Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Mr.Twinkie

Apple Unveils their Next Generation of Goodies

IMO, the preferred solution would have been microUSB3, if USB3 by default had connectors that could be plugged in either way. True, USB can only be plugged in one way, and microUSB helps by giving shaped connectors, but they're tiny and fiddly and people have better things to do with that few seconds every time they go to plug a device in.

All my Micro USB cables have the USB icon printed on the top side up to make it ultra obvious.

It's obvious for most of us geeks, but I think Apple's decision is geared towards people who aren't so tech savvy (in addition to being part of their business model for accessories). It's a simplification that I know would benefit a few of my friends, and definitely my parents.

I would have liked to have seen a magsafe connector, but thinking about it over the last few days, I've realised it would have been too large, and the benefits for small devices such as iPhones and iPods would have been insignificant.

Having done some more reading, the nicest parts of the new iphone seem to be in iOS6, rather than the hardware itself. Which is kind of awesome, but also a similar feeling to Android.

Kind of how it should be, I guess.

Having done some more reading, the nicest parts of the new iphone seem to be in iOS6, rather than the hardware itself. Which is kind of awesome, but also a similar feeling to Android.

Kind of how it should be, I guess.

Well, one could put iOS6 on the 4/4s instead of spending $500-1000 in the iPhone5.

Edited by Jeruselem

Considering how much generally passes through the current 30pin connector - it's not just charging and data transfer - I would expect there would be some limitation to having micro USB.

Consider the Samsung galaxy Tab 7.7 - it has a virtually identical plug to the iPhone. It serves as charging, syncing as well as passing audio and hi def video.

Considering how much generally passes through the current 30pin connector - it's not just charging and data transfer - I would expect there would be some limitation to having micro USB.

Consider the Samsung galaxy Tab 7.7 - it has a virtually identical plug to the iPhone. It serves as charging, syncing as well as passing audio and hi def video.

I thought I had read about this being solved - a little Bing-fu and:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_High-Definition_Link

For the click-impaired:

MHL = HD video and sound link standard, similar to HDMI, as a plug-agnostic standard but typically applied to a smartphone's microUSB socket.

Standard 5-pin microUSB can be used for MHL just fine. On the SGS3, Samsung enhanced it with an 11-pin version that fits into the same physical connector (so you can charge/transfer using a standard microUSB cable and access extra features using Samsung's special cable).

Apple could easily have gone down this route, finally meaning just about all smartphones can at least charge and sync to your PC with a single cable standard, without losing any functionality. Yes, Apple should serve its shareholders and make money - but this case hurts its reputation for prioritising the UX.

It appears that the Lightning connector is currently only supportting USB2.0, simply because the NAND memory inside the iPhone 5 wouldn't allow for transfer speeds that would saturate USB2.0 anyway.

Those with a keen eye will notice that USB 3 needs 9 pins (one ground), and that the new Lightning connector has 8 pins, however the metal surrounding the pins is actually it's ground. Not confirmed or anything, but it appears that it could be USB3 capable without changing the cable again in the future.

Apple would probably have designed this with a 10 year lifespan similar to the 30-pin dock connector of old, so it would make sense that it's got the capability to make use of USB3 and similar technologies when they would be actually useful to connected devices.

For the click-impaired:

MHL = HD video and sound link standard, similar to HDMI, as a plug-agnostic standard but typically applied to a smartphone's microUSB socket.

Standard 5-pin microUSB can be used for MHL just fine. On the SGS3, Samsung enhanced it with an 11-pin version that fits into the same physical connector (so you can charge/transfer using a standard microUSB cable and access extra features using Samsung's special cable).

Apple could easily have gone down this route, finally meaning just about all smartphones can at least charge and sync to your PC with a single cable standard, without losing any functionality. Yes, Apple should serve its shareholders and make money - but this case hurts its reputation for prioritising the UX.

So Samsung offer the option of using a standard cable, and their cable which looks exactly like the standard cable?

For right or wrong, Apple's design ethos of keeping it as simple as possible would likely be the reason they wouldn't have gone down that track. While you and I get it, there are countless consumers where this would be confusing.

While the lack of a standard interface may be a con to some, I have to say the updates to the OS are a bonus. On the day of release, iOS6 is available to the 3GS and up as well as the iPad2 and up. While some features aren't available on the older phones, it does give iPhone 5 adopters some comfort that their purchase isn't going to be forgotten in 12 months time.

For the click-impaired:

So Samsung offer the option of using a standard cable, and their cable which looks exactly like the standard cable?

For right or wrong, Apple's design ethos of keeping it as simple as possible would likely be the reason they wouldn't have gone down that track. While you and I get it, there are countless consumers where this would be confusing.

While the lack of a standard interface may be a con to some, I have to say the updates to the OS are a bonus. On the day of release, iOS6 is available to the 3GS and up as well as the iPad2 and up. While some features aren't available on the older phones, it does give iPhone 5 adopters some comfort that their purchase isn't going to be forgotten in 12 months time.

I agree totally re iOS6 - love Apple's support of their older devices (yet another benefit of having a very limited range. Pay heed, Nokia!!).

The key difference between the Samsung and Apple approach is that while you can only access MHL with Samsung's special cable, charging and syncing (i.e. 95% of users, 95% of the time) will be available with any microUSB cable - whether it came with your old Sony Ericsson, portable HDD, MP3 player or novelty USB toy.

No reason Apple couldn't kit iPhone with a more sophisticated socket (as Samsung did) to enable more advanced functions. All users need to know is that you need an official Apple USB cable or licensed dock if they want those advanced functions. Macolytes are already well-trained in the ways of brand loyalty, so this isn't a big ask IMHO. :D

But at least they'll be able to recharge their iPhone 7 with a cable that's almost as ubiquitous as USB itself and feel smug about having a product at home that can do more, by virtue of it being an Apple product.

Given the number of people I know who are completely hopeless at charging their phones, I would imagine they would be in near constant use.

I have to recharge my HTC once a day since I really do use Wifi and play music a lot. If I don't then maybe a few days without recharge if I don't make or get too many long phone calls. The data connection is disabled most of the time.

Edited by Jeruselem

My Nexus S lasts for only at the maximum of a day no matter what I do. (unless i plan to have no brightness on screen which increases it for an extra few hours)

Edited by Mr.Twinkie

I carry a portable USB battery powered charger. It will charge pretty much everything except the Galaxy Tab 7.7 which requires 2amps for some reason.

I can understand installing powered USB but to limit the connection to a 30pin apple plug sounds pretty silly.

I can understand installing powered USB but to limit the connection to a 30pin apple plug sounds pretty silly.

Agreed. Surely it'd make more sense to have a powered USB port that you can plug your own applicable cable into.