Sign in to follow this  
Guest xyzzy frobozz

Back page war gaming article

Guest xyzzy frobozz

I really enjoyed the entire issue this month, so it was a particular pleasure to get to the back page and find an article that mirrored my adolescence vis-a-vis Avalong Hill war games.

My father had a couple of them, Fortress Europa and Field Marshall (which, from memory, had Leslie Morshead on the lid). I remember we had a neighbour, Steve, who used to come around and play. They used to spend hours setting up, and dad would usually have routed him by about turn four or five in Fortress Europa. After a few more cans they'd usually decide that Crossbows and Catapults was a lot more fun....

Later I really got into Fortress Europa - well, I wanted to get into it. It was the combination of my fascination with all things military, coupled with the deep complexity that I found so compelling. Unfortunately, there's very few thirteen or fourteen year olds who are into complexity and hours of set-up especially when yous is the only house in the neighbourhood with the more immediate allure of different electronic entertainment devices! I did manage to get a few games of Divine Right happening towards the end of high school, which was immensely rewarding.

But yeah, very few chances to scratch that itch. In fact, I never got to actually play Fortress Europa with a real, living, breathing human being, although dad did once give me a hiding at Field Marshall.

Then, for my birthday, dad bought me Conflict in Vietnam by that (sadly departed) greatest of studios, Microprose. I think he must have gotten sick of saying no to playing Fortress Europa. This has continued through to this day, through gems like Close Combat, Dawn of War (II), Europa Universalis and, of course, the Total War series.

It's great to read a very similar story to my own. It's a shame you didn't grow up in St. Clair!

Shame you didn't grow up in Bundaberg Xy.

They had a yank school teacher that had married a local and come over here. He started a wargaming club at one of the high schools and another at his home that we older gammers went along to.

Played plenty of those S & T games and minitures (25mm gradually changed to 15mm), boardgames and D&D when it came out.

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Atomic wargaming day? :P

If it's in Perth I'll be all over it!!!

;-)

Seems I'll have to wait yet more years to get that fix....

Guest xyzzy frobozz

Poor neglected Perth....

I'm a Sydney boy originally, so if I'm back on one of my semi-regular visits, perhaps we could try to tee something up.

Edited by xyzzy frobozz

Atomic wargaming day? :P

-_-

But the thread is still going in Community Events!