bowlen

iPhone 5!

Luckily I haven't noticed this happening to me, but I have seen a bunch of dudes on MacTalk saying they're affected. Sucks.

Replying to a post from page 1. Deal with it.

- I don't need a super duper new processor with tonnes of grunt (I am not encoding video, I am surfing the net)

- I don't need a super duper graphics chip, I don't play games on my phone

These are the reasons many nerds gush over Android phones. Thank you for illustrating that they don't need to be defining factors of what makes a smartphone "good".

- I take photos rarely with my phone (as above, my Leica M9 + Leica glass will kick the shit out of any phone)

It's a big disingenuous to say you don't need a camera in your phone because you own a good camera. Loads of people own good cameras, but they don't take them everywhere (as opposed to their phones ;)

Essentially, I understand the comparison, but I think it's moot.

- I don't like iTunes and I don't really buy apps willy nilly so those don't count either

iOS 5 removed the necessity for iTunes, or any kind of computer at all. There are lightweight alternatives if all you want to do is load music on to the device, or you can purchase+download from ITMS directly on the device.

But you don't need iTunes to activate the phone any more, which is great.

Please note: I am neither an apple nor PC 'fanboi'. I have both types of computers (mac book pro + multiple PCs), have an iPod + Touch + iPad (iPad and Touch is wifey's) and to round it out a moto xoom (which I bought second hand from Takoma).

Testify! There's nothing quite like a good heterogeneous home environment to keep things interesting.

Replying to a post from page 1. Deal with it.

- I don't need a super duper new processor with tonnes of grunt (I am not encoding video, I am surfing the net)

- I don't need a super duper graphics chip, I don't play games on my phone

These are the reasons many nerds gush over Android phones. Thank you for illustrating that they don't need to be defining factors of what makes a smartphone "good".

I imagine if there were iOS clones out there, it'd be more of an issue in the Apple sphere as a point of differentiation : p

I imagine if there were iOS clones out there, it'd be more of an issue in the Apple sphere as a point of differentiation : p

It's still a point of differentiation, as you can buy older Apple phones (either new, refurbished or second hand).

However if there were a lot of iOS clones released on sub-par hardware, then it definitely would be more of an issue.

I have noticed that LTE absolutely owns my battery life. I'll go to one of my jobs in the city with like 70% battery, it hits LTE and by the end of an 8 hour shift, it is on 20%

Hey guys, interesting wifi issues with iOS6

http://www.zdnet.com/a-new-apple-ios-wi-fi...xed-7000005134/

On a slightly different note, my brother just got his iPhone5 yesterday and after joining a wifi network, he has network access for about 10 seconds before it stops responding. He tried about every method known to man last night - changing wifi router settings (some people having similar issues said dropping back to WEP fixed it - he has a current Airport Extreme), reinstalling the phone from scratch (not from a backup), enabling and disabling various settings but the length of time could last for 5 mins to 10 seconds.

He is taking it to Doncaster today in the hope they will be able to swap it as it's currently unusable on wifi.

I had an issue with excessive battery drain as some people have after doing a restore from their iPhone 4S backup but a "reset all settings" settled that down.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but battery life was... not *as* good as my 4 after upgrading to 5.

After doing a 'Reset all Settings' and a full discharge/recharge, things are fantastic.

I have Bluetooth, LTE etc always on, and I'm getting better life than I ever did with my iPhone 4!

I had an issue with excessive battery drain as some people have after doing a restore from their iPhone 4S backup but a "reset all settings" settled that down.

I had that and did the same, now I have respectable battery life. All in all I'm happy with the new device despite the fact that it feels like a wet bar of soap eager to slip out of my grasp. Perhaps it will get better as I scratch it up.

Same here, a Belkin View Case. To be honest I find it easier to grip than the old glass, but I still don't trust myself enough to go case-less :P

Wife's new (purchased at release) phone developed an issue on the weekend where it keeps buzzing as if its fully charged every 2 mins after plugging the charger in. its bloody annoying :( Gonna go in to telstra this weekend to see what we can do.

Edited by martyr

Sounds like unhappy Foxconn employees making iPhone5s are adding extra features for you ...

Wife's new (purchased at release) phone developed an issue on the weekend where it keeps buzzing as if its fully charged every 2 mins after plugging the charger in. its bloody annoying :( Gonna go in to telstra this weekend to see what we can do.

Buys new iphone 5 still stuck with Q6600

To be honest i wasnt really looking foward to getting iphone 5 and still not interested due to the fact that upgrade from 4S isnt that great.

Yea sure it has a bigger screen and a neat design nevertheless if you have money or not i wouldnt recommend this iphone for 4S users. Just a complete waste of money.

Some will agree others wont just my say on this though surely you can keep your phone till the iphone 6 as rumored to be released this summer or even earlier.

There is talk that Apple is wanting to decrease the gap between product releases (currently around a year). With the estimated release time of the 5S to be June/July, it is going to get ridiculous.

When you pick up a new phone, it would be nice to know that it is going to be the latest and greatest for at least a year. I don't really like the idea of signing onto a 2 year contract to get a phone worth $1000 and then having it out dated (or at least superseded) 6-9 months later.

Apparently Apple had cut down component orders because of reduced demand for iPhone 5 due to Samsung cutting into their market share.

Apparently Apple had cut down component orders because of reduced demand for iPhone 5 due to Samsung cutting into their market share.

Afraid not.

First of all, it was components that are used for more than the iPhone 5.

Secondly, the numbers didn't stack up.

It's been pretty thoroughly debunked.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/16/iphone...ge-to-maintain/

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/23/tim-co...n-order-rumors/