sora3

Atomic F1 GP2 Season #2

Millen, congratulations on taking 10th overall in GP2. That now puts me in 11th haha

Really looking forward to seeing how the season wraps up. Was awesome racing with you gentlemen

Looks like a great battle between Des and Soj for the win....

You 2 have had tremendous speed all weekend and the times posted in Qualy would have been good enough for 3rd and 4th in GP1, Great effort :)

SOJ figured I would report in with this discovery here.

Gave the settings a go, Logitech Profiler is matching OZ's except with 327 degrees (bitch of a mouse, no other reason lol) (previously ran with 240 degrees).

Car set up was the 1,1 etc, which really should not work. But Brazil online with Rogue managed a 1.13.5 quali, but I'm sure there are still some times to be gained there with gear settings, changed that and managed a 1:14.5 in race trim.

No shadow of a doubt that these settings work. Shorter lap does help with the lap time differences, but I know that there is more time to gain from where I am at now, which doesn't usually happy without spending a heap of time playing with setups.

Thanks a million for sharing.

Edit: Question of course is what time everyone else is doing as a real comparison. I know where i am with Rogue, so i can make some education guesses from there to the rest.

Edited by zdievo

Race Rep:

Qualy:

Got out a banker on the Primes, came in, saw the gap to Rogue and Plods and knew I couldn't breach the gap on Primes. Tried with a new set in case Sora or Toggsie - right behind me - put in a better one, binned it big time and span about 20 times so gave it up for 7th.

Race:

First lap, traffic throughout. First hairpin of the 2nd sector and I tap rogue off-track. I'm trying to pull up without getting tapped myself by Millen but I can't pull it off. Then had a bit of a stint with Fredz until I finally put a pass on him just before lap 3. Proceed straight into a battle with Sora, then finally get some clean air in 6th for lap 4. By lap 6 Millen is 10 ahead and rogue is 10 behind.

Millen pits about lap 8 but I don't really see anyone until he catches and passes me lap 11. He is flying on better tires and I don't fight. Get a good squeeze from Wingnut whilst lapping him on 14. I took the inside but he makes space on the outside, by the time he sees me Im nearly driving in the wall. Then Ploddy passes me much the same as Millen and that's it. Put in 19 laps on the primes, they are pretty red by the time I go in, but theres a good gap ahead and a good gap behind, so no pressure, and thats my race....

.....hang on a sec, its the start of lap 26 and theres a yellow dot exiting the pits....its Ploddy....ok, better start racing again, I have a shot at 5th now. The gap is 3 seconds, now 2 seconds, now less than 1 and there is a lap to go...don't think I can do this with one more DRS zone. He drops half a second in sector one, it's enough to make me survive and I finish half a sec up.

Thanks Ploddy.

SOJ figured I would report in with this discovery here.

Gave the settings a go, Logitech Profiler is matching OZ's except with 327 degrees (bitch of a mouse, no other reason lol) (previously ran with 240 degrees).

Car set up was the 1,1 etc, which really should not work. But Brazil online with Rogue managed a 1.13.5 quali, but I'm sure there are still some times to be gained there with gear settings, changed that and managed a 1:14.5 in race trim.

No shadow of a doubt that these settings work. Shorter lap does help with the lap time differences, but I know that there is more time to gain from where I am at now, which doesn't usually happy without spending a heap of time playing with setups.

Thanks a million for sharing.

Edit: Question of course is what time everyone else is doing as a real comparison. I know where i am with Rogue, so i can make some education guesses from there to the rest.

Wow Pete. I haven't raced Brasil / Brazil but early days 1:13's! that is excellent pace to work from! Wonder what Rogue must be doing?

Race report.

I had an Uber shite, hot day at work and knew i would be in for a bad one come race time. No pre drink meds for the shakes and flat out dehydrated "cant be ""Eff""ed" mentality had me tuned in to a more a likened Sunday Cruise.

I went out on my primes an instantly knew my grip lvls were gone compared to practise. My new Steering tweaks had me down for 1:39 race pace( drs in drs zone only etc) and a qualy of lowish 1:38s. The Mclarens grip was exactly like light rain levels so I was learning where to push / brake / turn etc in qualy. Got a P9 start I think and was prepared to cruise the race for a safe Sora points beating finish

Come the start turn1 shenanigans and opportunities arose to weave through the pack at many early turns possibly up to P6/7. Then a couple of cars re-entering here and there with a tap to my RH tub sent me spinning. Dead last... Cruise control on...Speed set. "How's the serenity!"

