bowlen

iPhone 5!

So Apple have just announced their new iPhone 5 which to me looks pretty damn cool. I have been waiting for this to come out and have already made the decision that I will be getting it as soon as I can.

What are your thoughts on it? I haven't had a big look at the technical specs just yet, but it is looking pretty cool.

iPhone 5

Just waiting for Telstra to get their act together and show some plans and I will be 'pre-ordering' asap

I'm stuck on a Telstra plan (long story) so I'll be buying outright and chucking my SIM into the new iPhone.

I quite like the design, the black one looks so slick.

I wonder how well my many dock connector devices will work with the adapter, or whether I'll bother using them anymore. AirPlay > Dock connector for most applications I use it for.

Pretty set on the 32GB model, my iPhone 4 is a 32GB model and it's served me wel, though i could go to 64GB and have room for lossless tracks...

I believe they are using a new 'nano sim' instead of the usual 'micro sim' which the current iPhone uses meaning you will have to pick yourself up a new sim card to make it work?

I think I am going to go for the 64gb this time! And definitely black! It looks pretty mint

So Apple have just announced their new iPhone 5 which to me looks pretty damn cool. I have been waiting for this to come out and have already made the decision that I will be getting it as soon as I can.

What are your thoughts on it? I haven't had a big look at the technical specs just yet, but it is looking pretty cool.

iPhone 5

Just waiting for Telstra to get their act together and show some plans and I will be 'pre-ordering' asap

My thoughts on it:

Wow, nothing would make me buy it.

I bought a 3GS when they came out and used it for the length of the contract (2 years-ish). At the end of the 2.5 years I had it, the phone was pristine, but the battery had burst (I took it apart you can see the bulge forcing the circuit board up), so I couldn't even replace the battery and use it as an iPod.

I was also sick of the screen size (small) and resolution (poor)

Looked at the 4/4S and didn't buy it.......why, you ask? for the following reasons:

1. It didn't seem any bigger than the 3GS

2. I use my phone for surfing the web, checking my email and IM, also ebay/purchases/taking the odd snapshot and listening to the odd tune....... Just about any phone would do these few things.

3. It did have better battery life, but once again, if the battery was faulty and I was out of warranty........I couldn't replace it.

4. Siri didn't interest me. I just couldn't see the point of it. I can search the internet with my fingers and besides, I am looking at the screen anyway as I need the visual information more than the aural information.

To avoid a 24 month plan - I decided I was buying outright........an outright iPhone (for my above criteria) was an outright rip-off. Plus I was sick of the inconvenience of iTunes. I am a drag and drop kind of guy.

After looking around for a while I went with the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. It did all of the above things and I paid about 500 bucks.

- The OS is supported by google, so for me it was just like an iPhone (I get my OS directly from the designer, who had the phone built to showcase the OS [iCS, now JellyBean post update])

- I can surf the net, listen to music, IM, make phone calls, take photos (yes I know the camera is not as good, but for 'good' photos I have a Leica M9 + Lenses), check email, plus it's drag and drop hence......no iTunes requirement

- The battery lasts me about 2 days, plus if the battery has issues I buy another for 20 bucks, bang it in and I am good to go.

so: iPhone 5.

If you follow the criteria above why would I 'upgrade'?

It's not necessarily any better than the phone I currently have.

- I don't need a super duper new processor with tonnes of grunt (I am not encoding video, I am surfing the net)

- I don't need a super duper graphics chip, I don't play games on my phone

- The screen is (I think) not actually any better than the one I have (resolution wise), I could be wrong though......mine is 1280*720 with 316 pixels per inch and the apple goes 1136*640 with 326 pixels per inch on a 4" display not a massive difference (for me)

- I take photos rarely with my phone (as above, my Leica M9 + Leica glass will kick the shit out of any phone)

- Yes it's probably thinner than my current phone, but the size of the nexus doesn't bother me now, so that's a non argument

- I don't like iTunes and I don't really buy apps willy nilly so those don't count either

- If I bought it, I still couldn't replace the battery myself

There's just no reason for me to get it. So it's a non event for me. It's probably not really worth it for you either. Its a whole lot of cash for not that much phone.

