using the Atomicmpc website for communiqué. However it was quickly realised that part of our charm and reach is that we have this wonderful relationship with Atomicmpc. Dave has been more than accommodating and understanding of our league and the relationship, and it's certainly been the main source of our growth. It's a relationship we want to continue. However part of driving traffic and generating interest to the website is the forum there. I'm certainly NOT saying we stop posting here. It would just be nice if we could use it for the discussions that either deviate from the goal of this thread or the GP2 thread. Other racing or F1 news discussions would be the kind of things I'm talking about. Next real F1 season I hope to start an F1 tipping competition out of that forum that hopefully will be entertaining for everyone and get them in the mindset that the forum is there. Once again I don't want to discourage use of this forum, it's vital we don't.

If anyone at all has questions please ask.

Now onto more news....the announcement of prizes for the Atomic F1/GP2 championship. What we'll be fighting for!

Atomic F1

1st Place - Thrustmaster TH8RS shifter supplied by Thrustmaser

2nd Place - TBA (Prize will be donated by Atomicmpc, just waiting on Dave to let us know what it is!)

3rd Place - Kingston 16GB DataTraveler Locker with Hardware Encryption supplied by Atomic F1

Atomic GP2

1st Place - Steelseries Siberia V2 Pro Gaming Headset supplied by Atomic F1

2nd Place - TBA (Prize will be donated by Atomicmpc, just waiting on Dave to let us know with it is!)

3rd Place - Sandisk 16GB USB 3.0 Memory Key supplied by Atomic F1

As more prizes come available I will hopefully be adding to this list but in the mean time I hope everyone will be excited by this. I know I am.

This is really awesome mate.

It's a big day for AtomicF1.

I second all of Lambos thanks, it's great to a be a part of AtomicF1 and hang out with you guys.

Let's go racing.

Im dropping down to gp2 because of school jasegp you can take my spot in gp1 and i would like to be in ferrari please :)

Wow, that's pretty cool news Lambo, nice work mate! As always, thanks go to those of you who make these competitions happen, the effort is much appreciated.

Just on that, I notice there was a bit of chat on the GP1 thread about race reports and that type of content; I'd like to volunteer to have a crack at that for the GP2 series if the rest of you are happy?

Welcome to GP2 Tim, try not to smash us too badly ;-)

G

Awesome sauce on the linkage!

And updated for roster. Still time to go before the season begins again!

Is it possible guys too make this season start earlier say 7.30 or 6.30 would really be awesome.

Edited by timf25

Well, I thought about that tim but since I rely a lot on getting everything done before 8pm, that seemed fair.

Grey G can't start earlier, and I'd like for him to stay in the competition. Either way, welcome back timf25 :-D

And Lambo, what about me for starting GP2? Nah it's fine hahahaha. What you've done/going to do is bloody awesome

Edited by nobody813

Thanks Nobes.

The 8:30 start correlates to 6:30am for me, meaning I have to be up around 5:45 to clear the cobwebs enough to race, and to get everything set up. I can assure you that having my alarm go off at that time on a Sunday morning does not make me terribly popular with my wife as it is.

That said, the daylight savings effect changes things. From 7 October, when AEDST starts, your 8:30 becomes my 5:30. Then from 4 November, when EDST finishes in the US, your 8:30 becomes my 4:30. So if we started at your 6:30, that'd make it 2:30. Which, while still not brilliant timing, works out better than 4:30 in terms of my sleep patterns and the happy marital home.

But that said, 8:30 was our established time last season and changing it affects more people than just me, and, being the odd one out time wise, I'll try and fit in with the majority on this one.

G

I have a very, very strong preference to stay at 8.30. My nightly routine with kids means I can *just* get them settled in time to sit down to an 8.30 race. If it were earlier, that would put my race smack bang in dinner, bath and bed time which means, every Sunday night a) leaving my wife with it and b) guaranteed child interruptions. Not saying I'm the only consideration here, but just throwing my 2 cents in.

Hey effing, I'll go a double pack with you if you like. PM me and we'll sort it out.

Done. Sorry for late response was out all weekend photographing a dog show and car shopping.

So, anyone else need a partner for buying the game? :)

i could do it with you but how do we split it????

Fred pays and you barter in 'services'.

Someone buys the two pack and gifts the second copy to the other person. Then work out between yourselves how to re-inburse the other.

Having said that, the two pack went up in price as did the single copy....same thing happened with F1 2011. Lucky to have got it at $33!

Hey I was just wondering do you guys want to start racing this week?

It be better if we started as soon as possible in my opinion if it doesn't cause a problem them why not???

Hi Gents

I have been given a spot in the main F1 championship after Timf25 moved back here, I will still need to test my net connection with the new game and full grid of drivers. If this goes OK then I will race in that championship if not and there's still room in GP2 I would still like to race here, normally GP2 has smaller grids and you guys don't worry so much about any race hiccups. So lets see what happens.

It sounds like some of the GP2 guys are coming to terms with the new game and this hopfully makes things alot closer which should in turn make for better racing. Only a few days till it's relased , I'm still trying to get my wheel dialed in as I don't like the turn in feel at the moment. Fanatec GT3RS

Also having trouble getting the game to run on my brother Vista 64bit SP2 machine which meets all the spec required, keeps coming up with an error message " Directx10 or 11 support required" when the game is starting. DXdiags reports DX10.1 is installed and I have also tried it on a different machine with Vista32bit and DX11 installed with the same result. So has anybody else have this issue and if so how do I over come it ? My game runs fine on Windows 7 64bit after I replaced the mother board with the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 as the Gigabyte Z77D3H was faulty and causing huge problems, now the system is flying.

Cheers

ATM, I've got to dial in my wheel a lot more since the Logitech Driving Force EX isn't helping for F1 2012. The limited turn range make it perfect for F1 but it's so damn twitchy...Definitely need to bring it down a notch.

There's a big problem with Steam's VoIP - it can't be turned off easily, so all mics in a session transmit constantly, that means 16 engine sounds.\

Here's the fix:

Fixed the Steam mic problem:

You need to change the DEFAULT WINDOWS MIC to something you don't plan on using.

Go to Sound in Control Panel, make whatever you don't use to be the default mic device.

Save that, then go to Steam settings and change it again there to the mic you have just selected (NON-WORKING).

You are now free to use Vent and whatever mic you have set up for that.

So for me, I chose X-Fi line in, which I don't use. Then Selected that in Steam and now I'm free to use Vent and the mic device (USB). Smooth sailing.

Edited by Flouncy

Hey I was just wondering do you guys want to start racing this week?

It be better if we started as soon as possible in my opinion if it doesn't cause a problem them why not???

Because people need to time to learn and re-adjust to the new game, not just to get used to the new physics and driving model, but to master the new features, the brake bias, how the race fuel selection before a race effects the car etc.

Patience, things will get started, but gotta give people time. I'm sure there will be plenty of multiplayer adhoc sessions going on up to the lead up of the first FNP.

Note edited the above vent post to be clearer.

e: and make a note of the above because you WILL need to do it.

Edited by Flouncy