Somehow Rogey Boy spins, somewhere...... and I gently cruise by on his right. Whilst changing the radio station and adjusting my mirrors, I run wide on the second last turn. ( I had been nailing that turn in practise to a 2 gear drop down but needed 3 gears down even with low fuel at the end to make it round every time) I run wide and this massive frikken yellow and red sign is ampling up towards me. Oh well, I haven't hit one of these before. Shabanga, Straight through the guts.... Wicked... One more to the collection. Rogue then passes by. I think he brakes late into the final turn because he was too busy laughing at me....

Somehow my cruise control glitches and over speeds me back up to Rogue and Wingnut. I grip on the entry of the DRS straight well and Rogue begins his pass on Wingnut under DRS to the left. Wingnut gives space and goes right. I am leaning under the dash trying to yank the cruise control wires out as I pass both Wingnut and Rogue simultaneously through the center. Just like the sign but with less colourful pieces. 3 cars abreast down the straight. I get a little tap whilst in the sandwich(or maybe gave one???) then cut in front off Wingnut to the right. That 2 position overtake was the highlight of my race!!!! I brake for the corner and Wingnut shunts me off the road. Rogue takes us both, laughing...again. Wingnut slows to let me go ahead. Cheers Buddy, and I'm off again in my search for Miss Daisy.....er....daughter...er...Grand Daughter? Great Grand Daughter???

Rogue pits . I pass. Catch Sora. He pits. I pass. very Safe Sunday driving. Rogue c0mes out and turns a 13 second gap to 10seconds in about 2 laps. Time for these Wets to change out even though it was only lap 14ish. I pit. Rogue passes but no laughing. I come out with Sora still behind but close. Grease Lightning comes on the radio. Oh yeah. Now these options feel like primes. Woohoo. Go Grease Lightning..

Rogue hits traffic, I catch but not fully happy with these options. Hit a bit of Kers to just sneak into DRS detection but then run a little deep and DRS wasn't enough to make up for error. Radio dies. Lightning gone as well as "THE ECLIPSE"

Rogue hits traffic again, Radio splutters, Tyres say na ahh. One final slight error and I never see him again.

P8... Sora P9 =)

What a pleasant drive.

One more to learn. One more to go.

It's Sora's time..... Can he rewrite the show?

Nup ;P

Race Report:

Looking back over it now, it really was a fantastic race!

One of my favorites, an epic battle, no car trouble, no driving errors and no problems with tyre wear. Just balls out

on the table from start to finish great fun.

Qualifying:

I knew I had my work cut of for me as Ozmosis had been managing to get 1.36's in practice. I went out

on my first run and set a banker lap which would have been good enough for second but, I decided on a second run

and left nothing on the table. My new helmet helped me set my

of the week and one of the best I have ever done.

I really was on the edge and what a great challenge the man from Mercedes put down.

Race:

actually went OK, I still can't manage the Mario Kart turbo boost starts of Rougee though. I moved over to the

left to cover off an inside attack and was hit up the rear which pushed me very wide. I rejoined along side

rouge who I didn't know was there as I don't have indicators switched on. I see his Williams right hand front wheel

and take evasive action in order to avoid contact.

I try to settle in and start about catching the leading pack. I crank the fuel up and get

on the next lap. Nightfire

is next and this battle goes for 8 laps before I'm able to shake him. I take another hit into the hairpin which pushes me

wide but I think this may have been down to connection as you can see

your car was jumping around a fair bit.

The next few laps I just go hell for leather with lap times trying to catch Oz. Pushing hard I manage to get the gap down

1.3 sec's at best but have used up all my excess fuel fighting back. We both come around to lap

and I don't

think he knew I was there as he seamed to stop on the racing line and I tapped him losing me more time nooooooooooooo!!!

(No hard feelings mate all part of the game). Oz then cranked his engine up and I just tried to maintain the gap to the

finish incase of a error, No such luck.

Very good nights racing I enjoyed it immensely, especially the fight back. This rivally is heating up nicely.Keeps making

me improve which can only be a good thing.

Driver Quote:

"Great race and great way to come back. We definitly had the pace to win today but that wasn't to be. Congrats to

Oz and Mercedes on the Constructors and the Win. I'd also like t..........................er sorry what was that

Mr domenicali, Yeah sure I've got a few minutes to talk to you"

In other news the racing rig in the living rooms has been sacked, a no go unfortunatly.I have been given the nod to go

for a full blown all be it small man cave. So the obutto revolution will be ordered this week followed by four 32" TVs and a couch.

Beer fridge, PS3 and F1 memorabilia all ready to go.

