xnatex

Islamist attack Sydney police over offensive youtube video

stuff

so my Muslim mate who says your very wrong in your understanding of what is in the quran is lying to me?

So i take the word of an atheist Russian Jew (i just like writing that out, it's hilarious) over my mate?

Stop being a child, read all 3 books, it isn't difficult.

Then you'll know what is what.

The difference between a militant Islamic and myself.

Cannot be reasoned with - Check

Sticks staunchly to viewpoint no matter how much evidence, common sense or rationality is brought to bear - Check

Completely intolerant - Check

Believes in conspiracy theories of Jews running the world - Check

Believes 911 was done by Jews - Check

Hmmmm

You're a much better fit. So I fixed it for you.

That would be great if I ever once indicated I believed that dem damn Jews were behind 9/11. ;)

The difference between a militant Islamic and myself.

Cannot be reasoned with - Check

Sticks staunchly to viewpoint no matter how much evidence, common sense or rationality is brought to bear - Check

Completely intolerant - Check

Believes in conspiracy theories of Jews running the world - Check

Believes 911 conspiracies of someone other than Arabs in planes - Check

Hmmmm

You're a much better fit. So I fixed it for you.

That would be great if I ever once indicated I believed that dem damn Jews were behind 9/11. ;)

My apologies. I've fixed it up.

Muslims simply didn't pay attention to the teachings as much. Now they do thanks to the strongest Weapon of Mass Destruction ever devised by man - religion, and in this case Islam.

um...huh?

11 An anothar monstar cumz form teh urf! Dis 1 can has too horn liek a lamb but soundz layk a dragn.12 An he haz teh powurz layk teh othar monstar. Ppl liek him 2.13 An he maeded Graet Wunderz: He r casting majik missel unto Urf. Scarey!14 An Evry1 wuz trixored. Letz maek a akshun film bcuz teh monstar iz strongar then Stevan Seegul.15 An Teh othar monstar maed evry1 watch teh film or he casted majik missil at tehm.16 An He maeded evry1 by it on vidio an dvd an teh speshun editiun. An maeded evry1 has markz on teh hed17 An U has a markz!! Or no moar cheezburgerz!18 Wisdom, I has it. Teh clevar ppl can do dis sum - wat iz 6 hundrad addad 3 tiemz twentey addad six. Taht is teh numbar of teh monstar!

IMO my thought is every single religious text is read out of context.

Interpret them as you will.

Edited by Xen

Haven't read the thread or anything, but far out, why do we continue to put up with this shit? I know we're supposed to be an accepting culture, but this is getting beyond ridiculous, I don't mind having many different cultures all over Australia, but when one culture/race start rioting over bullshit and injuring our officers, surely its time for some drastic measures.

Is it okay to feel like these people should be jailed/shipped overseas (depending on whether or not they have citizenship) in light of all this? Or am I just another racist aussie bogan for saying so? It really grinds my gears.

Edited by NukeJockey

stuff

so my Muslim mate who says your very wrong in your understanding of what is in the quran is lying to me?

So i take the word of an atheist Russian Jew (i just like writing that out, it's hilarious) over my mate?

Thats the funny thing and the main problem, most Muslims have a different interpretation of the Quran.

I dare say what your mate believes and what the dude who blew himself up to be a matyr believes both have very big differences in the interpretation

11 An anothar monstar cumz form teh urf! Dis 1 can has too horn liek a lamb but soundz layk a dragn.12 An he haz teh powurz layk teh othar monstar. Ppl liek him 2.13 An he maeded Graet Wunderz: He r casting majik missel unto Urf. Scarey!14 An Evry1 wuz trixored. Letz maek a akshun film bcuz teh monstar iz strongar then Stevan Seegul.15 An Teh othar monstar maed evry1 watch teh film or he casted majik missil at tehm.16 An He maeded evry1 by it on vidio an dvd an teh speshun editiun. An maeded evry1 has markz on teh hed17 An U has a markz!! Or no moar cheezburgerz!18 Wisdom, I has it. Teh clevar ppl can do dis sum - wat iz 6 hundrad addad 3 tiemz twentey addad six. Taht is teh numbar of teh monstar!

IMO my thought is every single religious text is read out of context.

Interpret them as you will.

As individuals, yes. As a black-letter reading, no.

The koran is like a system of law, new laws supersede the old. The Bible is like an unordered law library without any clue of which law supersedes another.

