Sign in to follow this  
theblackwhale

New to Android. Quick battery drain!?

Hey guys, just picked up an LG Optimus 4x. I know it doesn't have the best battery life of the quad core phones but this is ridiculous. Been an iOS user and this is the first android phone so any diagnostic help would be amazing.

Currently after 25 minutes on battery from 100% -> 86% drop. Battery use details: Screen 32%; Cell Standby 29%; Wifi 23%

I'm thinking this is a bit of a steep drop! Currently connected only to 2G as having 3G on makes it drain even faster because it keeps losing connection and polling like there is no tomorrow (We're talking 30-40% of idle time with no signal if 3G is left on.)

Any advice in identifying apps/strategies to control of this or help in finding out if this is a faulty unit would be much appreciated. Thank you!

If you are in a bad area of phone reception your battery will get drained fast. This is just something that happens.

Also your battery might just be shit.

My phone has been off charge for 3h 47m

Battery is at 84% with 33% screen usage and 26% Cell Standby.

The phone has been connected to WiFi all morning and it doesn't even show up on the battery usage list, that's how little it's used.

This is on a Galaxy s3

My Galaxy s2 with heavy usage used to be flat by lunch time.

A lot of different firmware versions have different battery life, i know with my Galaxy S i've upgraded the firmware 4 times, 1 of those, the battery life absolutely sucked. one was ok, the others were excellent.

So. Upgrade or drop firmware, see if that works :)

A lot of different firmware versions have different battery life, i know with my Galaxy S i've upgraded the firmware 4 times, 1 of those, the battery life absolutely sucked. one was ok, the others were excellent.

So. Upgrade or drop firmware, see if that works :)

Also, make sure you don't have bluetooth and wifi, and gps and all that on all the time, as they really SUCK THE LIFE OUT OF YOUR PHONE SO BAD D: D:

Phone came out of the box yesterday Cyb3rGlitch.

Updated situation:

I am using the LG exactly the same way as the iPhone in that wifi, bluetooth, sync etc are all turned off until necessary. Given that I wasn't gaming or browsing on it at all I was really pissed at the battery decline. On XDA forums I found an app called Better Battery Stats. Installed it and found that the phone was being prevented from going into deep sleep for some reason. I uninstalled all the apps that I got to make my battery last longer and the numbers showed that the CPU was now entering deep sleep.

However, there are still times where the phone is being pulled up into higher CPU states. The culprit according to better battery stats is a kernel process called baseband_xmm_power and the amount of time it is active corresponds to difference in times between the phone being awake and awake with screen on. Going by the name I am inferring that this process could be responsible for controlling the power of the modem. Given that I know that I have a weak signal I think what's happening is that the threshold for increasing the modem power is being crossed often and ultimately this process is trying to do it's job and instituting a Wakelock to make sure it can do it's job without CPU going to sleep. Because it's happening a lot end result is a significant portion of time that the CPU is consuming power.

I am currently on LiveConnected and while this didn't pose a problem on the iPhone I think switching back to Telstra would help alleviate this final drain on my battery. There was a noticeable difference in Cell signal strength going from Telstra to LC even on the iPhone.

For those who are having similar battery woes, please look up this app in XDA developers (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809). I used the 1.9.2.1 apk as I found the latest one not to work.

Thank you for your help guys! Please post if you have anything to add or to comment on my understanding of the situation.

Well yeah, don't install battery saving apps, they're bullshit. Only thing you need to do to save power is ensure the backlight isn't always at 100%. Leaving Wi-Fi etc. on shouldn't pose too much of an issue.

Yep signal strength will kill the battery if you're in a dodgy area.

My ex's battery would last 6hrs at her place, or 2 days at mine.

I returned my first galaxy s2 because it was discharging too quickly then it shut down and wouldn't start.

The next one was fine, haven't had a problem with battery life, i normally charge it twice a week.