Sign in to follow this  
tantryl

XCOM Enemy Unknown

I noticed that too, Tanty. "Ooh, bunch of aliens, let's flank with my snipers on high ground... oh right they just saw/activated two more groups."

It really feels like the aliens just hang out, chilling, until you see them. (Which is demonstrably not true in this base invasion I'm playing, where going back and reloading meant that aliens weren't in the same places I'd previously found them)

Edited by Nich...

Some thoughts:

- Flanking is possible I usually flank with my snipers on either side and getting the assault and heavies to go up front with some cover.

- Of course Sniper flanking works if they are 8 or more squares away from the enemy because they miss often when that happens. Also getting snapshot is better because it allows me to get to a position and fire rather than move to a position and go in full defensive mode.

- Start of game requires QUICKLY get Power Stations and Satellites, once you get all the satellites then go for engineering and 1 scientist place.

- Shotgun is good at plasma or higher. Otherwise AR is better that I find.

- Seems that I prioritize for Alien abduction based on panic rating rather than what bonuses I get :(.

Good game though but I restarted alot to work out how to play it properly.

Having played this game to death since release it has it's shortcomings and fails in some parts.

Knowing what the game is now like I will never play ironman mode. Well let me clarify that - I'll never try to ARC an alien in ironman mode.

Why? Cos the game has some pre-scripted aliens that can never, ever be stunned. I'm not talking high levels like the ethereal - I've discovered that regular Brutons, sectoids etc.. in some situations cannot be stunned. Even when I ensure they have only 1 health.

I know cos I kept on reloading my game to stun.. and reloading... and reloading.

Likewise there are some pre-scripted instances where your shots will never connect, usually right at the start when you first notice the aliens.

Yes I'm a min-max'er with some games and this is one where I wanted to cheese my way through. Having done that I now know the game is not entirely based on your squad's skill, your tactics or random dice rolls.

When you start a tactical mission, the game generates a seed that is used for pseudorandom purposes. Basically, if you make the same moves and keep reloading a saved game, you'll keep getting the same result until you try doing something differently. If you can't ARC some alien, don't just keep reloading and reloading - the probabilities shown aren't generated on the fly. You need to make a different move, and then try again.

Yeah that was one of the first things that came to mind. I've been playing games for a very long time.

Tried doing that as well. Like moving a squaddie somewhere else or taking out another alien before I ARC. Same result.

Yeah that was one of the first things that came to mind. I've been playing games for a very long time.

Tried doing that as well. Like moving a squaddie somewhere else or taking out another alien before I ARC. Same result.

If you are trying to do an ARC and fail i believe it remembers your action so if you reload the game to do something and ARC that alien again it will automatically fail. Which makes sense because if you could reload all the times you have to kill someone and eventually succeed you could easily win the game on the hardest difficulty reloading your quick save game over and over making the game a tad easy.

You gotta accept sometimes you cant ARC and that cant be helped even if its the main objective, if capturing was so simple then you could gotten plasma guns and such already outfitted and like destroy everything.

Edited by Zhaker

played through on Classic and now trying classic ironman.

Stunning aliens and interrogating them is the only way to keep your tech on track (through bonuses to research) with the ramping difficulty.

I'm still loving it though :-)

Does anyone know if repeatedly stunning the same kind of alien means you get to interrogate them again and get a new/stacking research bonus?

Does anyone know if repeatedly stunning the same kind of alien means you get to interrogate them again and get a new/stacking research bonus?

You can't. I think all you can do, is if you've unlocked their gun, you can use it instead.

If you are trying to do an ARC and fail i believe it remembers your action so if you reload the game to do something and ARC that alien again it will automatically fail. Which makes sense because if you could reload all the times you have to kill someone and eventually succeed you could easily win the game on the hardest difficulty reloading your quick save game over and over making the game a tad easy.

You gotta accept sometimes you cant ARC and that cant be helped even if its the main objective, if capturing was so simple then you could gotten plasma guns and such already outfitted and like destroy everything.

That's exactly what I was trying to do - cheese my way through the first play through.

I know, I know and I've not let it bother me that much. I'm now playing it as the game's meant to be played and can appreciate the game better for it... fist through monitor moments and all.

Edited by wynnttr

TBH, I haven't found too many fist through monitor moments.

Sure, I've lost a few good squad members, but I don't have one tricked out squad, if anything I have more like three less skilled squads, each peppered with a few real pros.

I just find that I get so many injuries each battle, that my best guys miss 1/2 the missions.

I also usually try and run a few recruits each game, to give me someone disposable. I mean, there's so many bits where you need to reveal using a squadmember, and what they reveal is three chompy melee monsters on the other side!

TBH, I haven't found too many fist through monitor moments.

Sure, I've lost a few good squad members, but I don't have one tricked out squad, if anything I have more like three less skilled squads, each peppered with a few real pros.

I just find that I get so many injuries each battle, that my best guys miss 1/2 the missions.

I also usually try and run a few recruits each game, to give me someone disposable. I mean, there's so many bits where you need to reveal using a squadmember, and what they reveal is three chompy melee monsters on the other side!

