Achillesjg

SSD's after initial setup

OK, I've read AD's brilliant post about setting up SSD's, but I'm not sure about what happens next.

I'm getting a reasonably large SSD (256gb) for my wife's PC, and I'm going to set it up over the weekend. Currently she has a pair of 1TB Hard Drives, that I'd like to keep in her PC as data drives.

My plan is to put all of her media on to the data drives, as per AD's guide. But where should I install her programs and games? I'm under the impression that the SSD would be the best place, with the possibility of limiting the installation of her most frequently used programs. Or, would it be better to install all of her programs to the SSD, or none at all?

The more you can fit on the SSD the better. If you can't fit everything, fit the most used stuff.

Windows, programs and games like normal should go on the C: (SSD)

And documents, movies, data etc should go on the 1TB drives.

You will just need to link the docs folders in Windows to these folders on the secondary drive.

You will just need to link the docs folders in Windows to these folders on the secondary drive.

Or use the move option to move Documents etc.

http://headstrongfarm.hubpages.com/hub/Win...ng_My_Documents

Can do the same for most other folders in C:\Users\login name\.

Yep, this is what I do and I have the same setup as you Achillesjg - an SSD OS drive and 2 HDs(RAID 0 for me) as data drives. Though I used my SSD setup guide not ADs ;P

The only other programs I have on the SSD are MS Office as that's what it mainly gets used for. Any games, and there are only a few, are installed on the HDs. For the kid's PC I make sure this is where steam is pointed to...

Wow that's cool.

Now don't have to worry about backing up program setting before formatting.

I like to have two folder though. One of my actual stuff, and another of all the settings so I can easily find what I'm looking for.

Like so.

Posted Image

Or use the move option to move Documents etc.

http://headstrongfarm.hubpages.com/hub/Win...ng_My_Documents

Can do the same for most other folders in C:\Users\login name\.

I found it's easier if you just go to your {username} folder and right click > properties >move everything from there. I usually move Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, Downloads and Desktop.

How do you do that exactly?

Can't see the option.

Go to your user folder.

Right click My Documents (for example) > Properties

Click Location tab

Change location to wherever you want (I usually go create some folders first on my data drive so I can type in the path straight away.

Repeat for all the things you want to keep on the other hard drive.

Edited by justo316

Oh, I thought you meant go into c:\users\youname and do it from the properties of that folder.

All good.

My setup is simple for a new install.

1. Secure Erase drive

2. Install OS

3. Install programs/games

4. Link windows libraries to 2nd HDD (Docs/pics/videos/downloads etc...)

5. Change download location on any program that needs it (Browser/Download managers ect)

All done.

Edited by smakme7757