May take awhile but phase 1 is go go go

Glad the wheel settings helped yo Evo but don't get to fast that lap times not bad at all!

Shame Fredz maybe get a bit sick it's the last race, come on mate!

Qualiying:

Race:

Edited by sonofjorel88

This rivally is heating up nicely.Keeps making me improve which can only be a good thing.

Speaking from myself and maybe others here, but don't mind about the rivalry, and glad you are improving, but not sure about making you improve either!

Glad the wheel settings helped yo Evo but don't get to fast that lap times not bad at all!

Yeh, but going to have to see how decent of a lap it is on Sunday night. only educated guesses on others times. can only make my 2nd season MUCH better.

@ toggsie...hmm, if I practice the crap out of Intelargos and place at least a podium, then should be the biggest upset ever... :)

Ok I'm back, needed a new heart after that race.

Quali time was my fastest ever and thought it was enough to put me on pole so I retired from the session. Bam SoJ slaps down a time .025 quicker, well done, wasn't expecting that. SoJ had gotten alot faster over the weekend so I knew I had a big fight on my hands.

Race start was ok, I've done worse so cannot complain. SoJ moved over to cover the inside line so I was just going to follow he through turn one. Got a shove in the back that pushed me into SoJ and he when very wide and lost 3 positions. Given pace SoJ and I have I now needed to drive fast and clean to get the win, so I settled in and started pumping out consistent laps. Nightfire initially stayed with me but I managed to shake him loose before the DRS got activated. By lap 9 I was

ahead of SoJ who was now clear of Nightfire, Nights had done a great job of holding SoJ back while I extended my lead. Once I saw SoJ consistently taking atleast half a sec out of my lead I was tempted to turn up the fuel mix but decided to keep the fuel for the end, my tires where worn by this stage and I'd just over drive the car. New boots on lap
pn my out lap I picked up a piece of the f#$%ing signage that was scatted all over the race line. Primes where predictably average until I got a couple of laps on them. Nightfire was making a come back setting fastest laps. With the new tires SoJ wasn't catching me as fast and I managed to maintain the gap at around 4 - 5 seconds for a few laps. With 9 laps to go SoJ again starting to gain on me now down to 3 seconds so it was time to up the
! The car was feeling nice and light, the extra fuel was letting me maintain the lead again but still SoJ was there, gaining a bit here loosing a bit there, the pressure was full-on! There was some
to get through now and I was very careful not to trip up on any of them as I had done in other races, I think I had the better run as I gained a some time and got DRS from Freds too :).

Quote: Great win not a classic wheel to wheel battle more a battle of the stop watches, good pressure from SoJ all race. Good fast consistent laps got me there. Happy days at Mercedes with the Constructors title in the bag. Be expecting some headaches in the morning!

Full Vid

Edited by desmo1098s

Finally getting around to writing about the race. Can't remember a great deal of it, was a pretty quite race for me, will do my best, but I think I have quite a few bits wrong...

Set a nice solid time in my first Quali stint, and was very happy with third place. I had been a little bit quicker the day before, by a couple of tenths, so decided to head out and try and better my time, but screwed up 2 hot laps in my second stint and had to call it a day. Still very happy with third place. Considering I was struggling to get much better than a low 1.40 up until a couple of day before that race, I was very happy with my time.

Race start, and my first lap was a bit of a crap one as I struggled with the heavy car, lost a few places, but had made a couple up by the end of the lap. After that I just knuckled down and tried to keep a steady pace, holding down 5th or 6th I think... My Options where getting pretty worn about 5 laps in, pushed them out to lap 8 before I started losing too much time. Pitted for my primes and away I went. Pessi had passed me by this stage, so I set about catching him up, he was on a longer stint having started on primes, it took me a few laps but I got him down the main straight, and managed to pull a gap with fresher tyres.

From then it was just staying consistant and watching the race unfold as other guys pitted and passed. Eventually pitted on lap 21 to change to Options again, and when I came out Ploddy had taken my spot, how dare he, so now I set about passing him, didn't take too long, a couple of laps for my tyres to warm up and he was mine. He did scare me a bit at first, as I was sure his tyres where getting quite worn, but every lap he would go past the pits again and again,

Made two on track passes, both in the DRS zone on the long straight,

*edit. ah stuff it, I have no idea what happened anymore, above is a rough recollection.

Overall a nice solid result, the best I could have hoped for, and a lot better than the week before. Hoping for the same result or better in Brazil, which is a track I really like and the place of my only AtomicF1 victory. A nice strong finish to the year is what myself and the team want.

