bowlen

iPhone 5!

Map software is hardly just an "app" especially when it is built into the phone.

Not sure what your point is but apps and softwares are technically the same regardless of whether it's native to the os or not.

Also the phones hardware quality is questionable at best, seems many are getting pre scratched phones, Yay!

I can agree with this, The aluminium backing does seem rather delicate and easily scratched.

Apple didn't tell users they replaced Google Maps with their own until they got the iOS6. No mention of it before release.

Apple didn't tell users they replaced Google Maps with their own until they got the iOS6. No mention of it before release.

Yeah it was first mentioned when they first announced iOS6

Edited by bowlen

Yeah it was first mentioned when they first announced iOS6

Not only was it part of the announcement for iOS6, and pretty much every press release involving iOS 6, it's also clearly indicated in the pop-up that users have to agree to before iOS 6 can be downloaded. You'd have to be willfully ignorant or illiterate to miss it.

Setup a few today at work. Really nice device. Good screen, its light love the brushed back. I dont like IOS but its just me.

Just had mine activated then - been using it for about 30 minutes and its pretty damn good! Apple have done it again!

Actually I'd be interest in testing out the new iPhone5 headphones.

I got my iPhone on Friday, and have given the EarPods a quick test.

Impressions

- Much much bassier than old headphones

- Reasonable sound (especially given the price)

- Appear to not leak as badly as the old phones, so hopefully over time there will be fewer and fewer people broadcasting their music to all those around them

- They insert in my ear at least pretty well, but don't feel like they'd stay put during much intense activity.

I'll keep using my aJays Fours until they die I think, but the EarPods will make a very nice spare set.

Re: the iPhone 5

I am very happy with mine. The speed boost going from a 4 to a 5 is quite noticable. Everything is just much snappier, and the 4 was no slouch either.

I like the aluminium back, I don't feel like I have to baby it so much. Watching a drop test video, it appears much more durable than the old glass back. It'll dent but not shatter.

The camera is really nice, and the HD FaceTime camera is great too. If not maybe too good, people can see every detail of my prickly stubbley face :P

So yeah, I'm very happy with mine.

EDIT

Oh, and one other thing. Google have yet to release a standalone YouTube app for iPad (though the clunky web app still works).

A fantastic alternative I've found is called Jasmine. It's Universal (iPhone/iPad) and I honestly find it much more pleasant than Google's YT app and the webapp.

It lets you select the quality it streams which is great, compared to Google's app which seems to just go for the highest quality even when you're on a slow connection.

Jasmine is a beautiful app too, and made by an Aussie to boot!

It's also free.

Edited by ninjacatfish

Hang on - I downloaded a YouTube app from Google today and it works really well - at least for what I have used it for so far.

Did you try any of the other keyboards you can get via the Play store? Swiftkey is rather awesome, and arguably the best software keyboard available on any smartphone.

That's what people keep saying. I honest to god don't find it to be the case (personally). It's better than the crap that comes with Samsung products but if I had to choose between iOS's offerings and swiftkey, it would be iOS every time.

I find it better. But why the fuck should I have to download a third party application just so as a basic function of my smartphone works. It's ridiculous. I've tried and tried and really tried to dig my Android. It keeps getting relegated in favour of my iPhone.

Is it just me or are there no cases for the iPhone 5 yet?

I don't really want to have to go into a shop to get one - yet Apple aren't advertising any on their site.

JB have a few cases, but not much variety.

I ordered through Virgin, would've gotten it today but I pulled the pin. When they called me to confirm my order, I couldn't hear them because of the shitty reception. Had a think about it and cancelled it.

Now to join the huge waitlist for telstra :)

Hang on - I downloaded a YouTube app from Google today and it works really well - at least for what I have used it for so far.

For iPhone? Yesterday at least, there wasn't a native iPad app for YouTube from Google, might be different today.

Not saying Google's doesn't work well, it's better than the old stock YouTube app to be sure. I just find that Jasmine is even better.

For iPhone? Yesterday at least, there wasn't a native iPad app for YouTube from Google, might be different today.

Not saying Google's doesn't work well, it's better than the old stock YouTube app to be sure. I just find that Jasmine is even better.

yeah for iPhone

I find it better. But why the fuck should I have to download a third party application just so as a basic function of my smartphone works. It's ridiculous. I've tried and tried and really tried to dig my Android. It keeps getting relegated in favour of my iPhone.

It's bloody Samsung. They pull out the good bits of Android and replace them with their shitty mc shit shit version which looks and acts like arse. For this reason I only ever recommend Nexus branded devices. Everything else is a shitty clone IMO. It'd be like recommending an ePhone 69 from China and trying to pass it off as an iOS device.

It's bloody Samsung. They pull out the good bits of Android and replace them with their shitty mc shit shit version which looks and acts like arse. For this reason I only ever recommend Nexus branded devices. Everything else is a shitty clone IMO. It'd be like recommending an ePhone 69 from China and trying to pass it off as an iOS device.

But the Galaxy SIII is built for humans!

Did you try any of the other keyboards you can get via the Play store? Swiftkey is rather awesome, and arguably the best software keyboard available on any smartphone.

That's what people keep saying. I honest to god don't find it to be the case (personally). It's better than the crap that comes with Samsung products but if I had to choose between iOS's offerings and swiftkey, it would be iOS every time.

To me the whole point of android is that you get functionality out of the box, but if there are things about it you don't like you have the option to to change it to suit your needs better. You can build your phone to be efficient in what you want to do with it but it also has a vanilla flavour that will be fine for a lot of people.

Still harping on about the keyboard, not it's not fine for the majority of people. Sure, the majority of people put up with it, but I have seen countless people switch between iPhone and Android and it's a resounding amount of people who prefer the iPhone keyboard.

So I had to pay four bucks for a better experience.

They keyboard is a fundamental part of a smartphone.

That functionality is not there out of the box.

I've got a Nexus 7 tablet, but I haven't really used it enough to form an opinion. However, given the screen real estate, the keyboard is obviously larger so may not present such problems.

I will see.

I have tested out the new earpods or whatever they are called and they are pretty good. They look very unconventional and looks like they are going in backwards when you put them in your ears, but the sound it delivers is amazing! Lots of bass and far superior to the old Apple Earphones

I have tested out the new earpods or whatever they are called and they are pretty good. They look very unconventional and looks like they are going in backwards when you put them in your ears, but the sound it delivers is amazing! Lots of bass and far superior to the old Apple Earphones

But still horrendous compared to any $40 pair of buds. Good for all the shitty dance music people listen to now.