Sign in to follow this  
skarden

2560 x 1440, Worth the hassle?

G'day all, I thought I ask you guys about this one a I'm a little stumped about it, I'm getting a new rig in about a month and a thought I might spoil myself to a new monitor to go with it for shits n gigs.

I was looking at this one in particular

Samsung 27 inch goodness

I like the Idea of having the ability of a much higher native resolution but I was thinkin that it may cause problems, I know pushing that kind of res is gunna take more power but I'm getting duel 680's in my new beast so that shouldn't be a problem I think, it's more the ability of games to use that res, I'm a bit of a flight sim buff and I play some older ones ( IL-2 1946 n such ) and wondered if it'll be a real hassle to get older games to use it? I imagine all new games would use it no problem at all, right ?

Also if there's any other unexpected hassle from using a higher res then normal that anyone has run into that I might not have thought of.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers gents :)

with older games you can often tweak the ini\cfg file to get the res you want although some older games are not capable of proper widescreen in which case you can stretch it or just run it in a smaller box within your monitor depending on your preference

two 680 seems like a waist of cash vs two 670\79#0 but it should be enough grunt to run any current game at 2560x1440 60fps+ provided sli works with it

Ah cheers for the reply Dasa, it sounds like the res isn't something that shouldn't be too much of a problem to get around with a little fiddling in the config files, worse comes worse I can just run it in a smaller window like you said.

Yeah 2 x 680's seems like a little overkill I know but I'm trying to future proof it as much as I can since it's going to be me ultimate rig,hopefully I won't have to change the initial configuration for a while. Plus if a game doesn't support SLI I can still throw a single 680 at it and it should run it pretty well albeit at a lower res worst case scenario.

Cheers again.

I have been using a 27" crossover Korean screen for a few months now and I can't say I have had and problems with it.

Most games I run at 1080P since my ATI 4890's are starting to find it hard to keep up...

The only downside to a screen this size is when you have to use a screen that's smaller, talk about painful.....

gtx680 isnt really anymore future proof just a waist of cash vs gtx670 which performs much the same once the cards are overclocked

7970 is probably more future proof thanks to 3g memory and extra memory bandwidth

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardw...-review-14.html

spending a heap of extra cash to future proof something is normally really bad value vs just upgrading sooner

Edited by Dasa

Yeah I see what you mean, going by that graph the 7970 looks amazing, I was leaning towards Nvidia cause I used to be an ATI guy but my last few GPU were Nvidia and they were just amazing I had the 490 then the 580 which were both fantastic cards, plus I find the driver and software a lot better to play around with, also annoyingly some of the flight sims I play lean towards Nvidia as far as performance and providing support for SLI n such, but not so much for CF.

I've heard about a 4 gb 680 which would help future proof it to a certain extent, although maybe it's time to have a harder look again at ATI, well Dasa you've thrown a spanner in the works in the planning for this rig haha but in a good way of course, it's always good to have real options :)

Well time to do some more research on this.

Cheers hitman, I'm definitely sold on the higher res, I'm looking forward to seeing how BF3 and some of my flight, racing, soldier sims, shit all my games really look at that res, the only problem I really foresee is that's there's no going back once I'm used to it !

You won't have a prob with res - DirectX will autodetect supported resolutions and they'll show up as choices in the game graphics menu.

And, I'm running a single 7970 on a 30" @ 2560x1600 and everything is blazing fast, well over 60fps with max detail. At that res, too, as well as 1440, the 7970's 3GB memory really does help, I track memory usage in Afterburner and it's not unusual to go over 2GB in a few games.

I'd look at a Dell U2713 though, or the brand new ASUS VA278Q over the Samsung you've got in mind.

not a bad idea looks like the asus uses the same samsung panel but throws in extra connectivity and cables at a lower price

I'd look at a Dell U2713 though, or the brand new ASUS VA278Q over the Samsung you've got in mind.

The U2714 is on special at the moment for $674 delivered though. I know because I've been hanging to pick up another 2412M and that is too :)

I've an 23" ASUS at the moment, and while it's pretty good, I find it has a small amount of ghosting on the screen, it's only really visible at certain times times over certain colour backgrounds, I'm oversea's atm and can't for the life of me can't remember what model it is though.

This looks like it could be the goods, great res, it has a lot of input options and comes with a shitload of and cables as well, pretty handy, the sumsung seems a little light on imputs.

ASUS PB278Q

there's almost to many options, sumsung stuff's alwasy been pretty good for me in past if not a little pricey although the ASUS does have more inputs which could be handy down the line.

My PC is hooked up to a Dell U2711, which has the 2560x1440 resolution you're thinking about.

For general desktop use, it's fantastic. It makes friends' 1920x1080 monitors feel positively claustrophobic.

I do like the fact that it fills my vision a bit more compared to a smaller monitor too.

It's pretty nice for gaming, though there is quite a performance hit. That said, on the dual 680's you'll have no trouble whatsoever. I ran on a single 560 Ti and was getting 60fps on most games apart from Skyrim and BF3. Got 2 of the 560 Ti's in SLI now and everything runs quite nicely.

A bonus at that resolution is that AA is almost not worth it. I can't tell a difference turning AA anywhere higher than 2x, since the pixels are so much more dense.

So yeah, I really like my monitor, but for games you could put a 1920x1080 27-inch in front of me and I think I'd still be pretty happy with that.