Sign in to follow this  
tantryl

XCOM Enemy Unknown

I'm super excited about this game, the first time I've been super excited about a game in about a decade, and thought I'd pop up a dedicated thread.

We all know the original UFO: Enemy Unknown aka XCOM: UFO Defense is one of the best games of all time. I bought it purely by chance in a 2 for x sale when I was in England when I was 13 (18 years ago, bloody hell). The other game was Pizza Tycoon. I still play the original from time to time and have played it quite a bit in the last month or two in anticipation for this game.

I downloaded and played the demo (available on Steam). Here are my thoughts which I posted in the comments of one of the Atomic News articles:

Has me VERY worried, although it may just have been because it was a highly restricted demo. But gameplay during missions seemed very simple and guided. Not that it was complex in the original, but it wasn't so guided. No bad guys were hidden or hard to find in any way you just do the ole COD trick of keep-moving-forward and you'll get there. We got basically no insight into the research/manufacturing setup except that you can't/don't buy scientists, you win them through winning missions apparently. And there's some sort of weird currency which I guess you use to upgrade facilities? I guess?

But the demo was essentially a trailer. The amount of interactivity is almost zero. So it could be giving a false impression.

Note: I remain super excited in spite of this. WAR XCOM!

I want it so badly, but the only thing I want more is time to play it :

I didn't even notice the demo up on steam (d'oh!). If you get an error trying to install it, try restarting your steam client - seemed to fix it for me.

I'm a little concerned with talk about how restrictive the 'two moves' replacement for TU is. Taking a single step is the same cost as talking 20 or just turning to the right to check for aliens? Blah.

Yeah, it has me a bit worried too. That was part of the 'guided' thing I was talking about. Along with alien-encounters being like mini-levels within each mission.

But it's just the demo. And there's a bunch of unlocks-due-to-promotion which hopefully change that 2-moves-only thing.

Exactly Tantryl, it's just a demo. I expect it's no different than just playing the tutorial of the game - here, do this, click here, do that, just to give you a feel for the game. I think it has a lot of potential - obviously it'll be criticised in some parts for not simply being UFO Defense with a graphical upgrade, but I figure if I really want to play UFO defense, there's nothing stopping me. There's still the customisation of soldiers and to an extent the base, choices about who to defend and who to leave to themselves, seemingly quite brutal combat that will require careful planning to bring soldiers through unscathed.

G

Hahaha.

"You like aliens?"

"No"

"Exactly, you like shooting aliens!"

Gold, but the best line was probably "this is the future of shooters".

G

Finally got to play the demo. I see what they're trying to do, but... I don't really like the camera controls. It seems like it'll still be difficult to see where you're actually sending your soldier, and the zoom and panning feels a bit clunky. Especially the zooming, tho' I guess it makes sense, too, for the storey selection to be on the mouse wheel.

Hoping the final game maybe lets you change keybinds and shit, to take advantage of extra buttons on my mouse :\

Pre ordered, Pre loaded ;-)

I know what you mean about the demo.

However, I have been playing the old Xcom in anticipation, and in reality the levels are quite small and basic in that version too.

It's the narrative that really gives the game it scope.

I also have faith because its Firaxis. I know that sounds lame, but if there's one developer you can trust it's them.

Can't wait till tomorrow :D

I have been awaiting this one with bated breath. Big, huge <3 <3 for the original X-COM, with the biggest piece of awesome being the totally destructible environments. I want the new game to have that, or at least some decent environmental interaction.

How hard can it be?? Minecraft has a completely interactive environment which can theoretically be a million times larger than Earth itself, but any reasonably well-populated server will typically be rendering several square km of virtual land.

If you don't want to pay the full price you can try one of the key-vendors for $29-$52. The keys activate on Steam but info on whether you need a Russian/US/Whatever IP address to do so is not currently available on some of those prices.

If you don't want to pay the full price you can try one of the key-vendors for $29-$52. The keys activate on Steam but info on whether you need a Russian/US/Whatever IP address to do so is not currently available on some of those prices.

I'll probably buy it from there but it's going to have to wait till next month, I've only got 12GB left on my plan for this month. Now I haz sads.

Lovin this really like the updated look of things and the soldier perks are great was cruising through the missions hardly losing any soldiers then came the first city attack and got smashed OMFG the new Chryssalids are tough as kill them ASAP or you will regret it.

Mildly interesting fact: One of my first missions was in Perth.

Inconsequential observation: I'm clocking the SkyRanger in at about 5,000kph on some journeys.

Mildly interesting fact: One of my first missions was in Perth.

Inconsequential observation: I'm clocking the SkyRanger in at about 5,000kph on some journeys.

yeah had a terror mission in Melbourne good to see they didnt leave out the aussies

SHUT UP. RESEARCH LADY AND ENGINEER DUDE! EVERYTHING YOU SAY IS STUPID! JUST DO YOUR JOBS AND SHUT YOUR GOBS!

I couldn't wait, so I went to EB and got a disc copy just to install the game. I'll buy it for $28 online and return the boxed copy during the week.

Well that was a little frustrating for about 15 minutes. Steam kept trying to download the game, even though it was a disc copy. I got it sussed but I panicked ( and got angry ) there for a second.

And it's still going to download the last 2GB. The fuq??

Edited by disolusiond

Yay, I saved the world! Time for my just rewards, the sleep I haven't had since this unlocked...