Please note: I am neither an apple nor PC 'fanboi'. I have both types of computers (mac book pro + multiple PCs), have an iPod + Touch + iPad (iPad and Touch is wifey's) and to round it out a moto xoom (which I bought second hand from Takoma).

Those are my thoughts.

EDIT: Typo's

Edited by gun_sl1nger

I wonder if apple will ever make a new phone design?

This looks the same as it did in 2007 and still uses the same OS design as 2007.

It's barely a step above advanced feature phones now.

For all the fuss, it doesn't really seem much different to 4/4s to me. The 5 is what the 4s should have been.

Edited by Jeruselem

Why gun_sl1nger isn't getting an iPhone 5

They're all perfectly valid reasons, I couldn't really argue with you.

Personally, I found the Retina display on the iPhone 4 enough of an upgrade to convince me to upgrade from a 3G to a 4. It just made text on web pages so much easier to read, especially where websites aren't properly mobile formatted. Saved me having to zoom in a lot of the time.

I've had my iPhone 4 for just over 2 years. It's still a very capable phone and I am sure I could keep using it for another year at least before feeling like I *need* to get something new. However, I am still going to be buying an iPhone 5 on launch day. Call me materialistic or an iDrone or whatever, I just feel like a new phone, and have been looking forward to getting the new features like Siri and a faster CPU for a little while. The extra screen real estate should be great for games and general web pages I figure.

So yeah, I don't need to upgrade, but I want to. And that is okay.

Design-wise it hasn't changed much since iphone 4 aesthetically although it's significantly better coming from iphone 3g imo. Just another chain in evolution I guess.

Design-wise it hasn't changed much since iphone 4 aesthetically although it's significantly better coming from iphone 3g imo. Just another chain in evolution I guess.

If it ain't broke etc.

I'm liking that the rear panel is not glass any more. As pretty as it was, it wasn't as durable as aluminium.

If it ain't broke etc.

I'm liking that the rear panel is not glass any more. As pretty as it was, it wasn't as durable as aluminium.

Jerry Seinfeld: If You Have An iPhone Case, Why Don’t You Wear A Helmet?

I can see where he is coming from but at the same time I couldn't help but think you may as well bungee jump without a rope. Anyways I prefer my 4s without the case although the glass makes it impractical without protection, the iphone 5 however is a step in the right direction in that respect. Plus I like the headphone jack at the bottom also.

Looked pretty, Meh, to me. Iphone 4 was a very nice phone and no doubt the Iphone 5 will also be a very nice phone, but at the end of the day it's just a more refined Iphone 4. Nothing ground breaking and not deserving of all the hype surrounding it. If i owned an Iphone 4 i'd skip the 5 and wait for 6 :). For thodse coming from an older Iphone that want to stay with Apple it would be a nice upgrade.

As for me: No SD-Card slot is a big minus. I think i'm going to grab a Galaxy SIII after all.

Edited by smakme7757

If you were following the rumours, there were no surprises with today's announcement.

No doubt, it's a solid upgrade, and arguably the biggest change in design since the original iPhone. However, there's not a lot of innovation with the iPhone 5. If anything, it's playing catch up with features other manufacturers have been implementing for a year or more. In typical Apple style, everything has been executed well (i.e. LTE, but without the battery life hit), but there's no new killer feature that sends shockwaves through the industry - nothing that competes with the likes of Siri (even if it's relatively useless to me), a retina display or the original iPhone. It's the equivalent of a 3GS announcement in a year when to stay ahead of the industry Apple really needed to have produced something like the step between the 3GS and the 4.

