Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
`angerfist

HD 8000 rumours

Well I think it's about time we start speculating especially with a new supposed leak of the 8800s, the thing that shocks me the most is the price of these cards, its freaking amazing, performance is meant to jump by 70% while using 15 watts less than the current generation. Again it's the price that shocks me; 8870 is RRP $279 and 8850 is RRP $199....that's crazy....if its true lol

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-gpu-o...deon,17643.html

One would assume we will see smaller performance gains each generation now as process shrinking becomes harder and a less efficient means to generating addition processing power. The days of a 50% shrink and 100% gains are behind us me thinks.

I'd expect around 30% gains with each models next-gen equivalent. This is of course completely just my guess though, as I've not even heard a single peep out of anyone that any HD8000 samples exist yet, even in R&D testing from AMD partners. Going below 22nm is going to prove difficult, especially when you consider the trouble TSMC has had with both AMD and Nvidia manufacturing for the past, oh, I dno... four years.

I agree that at least the next generation of cards will likely remain 28nm but I do hope there is some truth to the leaked specs, looks too good to be true though. To be honest they should just take a few years off and wait for the software to catch up..

its not saying the card will be 70% faster just the sp compute

texture filtrate up 65% which would be a nice jump but then pixel filtrate only goes up 10%

so even if these specs are true then the final performance improvement in games will probably be much closer to 30% depending on the game

One would assume we will see smaller performance gains each generation now as process shrinking becomes harder and a less efficient means to generating addition processing power. The days of a 50% shrink and 100% gains are behind us me thinks.

I'd expect around 30% gains with each models next-gen equivalent. This is of course completely just my guess though, as I've not even heard a single peep out of anyone that any HD8000 samples exist yet, even in R&D testing from AMD partners. Going below 22nm is going to prove difficult, especially when you consider the trouble TSMC has had with both AMD and Nvidia manufacturing for the past, oh, I dno... four years.

On the current manufacturing process maybe but who knows what's on the horizon.

Hmmm looks too good to be true tbh but who knows, sorry i didn't mean a 70% gain in game performance my error, realistically a 30% gain would be great. The thing that gets me is the price, if that is true, AMD are doing well in that respect.

280W TDP????? No thanks

i dont care if its 400w tdp as long as it idles with low usage and goes like hell when needed

one 400w gpu is better than two 200w

but at this stage its all largely speculation

True, but I know that I couldn't afford such a GPU, or 2 smaller ones :-P

fair enough and that is why they make better value cards instead of just the $550us rrp model for people that dont have better things to spend there cash on :)

Hahah yeah. Idle power consumption is extremely important for me as well, which is why I'd buy a HD 78x0 if I had the money. They're an upgrade in every regard to what I have, without breaking that bank that much

i was worried that may happen

now that there in front there more inclined to take a wait and see approach with what nvidia is releasing which should be better for them if they can beat nvidia again

guess i do what they want then and buy another 7970 rather than waiting and hope they havent puled a swifty to increase xmas sales then release it next month

Edited by Dasa

Guest xyzzy frobozz

It's gotten to the stage where performance is becoming academic (do you want 80 FPS or 90 FPS) for anyone running 60Hz monitors.

My considerations have been more around heat, noise and power draw.

It's gotten to the stage where performance is becoming academic (do you want 80 FPS or 90 FPS) for anyone running 60Hz monitors.

My considerations have been more around heat, noise and power draw.

yet even if i get a second 7970 my pc will use less power and be quieter than yours :)

for me its not so much about getting over 60fps as i made the mistake of trying out eyefinity so im struggling to get 30fps in some games at ~8000x1440

Is the 8000M series the first portable solution to include GCN architecture?

Should be a good performance boost for laptops.

And hopefully they make a dual GPU solution. Need to update this 6990 :p

For the majority this may well be the case, but for people like me with higher resolutions to push (my screen is 2560x1440) I am finding my current setup struggling with some games, necessitating disabling some graphical effects to maintain a 60fps.

Looking forward to this next generation, as current cards to me don't really give me enough of a boost over my 2 560Tis in SLI, at least for a reasonable amount of money. Hoping that next next gen will mean I'll get noticable increase in performance for similar money!

Is the 8000M series the first portable solution to include GCN architecture?

Should be a good performance boost for laptops.

And hopefully they make a dual GPU solution. Need to update this 6990 :p

Powercolor made an incredible dual-gpu already, just get it