buwan

Are you glad you went Eyefinity ?

Is Eyefinity worth it?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Is Eyefinity worth $500?

• Yes
    • No
    • Candy

Hi, I am interested in Eyefinity after reading some rave reviews about it. I talked to a friend the other day who has it who said he bought a 51" plasma and prefers to use that as his monitor. What are your opinions when it comes to gaming on a large screen or multiple screens. I got some pricing and it works out the upgrade will cost me $400 - $500. Do you think this is a good deal? If your a Surround user voice your experiences as well.

Edited by buwan

Personally I would always go with one large screen for gaming.

I wouldn't use a 51" though, the PPI on that would be horrible!

I use a Crossover 27" with 2560x1440.

when flying low in bf3 it would be great to see whats to your side before you turn into it and crash this is once place i think 3 monitors would be great and there is plenty of other situations where it would be to

but the down sides are costs due to extra monitors and gpu grunt

and the combination of 3 gpu with eye infinity increases the number of driver problems you are likely to experience significantly

i agree using a tv would be horrible in most pc games although it would be fine with a lot of console ports to sit back on the couch with a gamepad or for people with bad eye sight who can sit fairly close and have all the large pixels blur together

but even a 80" 1080p tv still doesnt let you see see any more that you could on a 20" 1080p monitor it just stretches it all out to make it bigger so it doesnt come close to offer what eyeinfinity does

Edited by Dasa

I'd never buy a 51" TV to play PC games on unless I was sitting on the other side of the room, it will look terrible.

There are a whole heaps of 27" IPS panels coming out from various manufacturers in the coming 2-8 weeks, some 1920x1080 (1080P HD) and some 2560x1440 (Retina Display). I'd pick up one of those over a 51" TV any day of the week, and it will likely cost you around the same for a far superior panel.

As for Eyefinity, I like it, but getting the desk space together is a challenge if you live in an apartment.

I game on 3x24" and also have a 40" tv hooked up, for gaming the eyefinity is far more immersive and i find it gives a mild advantage in games like bf3 as having that extra field of view makes it alot easier to see that pesky infantry trying to flank you, or flying choppers/jets in hardcore you can see almost every angle without having to rightclick>scroll around

driver wise i haven't noticed anymore issues when running 4 screens instead of 1

Guest xyzzy frobozz

driver wise i haven't noticed anymore issues when running 4 screens instead of 1

Oooooh! ePeen!

Kidding.

I game on a 30" 2560x1600. It's glorious and I wouldn't go back to HD.

If I did, I think I would actually prefer the smallest HD resolution screen available (for sharpness) and then Eyefinity x 3. The advantage to that is you get the real estate, without taking up too much real estate....

Thanks for the replys guys, I am leaning towards Eyefinity (I like the Codemasters racing games). Desktop realestate shouldnt be a problem because I have a desk that should be able to fit all 3 monitors. Just need to find a bargain 7950 and active display port adaptor :)

To me the choice of going high res monitors or 3 monitors can be easily addressed. What type of games do you play? IF you favor more sim/racing style games(even rts games imho) Eyefinity works like a dream. However if you're more the arcade shooter style persona, or absolute max graphics nut, then you may want to look at the single monitor high resolution solution.

In closure i would like to state that i'm a very happy eyefinity user who is currently playing torchlight 2, arma 2 with a variety of realism mods and wargame : EE all on eyefinity, and have the option of running any other games such as battlefield 3 at 120hz. So i believe i have the best of both worlds :D

Let me also leave this here for you to browse.

Personally I would always go with one large screen for gaming.

This

/end thread

edit: in saying that I make do with the 15.5" one in my laptop which happens to be IPS and 1080P so its a good trade off.

Edited by nesquick

grabbed two more 2560x1440 27" monitors to try out eyefinity

the fisheye effect is a fair bit worst than i was expecting in most the games i have played so far

dirt 3 is an exception (ripped the doors off)

Posted Image

camera shows up fairly strongly here the difference between the u2711 on the right and the two u2713 which have less red but more yellow and tend to bleed red into the other colors with blue being slightly pinker by comparison

a bit more time calibrating it may help but there is only so much you can do with rgb settings on the monitor and they cant be tweaked individually with software due to windows seeing all monitors as one

most games are more like this notice how the round tanks with a center pole are not so round and centered

Posted Image

and in this one the bar on the left is on the outside edge of the center screen while the bar on the right is on the outside edge of the right screen

now the thing is both those bars are the same size and the same distance away so the increased field of view two extra monitors giving me is much less than one extra monitors worth

Posted Image

this is a normal effect in most games im afraid and if you put that bar in the center of the center screen it is half the size again

best workaround for these games would be to flip the monitors into portrait so the res goes from (8064x with bezel compensation) 7680x1440 to 4320x2560 so i need to do somthing with monitor stands

Edited by Dasa