**also, as a side note, Wingnut, no offense mate, but do you think you could do something about your mic, every time you pressed the speak button, it sounded like a million cats screeching at once. Was not great on the ears... Have a watch of rogues race video and watch until after the first corner of the first lap to see what I mean... Cheers mate.

***One more, I'm not sure when the next season will be starting, the weekend after the Australian GP would be best for me, but is anyone who owns RACE07 interested in running some quick races possibly on Friday nights or even Sundays? I'm pretty busy most weekends until after the GP, but Sunday nights should still be ok. Let me know...

Edited by millen

My unsophisticated race rig:

Built it around the time GT5 FINALLY came out, using a mates dad's off cut of aluminium for window frames.

All is tight and sturdy, does need to be tighten every so often, nice comfy seat from a Commodore, mate was on his forums and some guy was given them away. So its a fully adjustable seat, up and down and lumbar support too.

So basically whole thing was free to make, score. If i ever find the spare cash I will do upgrades with the PC, Screens and sound all hooked up. And somewhere for the keyboard and mouse and not have to use cushion for the mouse. oh and the love to have the D-pad on up right too, but works well how it is. get use to it.

Nothing fancy for me, but does the job very well and can be transported easily enough even in a sedan with rear folding seats. Just need to break it down a bit.

ps. How do I go about getting my profile on the Atomic F1 updated/information put in?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice zdievo. Is that seat from a VN/VP? My seat is from a VS :) Exactly the same as in one of my actual cars. Very comfortable and adjustable as you say.

Just need a few trays, some wood would be nice and easy to make and mount to your side struts with some brackets. Get cracking young son.

If you want your profile updated on the website, just sent me the info via PM and I'll pop it up with your pictures as well. Not at home tonight, so I'll do it hopefully Thursday or Friday night.

Here you go Rougee!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/105610

I'll get RACE07 up and going mate. I have it but haven't had time to play it. Let me get Brazil out the way and the obutto up and going and your on!

I like it, looks different and the darker color will go well with my new millen designed lid!

Interesting how empty it is at the back. Looked like it had reasonable pace on day 1 although there was some question about the exhaust set up.

G

Nice Evo. Maybe a Ford seat might be better though eh?

My obutto is ordered which moves me onto monitors. After some research and reading the FAQ's 32" is gonna be too big for me. So 24 is gonna be the go. I'm looking at around 1200 for the screens.

Are the dell ultra sharp's my best bet?

If you've got the cash to get them, then yeah I guess so.

I'd be inclined to save some money though and maybe look at something with a TN panel. Colour reproduction and viewing angles on a simrig isn't a massive deal, so IPS is a bit of a waste, plus you'll have a quicker response time with the TN panels.

I have the older model of these LG screens, and they have been fine. Sure, I notice the difference if I plug one in on my desktop machine next to the Dell Ultrasharp, but on the simrig they are totally fine.

Would 27"s be too big still? You could pick up 3 27" for less than the 3 Dell 24" ultrasharps.

This Samsung looks pretty good too, plus it's 16:10, so you'll have a bit more vertical height.

Only trouble, well, not really trouble, inconvenience is the lack of displayport on those models. But plenty of other people use the active adapters without any issue.

Finished rogue's helmet last night, just have to update the font for his name, that one's not real flash.

Posted Image

Who's next?

huummmmmmmmmmmmmmm 27". I like the this one but the frame seems a little thick.

I'm sure I wouldn't notice it once all three are together and it's maybe not that thick up close. this one is shit in comparison right?

I trust your judgement mate you know a lot more about Graphic/ Picture quality than I do. I think the first one might be the go.

Gives me more to splash out on a new wireless keyboard and mouse.

and this is the sort of thing I'll be needing to get it all to work together?

Please forgive the noob in the corner. Thanks for your help gents

EDIT:

Cockpit

Monitors

Mouse and Keyboard

Adapter

Thanks for your help guys will up some pic's when finished

Now operation keep wife away from bank account engaged!!!!!

Edited by sonofjorel88

SOJ would prefer the bucket seats from my Mitsubishi, but i need those for well, my car.

Millen, yeh VN/VP seat, great for doing long stints.

rogue, despite what Williams think the FIA have told them and Caterham that their exhaust are illegal, but some are saying that according to the rule, it is legal, but there is some technical directive given to all teams in 2011 that isn't public say otherwise:

Scroll down past the wheel and legs picture

Do wonder what effects it will have on Williams performance if it is illegal. But it is still only just testing. all means something and nothing all at once. Stupid smoke and mirrors of F1.

Edit: scrap that ESPN says Williams and Caterham are seeking clarification from Charlie.

Edited by zdievo