discoInferno

Torchlight 2

Torchlight 2 released on Steam 21st September.

Who's preordered? Who's buying? Who's excited? Who doesn't care?

Kotaku has a positive review - http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/09/torchligh...-kotaku-review/

And a nice comparison with Diablo 3 - http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/09/torchligh...we-had-to-make/

Looks like a bigger, better version of the original which is a great thing imho. Keep it simple and fun.

Looking forward to this. Buying 2 of them to play multiplayer with my nephew. Gonna sink hours into it hopefully.

All in the spirit of Atomic yes? :D Game is awesome btw haven't stopped playing it since i woke this morning in a christmas like glee!

I played the shit out of the first torchlight on 360 arcade a few years ago. Pre-ordered this months ago, before diablo 3 even came out I think. Been waiting since..

The release seemed to sneak up on me, I was surprised to hear it is out today.

I am installing it now anyway, will probably get stuck into it tonight after work.

Edited by p0is0n

Just played for about an hour so far... so far I am not really a fan of the skill system. But will see if it grows on me as I get used to things..

Example for 1 point i get 5% of my health healed on crit, for a second point, it becomes 5.5%.. doesn't seem worth more than 1 point?

Edit: Second opinion after playing another hour or so (this time engineer) I actually quite like it. You can respec your last 3 skill points for free at any time, so I've been playing with different skills and can see a few combinations that will work well. I like engineer the most so far, quite tanky which is usually my style.

Edited by p0is0n

im gonna get it, i dont feel i got enough out of diablo 3 before getting bored at re running the same levels.

i'll download it tonight

So played for a few hours now. Just hit level 23....

And the game feels....exactly the same as the old one....almost like they didn't make a single change at all....

Sure that's not a bad thing because well the first one was great. But it doesn't feel they really did anything other than make some new classes, levels etc...

I guess at $19.95 you can't argue with value. But you have to wonder that it must be the reason the game is more like Torchlight episode 2. Still highly enjoyable so far.

...it doesn't feel they really did anything other than make some new classes, levels etc...

Games companies can't really win with sequels: If they change things, half their audience is pissed that they 'messed up a good thing'; if they don't, the other half is pissed that they 'did nothing'. It's a real tightrope they have to walk, and I'm amazed anyone makes anything but 'original' games that just happen to look just like previous games.

"Damned if they do, damned if they don't."

So played for a few hours now. Just hit level 23....

...exactly the same as the old one....almost like they didn't make a single change at all....

other than make some new classes, levels etc...

I dont think you know what the word "exactly" means...

I'm holding out for a week hoping my birthday present hints are heard, but if not I'll buy it next week. I think for $20 you really can't go wrong. Has anyone tried the multi player?

Ahhh, fresh off my 3rd Hardcore character loss. RIP Ripperz buddy. Enjoying the crap out of this game, been playing it now every day since release for :D loving it! This game is so damn fast. Very enjoyable and if your a fan of the genre you would do yourself a dis-service not to download and play this game. :D

Ive played about 12 hours of it now and although im a huge fan of the first and this 1. It is more fun with the new additions and better levels.

The game does start to fall into a routine very quickly of, Get to a town that having trouble with a boss, go-to the zone clear the smaller dungeons, then clear the main dungeon. Then go-to next town and repeat. I'm currently level 46 and doing the same thing since i was level 10. it's kinda face rolling to be honest and i was hoping for more variety in the story chain.

The new bosses and mob and themes are great but become a chore to kill if they are not apart of the main story, and you can pretty much run past all the trash right up-to the last boss area in every dungeon to avoid killing them. Same with my Beta play through it wasn't until i played Elite difficulty that i found any form of a challenge but still it lay with final bosses.

I know many will think that its a dungeon crawler so that's what its meant to be like but, but this day and age a more dramatic and epic story line would have made it a lot less grindy.

I also see a huge problem with the class i'm playing, They made all these fun talent tree's but when your an engineer, pick up a kick ass cannon and just get heal bot, gun bot, passive shield and the special cannon ability and nuke your way through he entire game mashing a single button without even having to worry about gear (apart from the cannon). Put all you points into strength and you pretty much 1 shot explode anything in your path up to the boss then you just kite him round chugging mana pots mashing that finger on 1 until there dead. The other classes don't seem to have this "god-mode" single spec which does mix things up, but even know your hot bar has 10 slots you can get to the end still only having used 2-3 buttons the entire time.

In the beta a lot of people complained that this spec was too OP compared to the other classes and they said with the new talent changes & fight mechanics it would make this spec obsolete. Well negative. This spec is great if you have a kid you with to play if you want to enjoy some coop game play with as the class is easy mode and wields cannon shooting what looks like a rail gun attack.

All in all, its fun in small doses and can keep the boredom away. But played in long sessions can become tedious and repetitive very quickly. Their better boss mechanics are fun and can sometime catch you off guard if you just stand still and mash buttons but once you get into a routine of kiteing them around those mechanic go out the window, and it all become about chugging mana pots until they die.

Edited by Modz

Has anyone tried coop? I wouldn't mind some games at night.

I've only been playing in co-op with my girlfriend so far, I left her in the dust in D3 and as a result we didn't play together much.

It does work pretty well, but not as smoothly as things did in D3, you have to exit, recreate as a multi player game and then someone else can join, which is a bit of a pain. It would be nicer to just be able to convert the current game into multi player or invite a friend to join.

It does individual loot for each person like D3 does, and it seems to increase the difficulty too (as when she disconnected briefly it got easier).

The multi player is not quite as polished as D3 IMO, but still good fun.

Edited by p0is0n

this game is awesome, finally you can assign stats when you level up, i got the dude with the guns and cannons, account name is znatez

hey znatex, I've added you to my friends list. If you got a spot in your game now, can you send me the password?