bradstone

overclocking with Mach Xtreme 2300

Hi guys,

I started a buildlog here a long time ago,

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=46395

I needed to change careers so the project sat on the floor for a year in pieces.

well, I've finally gotten back to it and have all of it in and in one piece, lights, fans, components, everything.

but now I just can't seem to get the overclock I expected, I can't even get the overclock I used to...

I had the G.Skill 2000Mhz 2x2Gb sticks, now I have 4x2Gb Mach xtreme 2300Mhz sticks, the atomic labs got them to run at 2520Mhz.

when I had the G.Skill, I had:

200 BCLK

20x on CPU

10x on RAM

now I can't even get those numbers to work...

I have the voltages set to 1.65

probably useful random information...

before, I had Crossfire, which, on my motherboard, disabled SATA3, after the install I had one card taken out, which enables SATA3. - I have since put the card back in, but I'm unsure if that would have made a difference to the overclock.

however...

before, when I had set anything greater than:

150 BCLK

20x CPU

10x RAM

it wouldn't POST, the above settings are stable, but anything more and the safety would restart with stock settings, but now with the second card, if I set 160 BCLK it will begin POST but fail mid effort, and random gibberish begins to appear on the screen (sometimes, depending on where it fails, sometimes it fails on a blank screen and stays blank)

I think it was the CPU overheating, because it would happen sooner and sooner in POST, it was worrying because I couldn't even load BIOS settings.

I suspected the water pump wasn't working, so I hooked it up to an external supply (which took time, allowing the CPU to cool) and managed to reach BIOS settings, and now I'm here.

I also worry if maybe the CPU has issues, during the build it needed to be reseated, and I personally think too much thermal compound was used, after the build, it wouldn't start up and we reseated the CPU, and it started. again I can only speculate if that had anything to do with it...

anyone have any ideas?

I already have my QPI/VTT at 1.37, however some research says that 1.4 is a max with 10% more as an overclocked upper recommended limit.

so I guess I have some room to play with.

according to the thermal probes in my radiator, I'm seeing 33c going in and 31.5c coming out, the RAM is sitting at 38c, but my southbridge is at 51c, the southbridge can handle a lot more heat I've heard, and I don't believe my pump is running at 100% (variable speed aquacomputer ultra) also it's a hot QLD day so I say have a lot of room to play with. I'd say temp wise I have twice this much heat levels, except with the RAM.

Do you think it would make a difference if I took out the second graphics card AND disabled the SATA3 in the BIOS?, it seems to have had an effect adding back in the second card (and therefore disabling the SATA3 & USB3) - or is the graphics cards thing just a red herring?

I would run 2 sticks first to see if you can get anywhere near the clock your after.

as Dasa has said unless your chip has a really,really good IMC(internal memory controller) then running 4x2GB@2500mhz is going to be tough.

Those are very nice sticks though i would love a set but cant find them anywhere..:(

Heh jdog, you just want me to sell you the other two sticks!

I'll keep you in mind.

I'd probably get a waterblock on the p55 chip before I do that though, it just looks too sex...

Well, I've been following the guide and every day or so I up the BCLK by 10Mhz, I got up to 210Mhz and start to get general OS instability. Even at 1.41v on the vtt.

It takes a lot longer to POST and BOOT, and after a while the system hangs.

I go all out on CPU cooling to find that it's the chipset that will let me down, I had 200Mhz and 20x miltiplier on the CPU on air cooling, but now because of the upgrade to the RAM I can't get a higher BCLK, so, I either press on further down this rabbithole or settle for a slower PC. Never!

Am I right in thinking that The BCLK is letting me down, that it is in the intel P55 express chipset, and that the chipset will be more stable with a waterblock?

If so, I have an expansion already planned out, the Koolance CHC-125

http://koolance.com/chc-125-motherboard-chipset-water-block

Plus a few other goodies, but this block is the main feature of this proposed upgrade, if it's what's letting me down...