So funding Muslims rioting and calling for be headings are behaving perfectly Islamic and perfectly analogous to the wishes of their stupid prophet.

Haven't read the thread or anything, but far out, why do we continue to put up with this shit? I know we're supposed to be an accepting culture, but this is getting beyond ridiculous, I don't mind having many different cultures all over Australia, but when one culture/race start rioting over bullshit and injuring our officers, surely its time for some drastic measures.

Is it okay to feel like these people should be jailed/shipped overseas (depending on whether or not they have citizenship) in light of all this? Or am I just another racist aussie bogan for saying so? It really grinds my gears.

There is nothing wrong about thinking that people who commit crimes should be punished/held accountable.

The problem is when we decide that certain types of people should to be punished disproportionally (And I am talking generally here not about your words).

And this is what makes this thread alarming. People want the law to punish those they disapprove of more harshly. Which is not "okay".

stuff

Thats the funny thing and the main problem, most Muslims have a different interpretation of the Quran.

I dare say what your mate believes and what the dude who blew himself up to be a matyr believes both have very big differences in the interpretation

No. According to Leonid every member of a 1.6 Billion strong faith believes the same thing. That's why they are evil. "WMDs" in fact.

Of course Leonid is the best possible person to lecture us on the Quran. His personal spite and long time grudge towards Islam just enhances the accuracy of his unreferenced pontifications.

There is nothing wrong about thinking that people who commit crimes should be punished/held accountable.

The problem is when we decide that certain types of people should to be punished disproportionally (And I am talking generally here not about your words).

And this is what makes this thread alarming. People want the law to punish those they disapprove of more harshly. Which is not "okay".

stuff

No. According to Leonid every member of a 1.6 Billion strong faith believes the same thing. That's why they are evil. "WMDs" in fact.

Of course Leonid is the best possible person to lecture us on the Quran. His personal spite and long time grudge towards Islam just enhances the accuracy of his unreferenced pontifications.

Ok, then by all means, read what Sam Harris has to say: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2010...ero-mosque.html

Same thing I do.

If you had any principles, and I do mean any you would understand that the majority in Islam is far more radical and far less restive/peaceful than they were 30-50 years ago. And that this is a pretty big bloody problem in a very militant faith.

But you don't have any principles. To you they don't all believe the same thing, conveniently ignoring the fact that enough of them do to elect women-hating, homophobic Islamist terrorist governments.

Just give Arab Muslims a single chance at completely free elections and they all seem to elect the most illiberal, most Islamic, most angry, most radical, most homophobic, most sexist options available on the ballot.

Hamas, The Freedom & Justice Party (Muslim Brotherhood), Libyan International Interim Council, Ennahda, the Syrian Free Army and now whatever is about to happen in Yemen.

Let me know which of these parties represent your vision of peace and explain why the majority of peaceful Muslims in those countries voted for them.

2GB was present? Really?

Amazing.

Because no report actually placed them at the scene. Nor did they organise the event. Though they certainly incited it between the 5th and 9th of December 2005.

There are both photos of 2GB presence, and interviews with people down at the "rally". I don't know why you can't just accept 2GB is a lowest common denominator radio station that it is?

Nobody said you can.

My problem is that you seem to have absolutely no idea what actually went down in Cronulla.

It seems you've got more of a problem than that. Your defense to people beating up "wogs" was "well, most of them were wogs". I'm pretty much done trying to have a discussion with you at this point, as you don't ever really have a rebuttal based on fact, just say that I'm wrong. Despite me linking photos, news reports or otherwise supporting my claims of what the Cronulla riot was. Meanwhile you're "look at all of the children and grandparents in the photos" has turned up 0 results for me when I searched.

There's something that's not getting through to you: the Koran is the only ME religious book that prohibits interpretation of the book, explicitly.

Do you understand that?

The Bible was the same.

No it was not.

No it's not now, but it was.

Do you think it was written as a book open to interpretation (it wasn't even written as a whole book as you likely know)? The Bible was assembled as fact, from the word of God, his disciples and people who had a direct line of contact with God (apparently). Questioning the word of God is a death sentence.

Wrong on all counts except the assembling.

Care to elaborate? Again, you like saying "you're wrong", but never really add more to the discussion.

More open and accepting? Do I need to post photos from the 70s vs now again from Middle Eastern countries?

No you don't. Not only because there is no way of knowing where any of those photos are actually from. Because it's irrelevant to the topic. Do I need to post pictures from Australia in the 70's? There were Muslims here too.