Some suggestions:

- For Snipers unless they got snap shot is that they move into cover without dashing and then bunkering if nothing to do.

- For everything else move without dashing near a cover even if its small and put overwatch.

- Dont rush unless you got 2 ppl at least on overwatch to watch your troops.

- Always try to position in cover with overwatch cause it gives you the best chance to survive.

I find that Snipers with Snap shot > Squad shot because Snap shot allows me to move into position and shoot even with -20 aim. Squad shot works on certain maps where if you get the sniper on the highest ledge it can rain down from anyone on the map basically. But I never got squad shot working properly.

Some suggestions:

- For Snipers unless they got snap shot is that they move into cover without dashing and then bunkering if nothing to do.

- For everything else move without dashing near a cover even if its small and put overwatch.

- Dont rush unless you got 2 ppl at least on overwatch to watch your troops.

- Always try to position in cover with overwatch cause it gives you the best chance to survive.

I find that Snipers with Snap shot > Squad shot because Snap shot allows me to move into position and shoot even with -20 aim. Squad shot works on certain maps where if you get the sniper on the highest ledge it can rain down from anyone on the map basically. But I never got squad shot working properly.

That's funny, squad vision I find much more useful. It lets me sit my snipers back a long way, making them hard to target. it will sometimes flush out enemies (they'll expend their jumppack ability to jump near the snipers).

I imagine that taking snapshot makes them play much more like a squad designated marksman, than a true sniper. Problem is, the closer you get, the more penalty applies to the sniper. So at close range, with -20 to hit for moving, and the penalty for overwatch, I kind of see that not working too awesomely. I'd rather sit back and use headshot with 85%+

I have one sniper with gunslinger and battle scanner, the other has good ground and disabling. I've taken opportunist on both, as I use my snipers to open, not finish off enemies.

I think I'll go double tap on both, and I find I like them both really well. gunslinger has got one sniper out of a number of pickles, as I've given them both the only plasma pistols I have atm.

I think overall though, good high ground or whatever is a better pick. The alpha damage from actually hitting with those sniper rifles is just too damn good, and I don't even have plasma snipers yet.

I think battle scanners is far more useful than disabling, but I haven't really felt like I've been in any "big boss" battles yet, where disabling will shine.

I run both with (now) grappling armour, and SCOPE, and I basically always priorise their survival.

Thanks for the tips, I'm already doing all of that. I just get injuries from randomly being hit in cover, or when a muton uses a grenade. I've also had a few mind-control friendly fire issues ;)

No good when you are well dug in, and one of your guys goes rogue.

The game is really unforgiving, but I actually love that. Definitely going to come back on a harder difficulty if I finish this game on Normal.

I was slow to get off the ground, especially with satellites, but only Australia (LOL) has withdrawn, and everyone else is on low terror.

I just raided their underground base, although I'm sure the new enemies will mess me around a bit.

I grabbed disabling shot, but only use it when I want to capture a live alien.

Anyone else seen the closing sequence yet? I dunno if it's my rig, but my volunteer seems to run off with the rest of the squad, I hear a bodiless "Go!", and nobody is visible directing the final moments on the Temple ship.

Also, anyone else expecting another bite, with the troop carrier being upgraded to alien tech and some space missions, or undersea missions?

took at look at the demo\video of this today and was all sucked in up until i spotted the combat... cover waves and trying to duck between cover while the screen goes red then hide while health regens... not again how the hell do people enjoy that shit?

its just boring and easy or frustrating at higher difficultys repeating the task until you complete it without the interface or bad luck somehow getting you killed

this is a real shame as the game looks to have some great things gong for it but i dont think it will be enough for me

I hate the cover system in FPS/TPS games. It's so cheap and goes in the opposite direction of fun for me.

But it works in a turn based strategy. Unlike FPS/TPS games cover simply decreases your chance of getting hit, it doesn't make you invincible. There's no regen.

I still think this game ends up being mediocre, largely because the flanking thing is a bit of a ruse and the only decent survival strategy is retreat then overwhelm or snipe.

so xcom is still more strategy than first\third person shooter as the vid seemed to imply?

Missions are turn based, attacks use up your attack action for the turn, attacks have a percentage chance to succeed based on position & skill no manual aiming available.

Missions are turn based, attacks use up your attack action for the turn, attacks have a percentage chance to succeed based on position & skill no manual aiming available.

nice

might have to look for another vid not sure what game mode that first one was showing

thanks

When you make certain kinds of moves, the game will - by default, it can be disabled - sometimes switch to first person mode for a short action-sequence type video.

im loving this game, not having as much trouble flanking as the others tho. I have a sprinter with quick reflexes run out and lure in the enemy into kill zones and waste anyone who chased my sprinter with people bunker down on the sides. Its easy to get a flank too when you blow away the enemy cover with rockets.

Using the snipers vision device is helpful too when you need to move up, sometimes if im not getting any enemy attention il just launch a rocket into the side of the building and they usually come outside to see whats up.

I didnt build enough sat uplinks early tho and have 4 countries who have left the project.

Does the higher difficultly give more xp or something to off balance the loss of the squad? i usually restart the mission if anyone of importance dies, theres always a way to come out without (significant) causalities