So guys, am I on the right track?

Edited by bradstone

memory controller is on the cpu

try with two sticks to make sure thats what it is and that things do go back to what they used to be just make sure you know exactly where it is can you still reach a high bclk with a lower memory speed? or is one of the new memory sticks a dud?

its possible tweaking some of the timings could help

I located the source of the OS instabilities, I don't believe it was OC based, objectdock was updated and seemed to play up.

I had a pagefile issue, windows took a much longer time to load and I had a warning about a possibly enormous pagefile size. So I wiped and remade the file. My bet is on objectdock, it makes sense that powering down the system mid heavy pagefile writing could corrupt the data.

I still need to do some testing, but I think that it boots slowly intermittantly. I haven't sat and watched it carefully too often yet, but when I do it seems to be fine.

So, if we disregard the previous OS instabilities, I can't even POST at 220Mhz, but I can at 210, (with a CPU multiplier of 15 and a RAM multiplier of 6) I have it at 200Mhz (with the same multipliers) and both settings are prone to system hang when (I assume) the heat builds up. The thermal probe I have on the chipset comes in at 46° currently, i'd say ambient temp in the box is reaching 35° and with my experience with this probe in heatsinks I'd say that the chip is probably sitting at almost 60°

The probe on the RAM says 27° so with the fact it's only at half speed, and it's triple heatsinks i'd put it's temp at box ambient.

Research says that the chip is stable at 100°, but that's probably at 133Mhz, not 200+. Research also says people have trouble getting past 220Mhz (assumedly with stock cooling) I want to reach 250, or else everything else I've done so far is moot.

The pagefile thing however can point at the dodgy RAM stick idea (or the IMC), however I haven't experienced anything else except the system hangs, and that's only when it's hot out. - still, I guess it can't hurt to pull them out and make sure, I was planning on changing the main fans power from the mobo to the pumps fan controller anyway...

I'm inclined to believe that a chipset cooler and a waterchiller would help with both the chipset and IMC limitations, I have an idea about a 245W peltier based internal waterchiller wedged between two waterblocks i'd love to try, I even have a turbo timer in the plan to warm the cold side of the peltier so not to freeze the coolant.

Also, I found something about the SLI thing in my research too, some people claim to get higher clocks when they increase their PCI-e transfer speeds from auto to something faster, no idea on that one, if anybody out there can shed some light maybe?

if your still talking about cooling the mb chipset it wont help its not much more than a southbridge

droping cpu temps further is the only thing that may help there and the best way to do that is probably phase change

do some research into peltier waterchillers its all been tried before with varying success

Stupid question, but the baseclock isn't on the chipset anymore is it?

fairly much what i have been trying to say :)

that part of the chipset has been moved onto the cpu

Been into computers for quite a while, still thinking oldschool... no cooler on the chipset.

Well, a peltier setup is a bit of a turn on, but it looks like people who do it just enjoy the creative aspect (I'm all for that btw, but I do believe in function AS WELL as form)

I saw a guy with 4Ghz on his 750 running 4 sticks at 1600, but I think I'm going to have to go down the extreme rout to reach this 2500 mhz goal...

I can see a peltier for my uses, but not a phase change, atleast nothing I've seen so far seems practical...

its possible nothing you do will make it reach 2500mhz short of moving to 3570k z77 even then there is no guaranties with 4 sticks

Well that's annoying.

I finally get around to watercooling, buy and eyebulging setup, and find that technology at the moment can be maxed out with decent air cooling...

Now I'm depressed.

Maybe gone are the days when performance was a matter of greater heat dissapation, they were probably gone at the same time the baseclock was moved from the chipset too...

cooling further should allow you higher cpu clocks but memory controllers can hit there limits fairly hard

going sub 0 will let you up the v further so it should help a bit but its not magic

tweaking timings has the potential to help more than improved cooling so dont give up yet like i said try with individual sticks of ram