Bury this hatchet you've got with the Middle East, we don't live there.

Bury your hatchet with America invading Middle Eastern countries. You don't live there.

What? I've mentioned it once to try and add some perspective to the argument. Trying to explain why perhaps some of these people are angry with America, and explain why their country is such a "shit hole" like you and others have branded them. You're the one who is constantly referencing the Middle East, I was merely trying to point out some of the other reasons the people living there may be angry with America.

Sure a lot of Muslims protest for varied reasons in the Western World, but it's their right to. Riots on the other hand are illegal, and extremely rare in the Western World, hence the backlash from last Saturday.

Very rare? Really?

Have you read any European news over the last three/four years?

Sure, there are Catholics and Protestants rallying quite a lot; Some Muslims... and the French in general seem to riot a bit. The point I was making (and you somehow miss it every time) is that there is nothing wrong with protesting something you disagree with. When it turns into a riot, there is an obvious problem. I think the Police did a good job on Saturday, no members of the public were harmed (that I've heard of anyway), the riot was shut down pretty quickly all things considered, and the Police managed contain the riot to a cordoned off area.

Again though, you love backing up your points about our local Muslim problem by referring to countries that aren't our own. Even if those countries are nothing at all like our own.

I'll leave it up to you to blame the actions of an entire race or group on their religion.

When I see Muslims acting in accordance with the Koran and beating up kafirs/infidels and defending Islam from being laughed at - I will too.

Good to know you judge many, by the actions of a few.

How long you going to keep calling them morons? We've been calling them morons for 30 years. In that time they've turned once-liberal countries into disgusting hell-holes of oppression and propaganda.

It's time to accept these guys have power, are listened to, and control vast amounts of people.

I was referring to the "Strayans" attending the "riot against rioting" riot on Sunday, but yes, the people on Saturday were morons too, obviously.

Those Muslims in Egypt who started the revolution... they too believed the vast majority were peaceful. Then the leftist was knocked out, then the center-rightist. It was then up to the Brotherhood and a mate of Mubarak's.

Then those majority of peaceful Muslims found that they were actually a tiny minority... and that the majority actually wanted a hardcore Islamic government.

Anything to say Hlass, do historical facts actually trigger whatever it is in your brain that moral relativism has suppressed for so long?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/islamic-...0920-267ra.html

"The organiser of a Muslim rally planned in Melbourne’s CBD for this weekend has cancelled the event amid concerns of violence, saying some of her friends had been racially abused and threatened.

Swaybah Javed said it was a 'shameful day for Australia' when it was impossible to carry out a peaceful protest in the city because 'Islamophobia has boiled over’'."

"However Victoria Police voiced concerns about the rally, following violent clashes between police and Muslim protesters in Sydney last weekend.

A text message, seen by The Age, this week urged violence worse than the Cronulla riots and called for Australians to 'battle for our rights and our land' to counteract the rally at the State Library."

What is sorely missing here is perspective.

Religion WAS government in the time it was written. There was no separation of church and state.

So it had to encompass not only philosophy and belief in a higher power, but agriculture, foreign policy and war.

It was essentially one book on how to do everything, not just a treatise on Imaginary friends.

Having said that you could make an argument that interpretation of the Quran leads some to violence because they cant extract the relavant-to-their-time passages.

However, you cant logically say that religion begets violence (which is an absolute favorite of the internet-atheist)

Because once state was separated, war became the sole domain of the state.

You could in fact argue that the worst wars occurred more often and with more far reaching devastation when Church was removed from state.

Do we in fact need that moral reminder?

You're not alone Nuke, I don't think there is a rational person in the country who could justify the actions of those who took part in the riot. Depending on past criminal convictions the men arrested will likely see some jail time.

Here's the case of one of the men arrested.

The thread is so long due to some people taking their frustration at the 100 people protesting, and aiming it at the entire populace of innocent Muslims in the city.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/islamic-...0920-267ra.html

"The organiser of a Muslim rally planned in Melbourne’s CBD for this weekend has cancelled the event amid concerns of violence, saying some of her friends had been racially abused and threatened.

Swaybah Javed said it was a 'shameful day for Australia' when it was impossible to carry out a peaceful protest in the city because 'Islamophobia has boiled over’'."

"However Victoria Police voiced concerns about the rally, following violent clashes between police and Muslim protesters in Sydney last weekend.

