Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
`angerfist

HD 8000 rumours

What is the release date of the 8870(roughly), if it s after Q1 i will just but a 7870 now

What is the release date of the 8870(roughly), if it s after Q1 i will just but a 7870 now

my guess is now that amd is ahead of nvidia they will be in no hurry and id expect mid next year but you never know they could sneak it into the first quarter

so should i get a 7870 now and sell my 5770 to jdog, or wait and get a 8870?

Sorry guys, been on a massive holiday so I haven't been on at all but from what I've been catching up on I stumbled upon this pretty nifty bit of information, the specs for the whole 8000 series line up:

http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-hd-8000-ser...cations-leaked/

thoughts??

P.S. This is all just speculation so as far as I've seen, this is the most detailed info I've come across.

Edited by `angerfist

Well this is interesting. I was reading through the release notes for Catalyst 13.1 for Linux, and noted the additions to the product support list...

EDIT: Interestingly, the release notes for Catalyst 13.1 for Windows does not have those cards. Woopsies AMD :-P

Edited by nobody813

Not surprising really. Manufacturing of large die processors on such a small process is expensive and prone to poor yield. It's better for them to keep their existing product out longer to offset costs of an update. A bit like how the Xbox 360 and PS3 remain on the market forever to make up for the huge initial R&D expense.

Wow.. No new release this whole year? Thats ballsy. And stupid. Oh well, looks like i'll just have to snag a 7970 at some point.

Wow.. No new release this whole year? Thats ballsy. And stupid. Oh well, looks like i'll just have to snag a 7970 at some point.

I wouldn't call it stupid, I'd rather they come out with something decent than rush out an expensive piece of junk.

Hmm there has been speculation and mainly rumours how AMD have 'apparently stated' that they are going to released their new HD 8000 series late this year/early next year however this article suggests otherwise. My guess is? Expect to hear/see things around June/July, I doubt they will leave it towards the end of the year though its not a bad idea. The HD 7000 series is quite remarkable from a price:performance ratio, considering that nvidia haven't really had a major price drop over here in Australia, I've seen/heard about alot of people coming over to the red team. Regardless I wouldn't be dissapointed if either team didnt release a new series this year, having a new lineup every year can only last so long in my eyes.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2027813/amd...deon-plans.html

Edited by `angerfist

I was looking for a cooler for my elderly GTX 275, when I came across this. Seems you can already see if your cooler will work with the new HD 8000 cards :-P

I was looking for a cooler for my elderly GTX 275, when I came across this. Seems you can already see if your cooler will work with the new HD 8000 cards :-P

assuming there not talking about the oem version of the hd 8000 which are just rebagged hd 7000

Hmmm I like that article nobody, again, having a new gpu lineup every year would be too costly and risky. Me personally? I'm happy with the plans AMD have atm, I think its smart and saves alot of money. I think nvidia will follow suit aswell.

if they move to a big improvement every two years similar to the progress they have made over that time span so far im still happy since i only buy a new gpu every two years but if they wait two years then just bring out a small revision like what the rumored specs of hd8000 were i will be very disappointed

it would also see the amd gpu division go the way of there cpu division and nvidia will take the lead