Sign in to follow this  
Jeruselem

Mobile phone data connection caps regressing?

I've just changed my old 2.5G/EDGE SIM card to a new fangled 3G one yesterday. My phone was 3G so now I'm in the modern age.

I just noticed new plans from all the cards are very generous with most thing except ... data connection caps.

New plans seem to be going backwards starting from the pathetic 200MB per month. The new trend seems to be pushing people buy extra data for plans to top their data connection caps while keeping the price gouging excess data changes per MB. Given 4G LTE is now coming out with new phones, people will be using up their data caps very quickly.

So nothing has changed, we're still being ripped off wherever we turn.

What provider and plans are you looking at for such pitiful data amounts, Telstra?

Vodafail. Mind you the others aren't much better

eg https://www.optus.com.au/shop/mobilephone/b...ion_1category_0

eg http://www.vodafone.com.au/personal/sim-ca.../sim-only-plans

I ended up finding an older $35 plan giving me 1.5GB

Edited by Jeruselem

Data at the ~$35 pricepoint has always been stingy. I have always had a plan around the $50-70 pricepoint, largely for the data allowance. Having kept an eye on the various carriers over the years quotas have almost universally gone up over time for the same pricepoint.

True, I guess they give little at the lower price point to *push* people into the higher ones.

I don't use the voice or text very much as I mostly receive calls not make them so I never use my allocation of that free stuff at all.

Edited by Jeruselem

Since I also joined the 3g era, I've mostly just paid Telstra $30/month, or occasionally $100 to give me 12 months expiry on the credit. I think it gets me 400MB of data, but also about $250 of 'credit' for my $30 recharge. I almost never end up using that 400mb up, but if I do I just pay the ridiculous pay-as-you-go rate ($10/mb maybe?) to burn through $250 of credit I'll also never use up.

I noticed that telstra changed their $59 plan to $60/month. I think they upped the call spend (not 100% sure on that one) but they changed the data down to 1gb from 1.5 gb. They can have some of the call spend back if I can get that extra 500mb. Otherwise it's $5/250mb or $15/1Gb.

Noticed new iPhone 5 plans - which aren't cheap only have like 3GB cap at best. I'm sure an iPhone 5 could wipe out 3GB of downloads very quickly.

I run prepaid on Telstra because in Tasmania the forgotten state you pretty much have to. Having said that I buy my handsets outright, recharge $60 a month and buy a 3GB data pack. My Offer give me 300 minutes and 600 messages for that $60 and as long as I never let it lapse they stack so I'm currently at 4971 free minutes 7831 free sms 1.521 GB data allowance as well as $20 on the sim till the 26th when I'll have to buy some more. I use so much data because I tether my phone when I am at work but since I am getting adsl2 connected next Wednesday I might be able to cut back to $30 or $40 a month spend.

Noticed new iPhone 5 plans - which aren't cheap only have like 3GB cap at best. I'm sure an iPhone 5 could wipe out 3GB of downloads very quickly.

Here's the thing: it *could*, but whether it *does* or not is entirely dependent on the user.

I have 1.5GB and the only time I even come close to using it up is if I download several channels from Nokia's Mix Radio service over my mobile connection, try out a whole bunch of apps and watch Huskystarcraft casting some games on my commute to and from work. This is in addition to the regular web-browsing, social networking stuff, geeky dinner table lookups (it's funny how there's now a kind of competition to see who can find information fastest, if nobody knows the answer to a question).

3GB/month is plenty, although TBH I wouldn't be going for a 24 month plan.

My Offer give me 300 minutes and 600 messages for that $60 and as long as I never let it lapse they stack so I'm currently at 4971 free minutes 7831 free sms 1.521 GB data allowance as well as $20 on the sim till the 26th when I'll have to buy some more.

Is that a grandfathered 'offer'? The one I'm on lets the base credit you buy rollover, but not any of the 'bonus' stuff. Pretty annoyed because otherwise by now I'd have about the same as you, plus a few extra gb of data :

Here's the thing: it *could*, but whether it *does* or not is entirely dependent on the user.

I have 1.5GB and the only time I even come close to using it up is if I download several channels from Nokia's Mix Radio service over my mobile connection, try out a whole bunch of apps and watch Huskystarcraft casting some games on my commute to and from work. This is in addition to the regular web-browsing, social networking stuff, geeky dinner table lookups (it's funny how there's now a kind of competition to see who can find information fastest, if nobody knows the answer to a question).

3GB/month is plenty, although TBH I wouldn't be going for a 24 month plan.

Well, I'm a youtube music video addict. And not the short video type either. I love song remixes.

Edited by Jeruselem

Well, I'm a youtube music video addict. And not the short video type either. I love song remixes.

If that's the case, I'd say that the phone itself is the least of your problems - any network capable of streaming enough data to your phone would be insufficient for your needs as the 2010 SGS is quite the capable YouTube video player. Easy to burn through a gig or more per day on music videos.

Maybe switch to Vodafone? :P

Another option is to just download the YouTube videos to your phone. Apps on every platform that can do that, and then you can just watch the music videos at your leisure whether or not you have a connection.

If that's the case, I'd say that the phone itself is the least of your problems - any network capable of streaming enough data to your phone would be insufficient for your needs as the 2010 SGS is quite the capable YouTube video player. Easy to burn through a gig or more per day on music videos.

Maybe switch to Vodafone? :P

Another option is to just download the YouTube videos to your phone. Apps on every platform that can do that, and then you can just watch the music videos at your leisure whether or not you have a connection.

I am on Vodafail. Yes I do have a video collection too but there's always new stuff to look at ....

If you're only using it for, really, youtube streaming, then I'm not sure what the theoretical max connection speed will do. You'll just get it quicker, not more of it, so to speak?

My Offer give me 300 minutes and 600 messages for that $60 and as long as I never let it lapse they stack so I'm currently at 4971 free minutes 7831 free sms 1.521 GB data allowance as well as $20 on the sim till the 26th when I'll have to buy some more.

Is that a grandfathered 'offer'? The one I'm on lets the base credit you buy rollover, but not any of the 'bonus' stuff. Pretty annoyed because otherwise by now I'd have about the same as you, plus a few extra gb of data :<

Yeah it is, had it for about 3 years now and don't see any sense in changing for the foreseeable future. Not with handsets so cheap and plans so crappy.

I'm on a $59/m plan now with 1.5GB of data, but if I wanted 1.5GB data on a new plan, it'd be $89/m

sucks...

I'm on a $59/m plan now with 1.5GB of data, but if I wanted 1.5GB data on a new plan, it'd be $89/m

sucks...

actually, I with data packs you could be on $70 for 1.5 or $75 for 2gb

I'm thinking of adding a data pack to my plan. Sine going LTE, I seem to be using data faster, and so the 1.5GB might not be enough for the month.

I think this data pack scam business is here to stay. Reckon future mobile plans will have no data allowance and they make you buy data packs.

Edited by Jeruselem

Is it really a scam for the people who end up on plans with heaps of data that they never use but have to pay for?

Is it really a scam for the people who end up on plans with heaps of data that they never use but have to pay for?

Much the same as giving people $500 of phone calls and text messages knowing most cannot use that much in a month.