A text message, seen by The Age, this week urged violence worse than the Cronulla riots and called for Australians to 'battle for our rights and our land' to counteract the rally at the State Library."

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/853569...rally-cancelled

I had to re-read this quote a few times:

"She added that Sydney's riots were especially upsetting because "demonstrators were brutally attacked by the police for simply exercising their right to protest against racism"."

There are both photos of 2GB presence, and interviews with people down at the "rally". I don't know why you can't just accept 2GB is a lowest common denominator radio station that it is?

I've never listened to 2GB so I can't accept anything. I don't listen to AM radio.

In fact, the only time I've ever heard Alan Jones' voice is when he's been in news reports.

Secondly, 2GB was not down at the protest according to all the literature I've read - in fact ACMA blamed 2GB for incitement from the 5-9th of September, 2 days before the riots - not during - you claim that there are photos of 2GB presence: go ahead, post them.

It seems you've got more of a problem than that. Your defense to people beating up "wogs" was "well, most of them were wogs".

Wrong. You said that the guys down on that beach gathered to beat up wogs. This is false. They gathered to protest against lebs.

Half of them were wogs.

I'm pretty much done trying to have a discussion with you at this point, as you don't ever really have a rebuttal based on fact, just say that I'm wrong. Despite me linking photos, news reports or otherwise supporting my claims of what the Cronulla riot was. Meanwhile you're "look at all of the children and grandparents in the photos" has turned up 0 results for me when I searched.

I never mentioned grandparents. I mentioned families. They were there - had you watched TV at the time, you would have seen the protest.

Now, all you can find about the protest is it's aftermath. The violent component. Nobody is interested in what happened earlier because it's irrelevant to the final outcome which is much more sensational and news-worthy.

No it's not now, but it was [bible not supposed to be interpreted]

No it wasn't. As an example - in the 16th Century there was a decade where the Church in Rome married homosexual men because the priest interpreted love as being more important that gender.

Do you think it was written as a book open to interpretation (it wasn't even written as a whole book as you likely know)? The Bible was assembled as fact, from the word of God, his disciples and people who had a direct line of contact with God (apparently). Questioning the word of God is a death sentence.

Wrong on all counts except the assembling.

Care to elaborate? Again, you like saying "you're wrong", but never really add more to the discussion.

OK. "Disciples" are students/followers of Jesus Christ. Few of them had direct contact with God.

The Bible consists personal recollections from the apostles of Jesus, not of disciples as far as I'm aware. And off course from God.

Questioning the word of God is not a death sentence. Abraham did it. Then God himself allowed it by sending Jesus instead of smiting the unbelievers.

No you don't. Not only because there is no way of knowing where any of those photos are actually from.

Off course there are ways of knowing where they are from. The ones I showed you earlier are from Iran. Want to see Egypt?

Because it's irrelevant to the topic. Do I need to post pictures from Australia in the 70's? There were Muslims here too.

Sure there were. Did they riot and call for beheadings?

Fuck no.

Islam's grown more radical since then.

What? I've mentioned it once to try and add some perspective to the argument. Trying to explain why perhaps some of these people are angry with America, and explain why their country is such a "shit hole" like you and others have branded them. You're the one who is constantly referencing the Middle East, I was merely trying to point out some of the other reasons it's a messed up place.

You want me to stop giving reasons for why the ME is a shit hole, yet you want to keep providing reasons why the ME is a shithole?

Sure, there are Catholics and Protestants rallying quite a lot; Some Muslims... and the French in general seem to riot a bit. The point I was making (and you somehow miss it every time) is that there is nothing wrong with protesting something you disagree with. When it turns into a riot, there is an obvious problem. I think the Police did a good job on Saturday, no members of the public were harmed (that I've heard of anyway), the riot was shut down pretty quickly all things considered, and the Police managed contain the riot to a cordoned off area.

I don't miss it... I just don't see the point of even mentioning it since I agree with the right to protest.

What you claimed is that Muslims don't generally riot in the West. This is bullshit of the highest order. In the last three four years we've seen Muslim riots in England, France, Spain, Greece, etc.

Again though, you love backing up your points about our local Muslim problem by referring to countries that aren't our own. Even if those countries are nothing at all like our own.

You were the one that said that Muslims rioting in the West was rare. Now you're saying these countries are different to ours?

Goalpoast shift?

Good to know you judge many, by the actions of a few.

No, actually I judge the religion by how it's practised.

