Ghost05

2003 Active Directory user template creation

Hey guys, a question about user creation in Windows Server 2003 Active Directory..

I have a user created in AD named Template. This has Home and Profile folders set to "//servername/home/%username%" and "//servername/Profile/%username%". I was told to do it like this so I could just right click on "Template" user, select copy and then just enter in credentials and it would automatically create the Home and Profile folders for the new user. It is not saving the '%username%' part from the settings and instead changes it to 'template'.

When I select 'Copy' on the template user, enter in the name and password for the new user and select finish it tells me "The Home folder was not created because it already exists". Looking at the properties of the new user that I just created and the Home/Profile folders are set to "//servername/Home/template" and "//servername/Profile/template"

How do I keep the '%username%' in the Template user so that I can just copy it and create a new user with their own Home and Profile folders?

Hope someone can help. I am just learning this and cannot find the right keywords in Google for the answer. They all tell me to create a Template user and to use //servername/Home/%username%, which I am doing exactly as told.

Thanks guys

Hey guys, a question about user creation in Windows Server 2003 Active Directory..

I have a user created in AD named Template. This has Home and Profile folders set to "//servername/home/%username%" and "//servername/Profile/%username%". I was told to do it like this so I could just right click on "Template" user, select copy and then just enter in credentials and it would automatically create the Home and Profile folders for the new user. It is not saving the '%username%' part from the settings and instead changes it to 'template'.

When I select 'Copy' on the template user, enter in the name and password for the new user and select finish it tells me "The Home folder was not created because it already exists". Looking at the properties of the new user that I just created and the Home/Profile folders are set to "//servername/Home/template" and "//servername/Profile/template"

How do I keep the '%username%' in the Template user so that I can just copy it and create a new user with their own Home and Profile folders?

Hope someone can help. I am just learning this and cannot find the right keywords in Google for the answer. They all tell me to create a Template user and to use //servername/Home/%username%, which I am doing exactly as told.

Thanks guys

That doesn't work. It has never worked in fact - even in AD in 2012.

This is because Microsoft evaluates the %username% bit when you click on OK/Save on the user and thus cannot copy with variable substitution for the new name.

The best way to do this is a simple powershell command that takes the name of the user and generates a profile directory and inserts it into the copied template.

There are plenty such scripts on the web.

Ok. I do understand why it is doing what it is doing, I just remember doing it the exact same way a couple of years ago when I was trying to study. I could create a template user with those home and profile settings and when you made a copy of it, all you had to do was enter the new user credentials and click OK and a new Home folder was created instantly. Then when you logged in with that new user a Profile folder was created instantly. All because the home and profile setting in the template user was set as %username%.

Maybe if I could exit out of the template user setting without clicking "OK" or "Apply". I don't know anything about Powershell. Maybe I should.

Thanks