usurper

x58a-ud3r i7950 O/C benchmarking

Hey all,

I am kinda new to over clocking and just have a few basic questions.

My system:

x58a-ud3r

i7 950

H80 liquid cooling

3x2Gb Mushkin enhanced blackline

gtx 560

128Gb ssd main drive

When I started my O/C adventure i had alot of failure to boot etc etc. So i had my missus make spread sheet of all results, all settings etc etc and have ended up at this point:

BCLK 180

cpu x 23

mem x10

giving me cpu 4.14Ghz and mem at 1.8Ghz. The system seems stable under prime 95, intel burn and everything else I have tried. cpu cores not exceeding 80 deg c and all volts below manufacturers maximums. However my benchmark results fail to thrill me.

I am only overclocking simply because its there. I game a bit but nothing that is really stressing my machine. However this is my everyday comp. So for long term, sustained use is my current over clock level ok? will it reduce the life span of the cpu or anything else?

My second question is about benchmarking. What are ppl using, what do ya'll recommend. Preferably something I can compare too etc. I am more intresed in general perfomance than cpu or graphics specific.

Thirdly what would ya'll single out as the bottle neck in my system, hardware wise? I am looking at ram, is that where I'll make the biggest gains for the least coin? I know my aims are very vague sorry, but I just wanna make some pretty numbers etc lol

If you need a more detailed account of bios settings (volts, multipliers etc etc) pls ask. my missus isn't about atm so I can't pinch em from the spread sheet but can go get em from bios if it helps. On that note is there an easy way to copy your exact bios settings to txt file or similar?

I understand that benchmarking is realy aimed at you changing settings and see what your results are etc however I just want an idea of what ball park I am in compared to othes ;)

Thank for any help

-Andrew-

to know how safe it is we kinda need to now what v it is running but as long as its under 1.4v it should be fine

biggest benchmark gains for your $ in a 3d benchmark or games will come from upgrading the gpu which isnt cheap

changing the ram isnt likely to do anything maybe a few points in superpi if it can run higher clocks with tight timings

i7 950 at 4ghz will be using a lot more power than current cpu but its still nice and quick so there wont be huge gains from upgrading it and that would be expensive to

here is some threads with some benchmarks you can run

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=41178

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=292