You could in fact argue that the worst wars occurred more often and with more far reaching devastation when Church was removed from state.

Crusades? Inquisition?

Frequency and severity of war has increased as a growing population is forced to share a static amount of planet.

It's hubris to suggest otherwise.

Don't know what's "moral" about it.

"She added that Sydney's riots were especially upsetting because "demonstrators were brutally attacked by the police for simply exercising their right to protest against racism"."

Yeah, it's a weird quote.

I'm hoping it's out of context, and was more along the lines of:

there were some protestors attacking the police, and what was especially upsetting was that some demonstrators were brutally attacked by the police for simply exercising their right to protest against racism

But who knows.

The problem is, even if the intention is to have a peaceful protest, all it takes is a (relatively) small but well organised group of extremists to turn it into a nightmare for police.

Let's face it, if you have 500 peaceful protestors, and 30 violent ones who blend in throwing bottles etc at police, it makes it very hard for the police to remove them without being injured.

What is sorely missing here is perspective.

Religion WAS government in the time it was written. There was no separation of church and state.

IE, Islam right now in too many countries for it to be the exception to the rule.

So it had to encompass not only philosophy and belief in a higher power, but agriculture, foreign policy and war.

It was essentially one book on how to do everything, not just a treatise on Imaginary friends.

Having said that you could make an argument that interpretation of the Quran leads some to violence because they cant extract the relavant-to-their-time passages.

Exactly

However, you cant logically say that religion begets violence (which is an absolute favorite of the internet-atheist)

Because once state was separated, war became the sole domain of the state.

You can say that about Islam. Islam is fused politically, culturally, economically and socially (encompassing religion) into the fabric of most Islamic societies. Yes, they've got borders and constitutions and money and anthems and stock exchanges, but all of these have been tweaked to work within Qu'aranic law.

Even the majority of "moderate" Malaysian Muslims disagree with the separation of Mosque and State: http://www.malaysia-today.net/mtcolumns/no...lam-is-politics

there were some protestors attacking the police, and what was especially upsetting was that some demonstrators were brutally attacked by the police for simply exercising their right to protest against racism

But who knows.

The problem is, even if the intention is to have a peaceful protest, all it takes is a (relatively) small but well organised group of extremists to turn it into a nightmare for police.

Let's face it, if you have 500 peaceful protestors, and 30 violent ones who blend in throwing bottles etc at police, it makes it very hard for the police to remove them without being injured.

Same, given it's on the ninemsn website it was probably distorted so far out of context that it's not funny.

You only ever notice the dickheads in a crowd be it 10 or 10000.

I've never listened to 2GB so I can't accept anything. I don't listen to AM radio.

In fact, the only time I've ever heard Alan Jones' voice is when he's been in news reports.

Secondly, 2GB was not down at the protest according to all the literature I've read - in fact ACMA blamed 2GB for incitement from the 5-9th of September, 2 days before the riots - not during - you claim that there are photos of 2GB presence: go ahead, post them.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?s...t&p=1032216

It seems you've got more of a problem than that. Your defense to people beating up "wogs" was "well, most of them were wogs".

Wrong. You said that the guys down on that beach gathered to beat up wogs. This is false. They gathered to protest against lebs.

Half of them were wogs.

Sorry, I was just quoting Alan Jones.

"Come to Cronulla this weekend to take revenge. This Sunday every Aussie in the Shire get down to North Cronulla to support the Leb and wog bashing day …"

Sounds like a family fun day. Better pack the car full of piss and head down with the kids eh? Nothing like watching your dad beat the shit out of the ethnics.

I never mentioned grandparents. I mentioned families. They were there - had you watched TV at the time, you would have seen the protest.

Now, all you can find about the protest is it's aftermath. The violent component. Nobody is interested in what happened earlier because it's irrelevant to the final outcome which is much more sensational and news-worthy.

Kind of like the protest on Saturday?

No it's not now, but it was [bible not supposed to be interpreted]

No it wasn't. As an example - in the 16th Century there was a decade where the Church in Rome married homosexual men because the priest interpreted love as being more important that gender.

Had nothing to do with Rome also being the San Francisco of the 16th century? Roman men bedded each other more often than they bathed.

I accept your point though, but I still would like to point out executions under blasphemy were carried out up until 1627 in Britain. Questioning the church, Bible or God was a dangerous thing to do for a very long time under Christianity.

