Sign in to follow this  
wile1411

Dasa High End Rig

Hi all,

I've been out of the hardware loop and just want to get a gaming rig up and running. I'm pretty much happy to take someones spec and build that via Static Ice and the bank account.

I saw the thread that Dasa has and like the look of the High end rig.

Would there be any recommended changes that you would suggest if my uses include the following itms I have planned:

Triple head gaming (eventually... ie once I have the money for the other two monitors)

Gaming to a high end short throw projector

(in case anyone is wondering why both choices above, I like Sci Fi and racing and for both these genres, the more immersive, the better.)

Any "quiet" options which still keeping performance would be great too.

Edited by wile1411

Not really any changes, for triple monitor gaming the 7970 is the recommended GPU.

Case and peripherals are personal preference.

You can either drown it or go for a case with good airflow for quietness. I hear good things about the Fractal Design cases and the XL black would be a good home for those bits.

if you intend to only use one display for a while maybe start with a 7950 and put of going to multiple displays till next gen gpu are out and buy two of them

we might see something early next year maybe sooner if were lucky

for air cooling this hsf should be fairly good NZXT Havik 140 $69

gpu will probably be the loudest thing especially once you get more than one unless you can be bothered with watercooling

gpu will probably be the loudest thing especially once you get more than one unless you can be bothered with watercooling

Yep GPU fans can get a bit whiny when they ramp up the speed. Finally got jack of mine on an old HD 5870 and fitted an Arctic Cooler after market HSF to it.

Specifically the now superceded tin turbo pro.

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/disconti...pro.html?c=2210

Current coolers are here

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/vga.html

you can get gpu that are fairly quiet when your only using one easy enough its if you want to run more than one that the trouble starts although a case with strong positive pressure like the ft02 will help

Wow - thanks for the replies. Righty-O, getting done to business...

To give you an idea how long I've been out of it, my current GPU which only blow up about 3 months back was a ATI 9800XT which has been going strong for the last 10yrs or so. Been running on a modern laptop since the breakdown.

One note, I'm very sick of clearing dust out of the stocking filters I added to the old case and cleaning dust grime off the inside of fans. That said, I'm happy to chip in a bit extra for better airflow and dust reduction. The PC will be on a laminated box about 20cm off the ground to get about from the carpet. (I need the desk space)

I've looked at the various bits listed on the Highend Rig and I'm locking in the CPU, MB & MEM (unless someone thinks it's worth waiting for the UP5 or UP7 model MBs)

For cooling, I've never played with Water cooling so the Noctua NH-D14 is locked in there.

The case I was thinking of going with was the Thermaltake Level10, but your suggestions on the FT02 were interesting . I looked up a review and I love the removable filter AND the layer of foam for the intake, but I also keep seeing articles about the FT02 causing issues where the 90degree rotation causes GPU heatpipe cooling to not work as efficiently. Is there more information on why this one is recommended for a high end rig?

OK MEM, MB, CPU & Cooling done. (Case is TBD)

I'll ignore the DVD option as they are more personal preference than performance

HDD/SSD will be around the same price as the recommended spec, But I'm thinking WD Caviar black 1TB HDD + OCZ Vertex4 256G SSD

So onto PSU what I'll just use the recommended SeaSonic 860w Platinum asI'll probably need the extra juice for the triple head gaming later on.

And finally the GPU and cooler... no idea at the moment still researching the case to work out what works/doesn't with the 90degree rotation.

From looking around it sounds like if I want Crossfire or SLI in a FT02 case that the only GPU with a good heatsink for the 90 degree orientation is the Sapphire 7970.

While the MSI GeForce GTX 680 has the same horizontal pipe orientation, I see that the 680 has 4 out of the 5 pipes below the heat source. The 7970 has 3 out of 5 below the heat source.

*sigh* considering a rethink on the case ATM

If you're looking for a higher end case, there is also the TJ07 and the 800D you could look at, although a little pricey. I don't think you will have problems with a FT02 though. There is the Define XL which is still roomy, and a bit cheaper. I actually have 2 Fractal cases and think they are quite good.

I don't think you really need something as big as an 800D or the TJ07 t's just gonna be a waste of space.

I like my P280 a lot it's quiet, has good cable management and if you add a fan (or two) to the front of the case it has good cooling. The Fractal Design R4 looks very nice and if you need to extra room then like Poison said the XL is a good quiet choice.

Mate I know you said you've never dabbled with water cooling but I can recommend the Corsair H100 water cooling kit. It's a closed loop and doesn't need refilling etc. It's essentially an install and forget type scenario. I run 4.8ghz daily and my CPU never gets about 54 degrees, even when gaming. Just food for thought.

yeh, the H100 are a very good cooling solution, if you want off the shelf, and if you just want/need to cool the CPU

a custom solution is of course superior, but a lot more costly and a lot more fucking about

having had both, I'd have to say it just depends on what you want - if you want to cool graphics cards, chipsets, RAM, HDD's etc as well, a Corsair H100 isn't really an option. if you just want the CPU cooled, then it might be what you're looking for.