2 subtle things would have completed the package in opinion. A magsafe adaptor instead of this new 'lighting' one. All the convenience of wireless charging without the overhead or complexity, and something that would have tied the laptop and mobile lines together nicely. It just seems to be an obvious feature to include if you're going to destroy the existing eco-system by changing the adaptor format. NFC with the ability to make payments via your iTunes credit card or pre-paid cards. This is something Apple are in a better place than any other company to implement, and would have made sense given the level of infrastructure now available. Even if the hardware was included, but the software was delayed 6 months, it would have future-proofed the phone for me.

My iPhone 4 is getting a little long in the tooth. I'd like something a little faster, with a better camera and a bigger screen. The iPhone 5 ticks all these boxes, but so does the Lumina 920 which has the added advantage of NFC (though it's relatively featureless with the current implementation) a bigger screen that would work well with my big hands and the convenience of wireless charging. I like the idea of being able to dump my phone in onto my keys/wallet/loose change table and have it charge, but I guess this isn't quite a necessity. My biggest points of consideration are Nokia's (recently) shaky foundations, and my investment in the Apple ecosystem. More important than the apps I have is my new reliance on iCloud to sync calendars, messages, documents and notes.

I'm tempted to make do for another year, in the hopes that the iPhone 5s/6 will be have that killer feature that makes all other phones on the market feel lacking...

I have no real need for a nice phone. I just wish my iTouch 4 could do 3G or there was free wifi everywhere, I would be more than set with that. So my piece of shit flip phone will stay in my pocket for the odd text and rare incoming call, and rudimentary Facebook (that's free!) and email checking. My iPod is great for everything if I have wifi access.

If these fancy phones were cheaper I could see myself getting one, but paying a thousand dollars for a phone is fucking ridiculous. And paying for it for 2 years is not a pleasant option either. I try to have as few ongoing costs as possible to worry about.

I just wish my iTouch 4 could do 3G or there was free wifi everywhere, I would be more than set with that.

http://www.peel520.net/

Will cost you about $100, and the implementation isn't flawless for calls, but you can buy a case which will pretty much turn it into an iPhone.

I just wish my iTouch 4 could do 3G or there was free wifi everywhere, I would be more than set with that.

http://www.peel520.net/

Will cost you about $100, and the implementation isn't flawless for calls, but you can buy a case which will pretty much turn it into an iPhone.

Well that... is freaking awesome. Does it need to be jailbroken? And it says GPRS internet, I have no idea if that's my existing phone does. And my phone is NextG which I've heard uses different frequencies to other carriers or whatever...

Well that... is freaking awesome. Does it need to be jailbroken? And it says GPRS internet, I have no idea if that's my existing phone does. And my phone is NextG which I've heard uses different frequencies to other carriers or whatever...

Yeah, it has to be jail broken, but it's an easy process and doesn't interfere with the working of the device (i.e. you can still use the App store for legitimate content if you want to). The site I linked is only GPRS (2G) data, so it would be a bit slow, but I'm pretty sure I've seen 3G version available as well. Googling 3G Peel come up with a nice ZTE option, but I couldn't find a site that sells them directly in my 2 minutes of searching.

The other option would be a MIFI device, which are cheap and pretty ubiquitous these days.

Telstra have just started advertising that they are going to have the iPhone 5 and you can register your interest. They haven't released any pricing information though.

I've been listening to people going "i can't wait for the iphone 5" etc since before the 4S release, almost like everyone expected the 5 to be the biggest innovation since the wheel.

I must say, given the hype.

I'm pretty fucking disappointed. I expected a lot more than just upgrading what they already had.

I think the iPhone 5 is complete rubbish. It's as if they didn't even try to compete with the current Samsung offerings. I can't wait until my contract ends and I can get rid of my 4S. My eyes have been opened and I have seen the light (Android).

Regarding Itouch4, I use a Vodafone wifi modem for our wifi iPad when we are in the car, tiny little thing and I can provide hotspotage to others if required. Charges via USB and good battery life too.