OK. "Disciples" are students/followers of Jesus Christ. Few of them had direct contact with God.

The Bible consists personal recollections from the apostles of Jesus, not of disciples as far as I'm aware. And off course from God.

Questioning the word of God is not a death sentence. Abraham did it. Then God himself allowed it by sending Jesus instead of smiting the unbelievers.

Sure, Abraham did it, and Jesus was responsible for the New Testament. But what about anyone not mentioned in The Bible. Up until the 16th Century, questioning the word of God was blasphemy, and punishable by death in nearly every Christian / Catholic state.

Because it's irrelevant to the topic. Do I need to post pictures from Australia in the 70's? There were Muslims here too.

Islam's grown more radical since then.

It's probably true, but have Australian Muslims? I wouldn't think so. Given only 100 people fronted up for the protest in Sydney, and a large number of them being young men with a point to prove, i'd say there aren't too many extremists over here.

I don't miss it... I just don't see the point of even mentioning it since I agree with the right to protest.

What you claimed is that Muslims don't generally riot in the West. This is bullshit of the highest order. In the last three four years we've seen Muslim riots in England, France, Spain, Greece, etc.

We've also seen riots from many other regions and races. I'll admit the recent riots have been appalling, anyone would. But I don't think it gives you a free pass to chuck every "mussy" into one basket and write them all off.

But who knows.

Same, given it's on the ninemsn website it was probably distorted so far out of context that it's not funny.

You only ever notice the dickheads in a crowd be it 10 or 10000.

Unless they gather specifically to be dickheads like last Saturday, and what's being proposed for Melbourne as a "counter-riot"

Yeah they were there when it went into riot mode, like the rest of the media. You said they egged them on.

Photos?

Sorry, I was just quoting Alan Jones.

"Come to Cronulla this weekend to take revenge. This Sunday every Aussie in the Shire get down to North Cronulla to support the Leb and wog bashing day …"

Sounds like a family fun day. Better pack the car full of piss and head down with the kids eh? Nothing like watching your dad beat the shit out of the ethnics.

Is that something Alan Jones said or something he read out on the air from a third party?

Kind of like the protest on Saturday?

When the mother took a picture of her adorable son calling for beheading?

Had nothing to do with Rome also being the San Francisco of the 16th century? Roman men bedded each other more often than they bathed.

Maybe. Still - nobody got killed despite the Bible being the word of God.

I accept your point though, but I still would like to point out executions under blasphemy were carried out up until 1627 in Britain. Questioning the church, Bible or God was a dangerous thing to do for a very long time under Christianity.

Admittedly. So we agree that Islam is a little less than 400 years behind?

Sure, Abraham did it, and Jesus was responsible for the New Testament. But what about anyone not mentioned in The Bible. Up until the 16th Century, questioning the word of God was blasphemy, and punishable by death in nearly every Christian / Catholic state.

Yes. Because that's how they interpreted the Bible. Early Romans interpreted it differently.

It's probably true, but have Australian Muslims? I wouldn't think so.

Absolutely they have. Look at all the reports of second generation Muslims being more religious, radical and discontent than their migrant parents.

Given only 100 people fronted up for the protest in Sydney, and a large number of them being young men with a point to prove, i'd say there aren't too many extremists over here.

So lets close our eyes and not run a deep scan into what's going on?

We've also seen riots from many other regions and races. I'll admit the recent riots have been appalling, anyone would. But I don't think it gives you a free pass to chuck every "mussy" into one basket and write them all off.

Who's doing that?

So if this reprisal protest starts up this weekend, does anyone think it should be shut down quickly ? or left to escalate into violence before something is done?

Crusades? Inquisition?

Just an interesting point of order. In the Crusades, even though started by Christians for Christian purposes, the Muslim gave as good as they got.

The Inquisition (I'm assuming you're referring to the Spanish one) is ingrained in our Western psyche much like the Bastille being breached in France*. They are iconic times in our history.

However, just to put into context: over the 350 years of the Spanish inquisition, a maximum of 5000 people were executed.

Bad certainly, but not even close to the scale of religious violence we're seeing, for it to be a good comparison - I've pointed out before that just in the last 30 days, non-warzone casualties from Islamic violence exceeded 300 people - that's three times more than what the Inquisition achieved in a year.

* Bastille's breach is hilarious... in our psyche we have this idea that many prisoners were freed and everyone rejoiced. That's not true. The number of freed prisoners was 7 old men.